Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The final nail - the proptery tax - my rant on TAX

124»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Maura74

MMAGirl wrote: »
    It should be a tax similar to the uk council tax. Everyone should pay it and there should be no discrimination against home owners.
    Of course I understand yhat those who dont own homes want the home owners to pay and not spread it to everyone, so they dont have to. Human nature, but unfair all the same.

This is not the council tax, it was called the poll tax, which was under Margaret Thatchers regime. There was many riots because of the poll tax therefore it was abolished and replaced with council tax, which is a tax on each property. It is much easier to collect that taxes on properties as they stay in one place and do not moved like people. It was difficult to collect the poll taxes as people moving ot avoid it and a lot did not pay. Therefore in the end it proved too difficult to collect from moving people then, but I think that would not apply today with all the checks on people movements today.

You are correct the poll tax was much fairer on people as everyone had to pay something towards it and not just on a property where there might be just one elderly person living in the same size home and on a small fix pension. The next house next to s/he would be paying the same tax on the same size property may have 3 or 4 working people and would have to pay the same as the property tax as the person living alone on a small fixed income. frown.pngfrown.png

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=poll+tax+riots+1990&qpvt=poll+tax+riots+1990&FORM=VDRE

http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/dates/stories/march/31/newsid_2530000/2530763.stm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 484 ✭✭MMAGirl

Maura74 wrote: »
    This is not the council tax, it was called the poll tax, which was under Margaret Thatchers regime. There was many riots because of the poll tax therefore it was abolished and replaced with council tax, which is a tax on each property. It is much easier to collect that taxes on properties as they stay in one place and do not moved like people. It was difficult to collect the poll taxes as people moving ot avoid it and a lot did not pay. Therefore in the end it proved too difficult to collect from moving people then, but I think that would not apply today with all the checks on people movements today.

You are correct the poll tax was much fairer on people as everyone had to pay something towards it and not just on a property where there might be just one elderly person living in the same size home and on a small fix pension. The next house next to s/he would be paying the same tax on the same size property may have 3 or 4 working people and would have to pay the same as the property tax as the person living alone on a small fixed income. frown.pngfrown.png

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=poll+tax+riots+1990&qpvt=poll+tax+riots+1990&FORM=VDRE

http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/dates/stories/march/31/newsid_2530000/2530763.stm

The council tax is what they have today and is much the same as what the poll tax was. Thats what we should have here. Not a tax on one sector of society. The problem we have in Ireland is that everyone who professes that the country is broke and we need to raise money, wants someone else to pay a higher share of tax than them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Maura74

MMAGirl wrote: »
    The council tax is what they have today and is much the same as what the poll tax was. Thats what we should have here. Not a tax on one sector of society. The problem we have in Ireland is that everyone who professes that the country is broke and we need to raise money, wants someone else to pay a higher share of tax than them.

No, its very different to what we have today, it was much fairer back in the 90's in the UK as the tax was apportioned to each person living a house and not on the house itself. Now it is the same as Ireland but it is much higher than Ireland's house tax. I live in a small one bedroom flat in London and if I did not live alone I would have to pay over a grand a year but I get a discount for living alone and I pay £800 a year.

It would benefit me if the tax was based on the amount of people living in people homes as I would pay much less than I do now. However they are never going to bring back the poll tax as people would not pay it and it was too difficult to collect. Also the highest band rate bands (and are the governments friends) in the UK pays very little compared to the lowest rate band as there are more of us. Grrrrrrrrr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

darkhorse wrote: »
    Agreed. Are we not already paying enough by way of mortgage, mortgage interest, home maintainence, home insurance, furnishings etc, all with borrowed money, that, for a large section of the population, will not even have these debts paid back within their lifetime, without also having to pay an annual rent on our homes. The best comment that I heard in relation to this was in one of the newspapers on thursday, which was "If a government can afford to take less than half the effective rate of tax from big corporations, then why does it need a property tax".

Because the Troika told it to. Everything else is irrelevant. You have been sold to the loan sharks in Brussels. Learn to live with it!

There is a more significant issue here, although I admit that it is one for which I cannot find any substantiation at the moment (surprise?), and that is that the previous FF government told the Troika that they would attempt to recover the full cost of water supply services from water metering and charging. Now, apparently, the Troika are demanding that the current government do that. Now translate that to local services in general. From where will those costs be recovered? The household charge, of course. So will the Troika insist that all local services be funded from local taxes and not from general taxation as in the past?

So, when these charges, levies, taxes, are imposed ("because the EU insists upon it") will general taxation reduce accordingly to achieve balance? The main political parties, at the next general election, will offer all sorts of promises in that respect ("Labour's way and not Frankfurt's way."), and Nirvana will return to the shores of Eireann. Except that, three weeks after forming a government that only exists with the support of a minority party that few voted for, the people will be told that the promises couldn't actually be kept for the moment because the EU wouldn't permit that (you sophisticated and expert statesmen didn't know that? Really?). However, negotiations with the EU will be pursued, and a seismic change will be anticipated.

Meanwhile, if you live in anything from a cardboard box on a street to a semi in a suburb, or even in a cottage in the country, you must pay for water, sewage disposal, waste disposal, the local Gardai station that was closed last year, and roads the the Army have rejected as possible tank testing sites as being too rough for tracked vehicles.

Faced with the decline in the economies the ECB will note that domestic economies must be encouraged in order to stimulate growth. It will not take note of the possibility that if the common man no longer has any disposable income, he might not actually buy anything. The government will be criticised for not stimulating the economy when it has not been allowed any means of doing so, even if it had the faintest idea of how to.

All is not lost, however. The sacred euro has been protected for the next twenty minutes, and the international investors and bond holders have been secured. Just keep turning the turnips and the potatoes and all will be well!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭FREETV

Here are links about the protests about the property tax and the one being held on April 13. Make these viral on the other social networks people of Ireland! http://nohouseholdtax.org/
    https://www.facebook.com/NoHouseholdTax
    http://www.swp.ie/content/protest-against-property-tax-april-13th
    Fe #k the hopeless Government and the Troika! Stand up against the tyranny and be counted and stop this unjust, unfair house tax. Let the rich pay and the high earners/corporations if they want to but not the low paid or the middle class or pensioners :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement