Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extra Subject for LC if I don't do Irish

Options
  • 25-03-2013 2:31am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭

Hello I'm currently doing my Junior Cert, I'm just wondering considering I don't do irish for various reasons if I'd be able to do an extra subject instead for my Leaving Cert.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

You can do as many subjects as you want for the LC outside school. Your problem will be if you want to do it in school while the others are doing Irish, as that will be hugely expensive for your school to provide. Most people who don't do Irish sit at the back of Irish classes and study some other subject.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Assuming your school normally teaches 7 subjects for the Leaving Cert, not doing Irish means you still have 6 subjects like me. That's okay because 6 you only need 6 subjects for Leaving Cert BUT most people like to do 7, in case they're weak in one of their subjects etc. I myself took up Applied Maths instead of Irish.

As spurious said, the school can't afford to teach you an extra subject while everybody is doing Irish, you'll have to study this by yourself or get grinds on your own time unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Bazinga_N

I know in my school a lot of the teachers are brilliant. They do classes after school in subjects like History, Applied Maths, Economics, Accounting, etc. for students who want to take them. Free of charge. Maybe if there was a good few of ye who wanted to do a particular subject you could propose something to the school and they might be able to sort something. Obviously it's not always possible but it's worth a try.

Advertisement