Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Season 3 Episode 15 - This Sorrowful Life [** Spoilers **]

• 25-03-2013 3:06am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭

So, the spoilers were true...GAH!!!

Poor darryl...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭ArtyM

The episode itself was ok - loose ends tied up, atmosphere created, and preparation done for the forthcoming climax but....
    Sweet Jesus, what a horrible horrible final scene.
    Hadn't seen the previews, so I was not prepared for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Such a shi1y path they had to take in this episode, why the hell did they have to have that ending, not fair

Really loosing my patience with this season, none of it makes any sence

Major
    RIP Meryl you were one of me fave characters, along with shane, yet people like Carol live on????????

Also from the way the episode started I was sure I missed one in between? Even though I know I didn't.

**** you writers, **** you.

Also LOL
    Where the **** was Andrea, after focusing on her the last 3 or 4 episodes she was no where to be seen, i know shes locked up and all but jesus christ, sorry really frustrated

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 225 ✭✭SicklySweet

I admit, a tear was shed :(
    Norman Reedus is a fantastic actor

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

I liked the episode, it wasn't as slow as last week's one, but I did find the transition between me liking Merle for being the voice of reason, and then all of a sudden me not liking him for actually capturing Michonne too sudden. Though he redeemed himself in the end, must have taken out at least 8 of their best men.
    Some ass on reddit spoiled Merle's death for me so I was expecting it, kinda took away from the ending.

@Above, why did you think it was a ****ty path? If you don't want characters you like to die this might not be the best show for you.
    What didn't make sense?

I thought Daryl was good in the final scene, he didn't over play it.

I know some people haven't liked this season, I've enjoyed it, but I'm really excited for season 4. The guy who wrote this episode, as well as Clear, 18 Miles out, Pretty Much Dead Already and a few others, basically he wrote every good episode in the series from season 2 onwards is the show runner for season 4 so hopefully he can get the right balance of story vs action.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

Terrific episode. The acting and dialogue was uniformly brilliant, especially Michael Rooker and Norman Reedus, but admirably supported by Andrew Lincoln.

Some genuinely moving scenes. It's such a shame Merle is gone as he was a terrific character, he showed both sides of his personality in taking and then releasing Michonne.

Pretty sadistic of The Gov the way he didn't shoot him in the head.

Despite it being such a good episode i'm on a massive downer now. Really loved the character, then there is only 1 episode left (which has a lot to live up to now) and then the long wait for next season. Bad buzz.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭el dude

Great episode. Gutted really, just when we were getting somewhere with Merle, he's gone. No more Rooker either, who was amazing in this episode when given something he could sink his teeth into. You really felt the innnerturmoil. it was very well done but it's really sad to lose such a great character and actor, that episode was all him and it's the second best after the pilot for me.

And all thanks to that muppet Rick, who else. Seriously, what a blundering indecisive fool, then he gives another one of his cringy speeches and everything's meant to be okay.

Poor Daryl, hopefully he'll grow a pair now and stop blindly following that clown.

No one at the prison seems all that bothered that at any moment a small army led by a complete psycho could come crashing through the front gate.  

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

It didn't make sence cause even if they never went through on there initial plan in the previous episode, it wasn't even a plan. Rick was offered it and he told anyone who mattered he wouldn't do it. This episodes hes going around to everyone telling them we're gonna do it, I mean like wtf. Then he says no we wont. Before we know it Meryl has kidnapped Michonne and is bringing her to the governor, but no, hes not, lets stick a knife down Meryls entire character and we`ll let her go free.

Also the car scene was ridiculous. he sets off a loud alarm and you can hear Michonne shouting but Meryl just keeps fiddling with it even though hes so called Military trained. Also wtf was with the wedding thing? It didn't fit in anywhere.

Sorry but thats just how I feel about that entire episode

It`s like they have a buildup of a character like then I would be ok with it, 4 Episodes with Andrea then
    meryl just dies gg

I might just be angry after loosing one of my favourite characters after Shane

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,810 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Can anyone who watched this show please tell me whether it was worth while, before I go shelling out good money on Blu-ray for Seasons 1 and 2? I watched the first and second episodes as they were shown back to back and managed to catch the 3rd and 4th in that order, which was nothing short of a miracle!

If anyone has any general opinions or comments that you'd like to share about this show, I would welcome your thoughts and remarks without posting any spoilers!

Thank you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,537 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Spoiler warning added to thread title.

Shield, if you liked what you saw, you'll enjoy watching more. There are some slow episodes throughout, but when the great episodes air, they make the slow ones worthwhile.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,322 ✭✭✭RoryMac

It's a show that is probably better suited to watching a few episodes at a time on dvd/Blu-Ray rather than on tv where you have to wait a week as the pacing can be off at times but some real standout episodes in each season.

Well worth getting the money IMO

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Sarz91

Shield wrote: »
    Can anyone who watched this show please tell me whether it was worth while, before I go shelling out good money on Blu-ray for Seasons 1 and 2? I watched the first and second episodes as they were shown back to back and managed to catch the 3rd and 4th in that order, which was nothing short of a miracle!

If anyone has any general opinions or comments that you'd like to share about this show, I would welcome your thoughts and remarks without posting any spoilers!

Thank you.

Season 1 and 3 are fantastic (Season 3 thus far.). I didn't much care for season 2. I was honestly going to stop watching The walking dead for good half way through season 2. I just found it horribly slow and not all that amusing. I understand the budget was cut for season 2 but that's just my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Shane St.

Pity Merle is gone.. Thought he was an excellent character and the actor who played him did a good job. I am intrigued to know which way the season will move forward for next season.

nuxxx wrote: »
    It didn't make sence cause even if they never went through on there initial plan in the previous episode, it wasn't even a plan. Rick was offered it and he told anyone who mattered he wouldn't do it. This episodes hes going around to everyone telling them we're gonna do it, I mean like wtf. Then he says no we wont. Before we know it Meryl has kidnapped Michonne and is bringing her to the governor, but no, hes not, lets stick a knife down Meryls entire character and we`ll let her go free.

Also the car scene was ridiculous. he sets off a loud alarm and you can hear Michonne shouting but Meryl just keeps fiddling with it even though hes so called Military trained. Also wtf was with the wedding thing? It didn't fit in anywhere.

Sorry but thats just how I feel about that entire episode

It`s like they have a buildup of a character like then I would be ok with it, 4 Episodes with Andrea then
    meryl just dies gg

I might just be angry after loosing one of my favourite characters after Shane

You sure you didn't miss the last 5 minutes of the episode two weeks ago?
    Rick had a conversation with Hershel that he would give up Michonne to protect the people, however he told people that they were going to war just to scare them because he felt they needed to be scared to be ready.
    He changed his mind mid episode, after he told Merle, and Daryl, but Merle was gone with Michonne already.

Merle wasn't a bad guy deep down, he knew that, and Michonne knew that.
    He let her go, but he knew it was too late for him in the group so he went out with a bang. Again, if you don't like characters dying, this isn't the show for you.

The car alarm scene was one of the best scenes in the whole episode. Merle is directly beside the source of the sound so it is FAR louder for him, he can't hear Michonne.

What was wrong with the wedding thing? It happens in the comics, it happens in the show. Its just a bit of romantic relief.

It seems this isn't the show for you if you're going to have a hissy fit every time a character you like dies. Get over it, that was a brilliant episode and you're just trying to find problems with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Why have we 2 threads on the same episode.

One of the best episodes of the series,wasn't expecting
    what happened to Merle as he gets shot & left to turn
    , it goes to show what kind of sadist the Governor is.

Unlike last weeks episode,I couldn't find any glaring holes in the plot or inexplicable decisions by the characters (step up Andrea)

Really looking forward to the final episode but I don't want the series to end if that makes any sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭tvnutz

Now that was an excellent episode!

The end was sad but inevitable, I never saw Merle lasting despite what a good character he was. After everything he did to Glen and Maggie there was no way he would ever be accepted into the group,he was always going to be killed off. But they did it really well.

Hopefully the season finale will be a good one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭ArtyM

zerks wrote: »
    Why have we 2 threads on the same episode.

This thread was posted as I was in the process of posting the other. Have pm'd a mod requesting a merge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,795 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Sad to see Merle go, he did gun down an impressive amount though. Will be interested to see if the season finale is decent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

The episode was alright.

Still think it's way too slow though. The past 4 episodes have been used up this so call war, but yet they're only going to show the war over one episode? :confused:

I don't get the idea behind that. Surely 2 episodes at least for the big fight/finale to the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

As send off episodes go that was pretty decent . I particularly enjoyed the exchanges between Merle and Rick and Merle and Daryl where he correctly predicts Rick wont be able to go through with the exchange and calls his brother a sheep for following a bunch of hypocrites who despise him for doing what they now intend to do . What really sold Merles transformation tho, from the unrepentant racist who would have left that hispanic family on the bridge to die to someone willing to sacrifice himself , was the conversation between Michonne and Merle where she basically tells him Daryl would be better off without him , that he had found a new family and they needed him . I think at that point Merle came to the conclusion his lil brothers was all growd up and didn't need him anymore , that infact he was a millstone around Daryls neck with these people, with him constantly having to have excuses made for his wayward behaviour, and figured well if I can't live with these people I'll die to protect whatever measure of contentment my brother has found with them. Kinda noble really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Best episode in a while, I reckon. A good conclusion to the Daryl/Merle arc, a nice addition to Michonne's too. No one has mentioned Merle's use of the phone yet. I liked that touch.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭willmunny1990

Pissed off about
    Meryls death
    Great actor and character.

There are so many unlikable wooden characters in the show I mean Jesus Christ you think they would of bumped off at least one of them at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭sparkthatbled

One of only 2 good episodes in the second half of the season. I had a feeling someone would die this week and after Merle grabbed Michonne there was obviously no way back for him. Shocked that he turned, though... Sad to see him gone, really. I was holding out hope that he'd run off and show up again somewhere next season.

The finale should be good, has to be good. They've clearly been saving as much budget for it as possible! Also the GoT premiere the same day will make for a great double header!

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭mariebeth

Thought it was a great episode. I've been a bit annoyed over the last few weeks with all the 'filler' episodes, and I know this kind of was a filler as well, but it was brilliant.

Still feeling shocked over the final scene, I really didn't expect that
    Merle would die & turn. Poor Darryl having to put him down. There was more than a few tears shed by me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭SirDelboy18

Props to them for making his death scene so chilling (IMO).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,966 ✭✭✭Liamalone

Got a similar feeling when poor Merle looked up with a mouthful of kidney as I did when Sophia came staggering out of thon barn ......... aawwwww feck :( sort of feeling.

Other than the last 15mins I felt it wasn't a great episode, the series gonna close with a whimper next week lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

Im gutted, although it was ruined for me by a spoiler I accidently saw online so I was expecting it.

Good episode although overall this war between the prison and Woodbury is way too dragged out.

I wasnt really expecting the moral redemption of Merle, but he played it well.

What I dont understand is, at the point where Merle freed Michonne, why didnt he suggest to her that the two of them go and kill the Governor? They could have done it together, or at least had a much better shot at it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭cjmcork

I really enjoyed the ep - it was helped by the fact that I spent all week and today dodging spoilers! felt bad for poor Merle and gutted for Daryl.....half expected Maggie or Glen to be on the receiving end of an ole bullet there on their close up (I don't think anyone is safe in it now - even half-expected Rick to be taken out!!!)

really looking forward to the season finale, but gutted it's finished now till the autumn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

That was an absolutely brutal death for Merle, another illustration of just how much of a sick and vicious **** the Governor is.

The ending was, of course, emotional. I wish I hadn't read spoilers elsewhere last week though, as that ending might well of had me blubbing if I hadn't.

I don't think it was meant to be funny but Glen's whole "Here's an engagement ring i got off a walker" thing cracked me up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Really liked this episode.
    I don't get peoples constant criticism of the show. Yes, there have been some poor episodes. Yes, there has been some plot holes throughout. But as a whole, It's one of the most gripping tv shows I've ever watched.

This episode was great. Really well paced, tied up a few loose ends, and gave us an emotional ending. Even though Merle was an ass, I liked him. He wasn't a bad guy deep down. He's obviously a conflicted person and had a bad upbringing at the hands of an abusive father and it really messed him up.
    I loved the scene where Daryll says "I just want my brother back". Merles reaction is priceless. He doesn't know how to deal with that and his reply of "Get out of here man!" cracked me up.

The show can't be non-stop action in every episode. There has to be lulls in the action to develop characters a bit. People are complaining when the episodes are "boring" and doesn't have enough action.....and then when we're given a cracking episode like this one, they say it's still not good enough and get annoyed when a character dies in such a memorable scene. Seriously, what more do you want?! There's just no pleasing some people.

Just realised Game of Thrones season premiere, starts the same time as the Walking Dead finale... hmm which to choose..

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭Brian_Zeluz

Was it just me or did the wheels on Merles car change from when he takes it to when he rolls out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Was it just me or did the wheels on Merles car change from when he takes it to when he rolls out?

Nit-picking Olympics winner!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭30txsbzmcu2k9w

Decent episode.

But I have to agree with some opinions shared,
    seems like a mistake to kill off a character as multifaceted now as that when bores like Glen shuffle from one moany scene to the next. Ugh.
    Michael Rooker had great screen presence too, easily one of the stronger links in the cast.

I actually couldn´t care less about any of the characters now,
    with the exception of Daryl.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,294 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Man, I think it was a bad decision to get rid of Merle. I said it before in another thread, but he had huge potential as an antagonist within the group but ultimately a good guy (like Sawyer from the earlier seasons of Lost). Next season will probably need to focus more on the group (can't imagine them meeting another group of people and entering a war with them quite so soon) and conflicts within the group. Merle fit that role perfectly, and it's one I don't see Michonne or Tyreese being able to fill.

I would have preferred if instead of letting Michonne out, he enlisted her to help him kill the Governor, then before they have a chance to, Daryl showed up and they have to save him and retreat. Still would have had a pretty great episode, you could have Merle in the finale and even if they still wanted to kill him off, could have done it early in Season 4.

I can understand why Shane had to die. His character simply crossed a line that he couldn't come back from. But Merle was kinda redeeming himself. Like I said, he probably never would have been fully accepted (though now I think of it, if he'd made it to the finale and either saved Beth and the baby or even died saving them, at least he would have died with a bit more honour and respect), but he had the potential to remain a valuable member of the group.

It was a very good episode though. Definitely warming a lot more to Michonne now. I think part of the problem was that she was put into Woodbury in the story too early. She barely used her sword for the first 6 or so episodes. Watching her casually walk through the yard and decapitate two walkers never gets old. And she's becoming kinda funny too.

Daryl and Rick had great moments in the episode too, but Merle stole the show.

RIP you crazy one-armed three-fingered bastard.

• Advertisement

two fingered :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

El Guapo! wrote: »
    Really liked this episode.
    I don't get peoples constant criticism of the show. Yes, there have been some poor episodes. Yes, there has been some plot holes throughout. But as a whole, It's one of the most gripping tv shows I've ever watched.

The show is based on popular comic book and is the first tv show based in the Zombie genre so inevitably expectations are heightened and as you admit yourself the show has had many poor episodes and glaring plotholes throughout its run , so to my mind the criticism is fair. When its on its game the show is as you say thrilling but just raising your game for mid & end of season finales isn't good enough in my opinion . The quality of the writing needs to be more consistent next season , since the mid season break ended the only good eps have been written my next seasons show runner Scott Gimble and while that gives me hope he can only write so many episodes himself.
    El Guapo! wrote: »
    This episode was great. Really well paced, tied up a few loose ends, and gave us an emotional ending. Even though Merle was an ass, I liked him. He wasn't a bad guy deep down. He's obviously a conflicted person and had a bad upbringing at the hands of an abusive father and it really messed him up.
    I loved the scene where Daryll says "I just want my brother back". Merles reaction is priceless. He doesn't know how to deal with that and his reply of "Get out of here man!" cracked me up.

+1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,294 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Liamalone wrote: »
    two fingered :P

A thumb is a finger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

Honestly felt like I watched a different episode to you guys

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Oscorp

At least Merle bowed out on a diet of whiskey and rock 'n' roll.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 757 ✭✭✭colly_06

Shield wrote: »

Thank you.

Watch both seasons on Netflix for free if you haven't joined yet? HD quality too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

I had nearly lost all hope for The Walking Dead until this episode, it really re-awakened my interest in it !! The ending was amazing, had a lump in my throat watching it :(

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭martomcg

By any chance was the kid who 'took' the Governors bullet (that Merle shot from the window of the barn) the son of Tyrese's companion who he keeps fighting with?

Looked very like him!

Also like most people really liked Merle. The Lost-Saywer comparison is the best way to put it and the actor is fantastic.

I think they may regret killing him off, especially with that clown Andrea still alive.

Also nice how Glen and Maggie havent had much screen time in the last couple of episodes and all of a sudden they're getting married! Somehow I dont think they'll both make it to season 4!!

martomcg wrote: »
    By any chance was the kid who 'took' the Governors bullet (that Merle shot from the window of the barn) the son of Tyrese's companion who he keeps fighting with?

I'm pretty sure it was the kid Merle took in his group to hunt Michonne when she left Woodbury.

Penn wrote: »

A thumb is a finger.

Negative

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

I'm going to have to watch this episode again based on all your positive reviews. I thought it was a snore-fest until the last 2 mins

The Lost-Saywer comparison is the best way to put it and the actor is fantastic.

I like Merle, but this comparison is way off!!!

Merle was a violent racist meth head red neck.
    Sawyer was a pretty boy red neck with a smart mouth.

About the only thing they had in common was their southern accents!

I'm pretty sure it was the kid Merle took in his group to hunt Michonne when she left Woodbury.

Actually, I was wrong, it WAS that guys kid, according to wikipedia...

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭martomcg

I like Merle, but this comparison is way off!!!

Sawyer was a pretty boy red neck with a smart mouth.

About the only thing they had in common was their southern accents!

Your looking specifically at who the characters are and not what they portray. They're both a kind of anti-hero. Someone who is all about their own survival but under it all does care about those they've wronged and the things they've done.

Shane filled that role to a lesser extent before he was killed off.

Who's to say Daryl is any different? The only reason Merle has become what he is boils down to what he's had to do to survive as part of the Governers crew.

Your looking specifically at who the characters are and not what they portray. They're both a kind of anti-hero. Someone who is all about their own survival but under it all does care about those they've wronged and the things they've done.

The same could be said of Rick. A man who killed his best friend to protect himself and his family. Who left Merle chained to a roof - sure he went back, but would he have done if Daryl wasnt there?

I dont buy Daryl being a racist meth head - we havent seen any indications of it? Where has he shown an interest in getting drugs? And if anything he has defended Glenn against Merles racism by correcting him about his ethnicity as one example.

I dont think that Merle is who he is because of the Governor, at all - he was a nut job when we first came across him, high and attacking T Dog because he was a black man.

• Advertisement
Advertisement