Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

offsetting pension savings against debt.

Options
  • 25-03-2013 10:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭

Hi I got a personal loan from boi some years ago and since the slow down I've had difficulty paying it, don't get me wrong I have been paying it and currently I have a balance if €600 left to pay on it so not the end of the world. My question is about the same time as I got the loan from them they pushed me into getting a pension plan not a bad thing I suppose but very soon after taking it out it became clear that I would not be able to continue paying it so I stopped, I currently have around €600 in it. Now I haven't been over excited about boi's strategy for getting its money back I'm not someone who tries to wriggle out of paying my debts but for one reason or another I don't want to continue to do business with them besides I'm not in a position to pay a pension policy any more is there any way I can offset one against the other?
    I have already suggested this to the banks collection agent and it was accepted but then the bank changed debt collectors and they wouldn't accept, will I just tell them they can get there money off the pension policy and refuse to pay the balance?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

This is most likely impossible.

You'd need to be 50+ in an employer pension arrangement or 60+ in a private one.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

kev1.3s wrote: »
    Hi I got a personal loan from boi some years ago and since the slow down I've had difficulty paying it, don't get me wrong I have been paying it and currently I have a balance if €600 left to pay on it so not the end of the world. My question is about the same time as I got the loan from them they pushed me into getting a pension plan not a bad thing I suppose but very soon after taking it out it became clear that I would not be able to continue paying it so I stopped, I currently have around €600 in it. Now I haven't been over excited about boi's strategy for getting its money back I'm not someone who tries to wriggle out of paying my debts but for one reason or another I don't want to continue to do business with them besides I'm not in a position to pay a pension policy any more is there any way I can offset one against the other?
    I have already suggested this to the banks collection agent and it was accepted but then the bank changed debt collectors and they wouldn't accept, will I just tell them they can get there money off the pension policy and refuse to pay the balance?

I assume you know what a pension is for and its purpose which is the reason you took it out in the first place. If you do you already know the answer.

Advertisement