Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Season 3 Episode 15 - This Sorrowful Life [** Spoilers **]

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

A problem I find is I don't think they ever established the prison as a place worth fighting for, the fences are ****ed, there's a hole in the wall of one of the buildings allowing zombies to roam the halls and they never got the generator working so it's always dark and dank. In the comics we got to see them enjoy some creature comforts before the **** hit the fan so you could understand why they would stay and fight.

Yeah I totally agree. It doesnt seem worth fighting for at all. The only reason I can see for staying in it is that it means youre not out on the road. Although given how low the walkers seem to figure as a threat these days, being out on the road might not be the big deal it was.

I thought it was a little odd that we have come across people like Tyreese and his gang on foot with bludgeoning weapons trying to stealthily make their way through the outside world and losing people as they go, pleading to be allowed join a group for safety - and then we have Merle sauntering along carelessly with a tied up Michonne, talking out loud and jump starting a car with relative ease.

Another thing I wonder about is why some people are not travelling on bikes - I mean bicycles, it would be much more efficient than walking, you wouldnt have to worry about obstacles, you would get away from walkers quicker, and you wouldnt have to worry about jump starting vehicles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,269 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

A car gives you a "safe" place to sleep. On a bike you're sleeping in the open / tents.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Cyridius

Sleepy wrote: »
    A car gives you a "safe" place to sleep. On a bike you're sleeping in the open / tents.

Not to mention you can't plow through walkers on a Bicycle.

Sleepy wrote: »

Oh yeah, I agree a car is safe, but for example Tyreeses group, they were on foot anyway so they were out in the open anyway. Or the on foot hiker.

The point is, not everyone can hot wire a car like Merle, and lots of car batteries will be going flat over time, plus you keep running out of fuel.

It was just a thought, it seems like an obvious mode of transport that we havent seen anyone use except Rick in the very first episode.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Rick had a bicycle in the pilot ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Can't believe they killed off Merle, he was such a brilliant character. I was actually stunned. Super episode though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

Michael Rooker wasn't happy with both the decision to write him off and how Merle went out too. :(

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/03/27/michael-rooker-merle-the-walking-dead_n_2962842.html
    "I thought it was unfortunate, and I did not necessarily agree with the choice to do this," Rooker said. "It was a big build up and you really didn't get the true payoff ... I don't think a lot of the true 'Walking Dead' fans are happy with this. But, as you know, as actors, we don't have a choice in the matter."

Rooker also told TV Guide that he didn't exactly like the way the scene between Merle and The Governor wound up. "The way it was edited, it looked like Merle actually missed The Governor, which is kind of dumb. But that's my own opinion," the actor explained. "There's no reason why he would've missed except for the zombie hitting him and causing him to miss."

Jason Todd wrote: »
    Michael Rooker wasn't happy with the decision with both the decision to write him off and how Merle went out too. :(

Aw, poor Michael. FWIW - Im not happy about it either!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

That's not to say they can't bring him back in flashbacks, I'd love if they did an episode dedicated to what happens while Rick is unconscious in the hospital, we get a glimpse of it with Lori and Shane in the 2nd (?) season but it'd be cool to see how the other members of the camp wound up meeting while everything is going to sh1t as a one off episode, they should do more standalone stories like the Morgan ep a few weeks back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

Perhaps they could do a mini series like they did with the bicycle woman involving him?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

Ah lads, get away from the flashback idea!
    We got closure to his arc. A spin-off/flashback for the sake of the audience missing the actor would cheapen the death.
    Plus, he's not going to say he's upset as an actor if he had something else lined up with the same crew. He's dead, and I can't imagine him being interested in appearing the same way Lori does or whatever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

I liked Merle as a character, seems the writers kill off anyone that requires abit of thought to write about!

Dempsey wrote: »
    I liked Merle as a character, seems the writers kill off anyone that requires abit of thought to write about!

T-Dogg and Lori will greatly appreciate the praise in there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Shane was probably the most complex character killed off, he was my favourite :(:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭pookiesboo

Over 100 comments and counting regarding Merles demise. Its Princess Diana all over again

pookiesboo wrote: »
    Over 100 comments and counting regarding Merles demise. Its Princess Diana all over again

We could/should have spent more time focusing on the main plot lines from this episode like Glenn finding a ring in the Zombie Hand Store

Thanks Jason Todd for the video above, I really enjoyed it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,688 ✭✭✭storker

That was an absolutely brutal
    death for Merle
    , another illustration of just how much of a sick and vicious **** the Governor is.

When he lowered his aim I was expecting him to
    shoot Merle in the legs and leave him as dinner for the walkers
    , which would be even more sadistic and cruel. Then again, the guv thinks something of the original person is still there in each walker, so from his point of view what he did might indeed be the more sadistic option.

• Advertisement

I don't think it was meant to be funny but Glen's whole "Here's an engagement ring i got off a walker" thing cracked me up.

I missed that...mustn't have been listening properly. Watching that tender scene though, the thought "one of them isn't going to make it...possibly both" jumped straight into my head.

Cyridius wrote: »
    Not to mention you can't plow through walkers on a Bicycle.

I reckon a lot of Dublin city centre cyclists would give it a go... :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Just watched this last night, sad to see
    Merle go, he was always one of the better characters. I thought his death would have had an even greater impact if The Governor never fires his shot, and just says something along the lines of 'I have an idea what to do with you.
    . Personally I would have liked to see him used to (comic spoiler)
    fill the Tyrese role, and have Darryl unable to find him and return to the prison, only for The Governor to show up at the gates and decapitate him as his first shot in the war.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭Syferus

It felt a little abrupt. It made sense but I think his arc would have had more impact if they'd stretched it into season 4 and after the Governator business was over, more time for the realisation that he's not a complete ass hat to set in.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

when is Darryl getting time to dye his hair? never mind the dye and water

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭cjmcork

John Mason wrote: »

wash your mouth out! :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I liked the show right the way up to the governor storyline. It was a sort of realistic enough end of world scenario. But the whole governor thing is a bit ridiculous. Really hope he's finished with and the story goes a different way in the next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,605 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Shame Merle had to die but kinda glad Daryl was the one to off him in the end

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

cjmcork wrote: »
    wash your mouth out! :P

seriously, it was blonde last week and this week it was jet black:eek:

i wonder if he has some more modelling jobs lined up for the break:D

John Mason wrote: »

Dyed?? The dye I can accept, but how styled was it!! Plenty of product.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭johnnykilo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭johnnykilo

Only getting around to the last 2 episodes now. Shame to see
    Merle gone, he was such a great character and actor.

Advertisement