Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Helping a rescue dg to settle in

• 25-03-2013 10:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭

Hi we are rehoming a lovely one year old dog from an animal shelter and collecting the dog this week. Just wondering does anyone have any tips on how to help her settle in. It will be our first time having a dog so we are looking forward to it but want her to settle in as quick as possible. We also have a cat.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,323 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Routine, routine, routine... Make sure you do as much as possible on rotiune; this will help your rescue to settle in that much quicker (i.e. what time is the walk, when's food served, where does the rescue spend their time during the day/night etc.). Also ensure an agreed policy on what your going to allow and not allow so that there's a consistent message from all family members (and if you have children make sure they are trained in how to interact with the dog properly!).

Ensure you have a good selection of chewy stuff (kongs, suitably sized stag horns etc.) and other toys for him to play with. Also don't fall for any BS about dominance you may read online; you train the rescue with praise, if they make a mistake indoor you ignore it and clean up and cheer them on when they do it outside instead; they'll pick it up what's good to do. Also if you've not read up on crate training there are several threads in this section on it that can provide you plenty of information (and leave you and the dog some peace of mind in the future).

If you expect to need to drive the dog around to the vet etc. locate a vet now and start training the dog on being in the car with out the engine on etc. That way when you do need to go the dog will not panic for being in a car for the first time. Also look around for oppertunities for training classes (it will help the dog to see other dogs and socialize but also for intellectual stimulation for the dog and bonding for the two of ya).

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭dmm82

Thanks, I am definitely going to look into training classes. I was thinking of the crate training, I was just unsure whether the dog would be too old at one year to do it, is it something that should only be done with young puppies? The dog is coming from monaghan so has a bit of a drive to get to our house so hopefully she will be okay in the car!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,323 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

It's easier to train a pup then an teenager but it's still doable and worth doing for the bonding and intellectual stimulation for the dog.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 228 ✭✭Mary-Ellen

I got my rescue when he was one, he didn't even answer to his name.
    He can now sit, lie, shake paws, bark, stay.
    Training is great for bonding.
    A year is young :D

I didn't crate train so I can't help with that.

I think the best thing is to give her space and only give her attention when she comes to you. The new environment and journey home will be a big enough change that she'll probably want some time on her own to process it all.

Good luck with your new friend :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

I have two rescue dogs - one was about 6 months when we got him and hadn't suffered any abuse or neglect -owners wanted to pts as he has a liver shunt and vet refused - so apart from typical puppy antics no issues there.

Our other rescue was very badly abused and we are guessing she is about 3 and had been used for puppy farming. She did go through a delayed 'puppy' phase where books got chewed etc but soon got over that (we were warned this often happens and should have moved the books out of her way - our fault for not listening) and was very aggressive towards other dogs when out walking (but never towards our other dogs) - we suspect she was encouraged to do this by her previous owners.

Basically, we just told her 'no' firmly and praise her 'good' behaviour to the hilt and she is now just the best dog ever. The only time she is wary of other dogs now is if my young grandkids are with us as she wants to protect them. A word of reassurance from us and she is content to just keep a careful eye on these 'strange' dogs.

I do believe that many rescue dogs carry issues with them and this needs to be recognised and some allowances made. 3 year old Gillie is terrified of lashing rain but as she was dumped in a woods to fend for herself that is understandable and when the weather is like this all she wants it to hide under a blanket and be reassured. Not a problem.

She is also very wary of heavy set, older men with grey hair - my Dad fits this description. When we first got her last Oct she growled and barked at him all the time, now- although she watches him like a hawk - she will go and have a rub off him and accepts his presence as long as he doesn't make any sudden moves. As he is 80 that isn't really an issue.

A friend has a 2 year old rescue dog for 2 months now who normally hides if friend has to go out leaving dog with her husband - the kindest, gentlest man one could hope to meet - with patience and love dog is learning that her husband is not going to hurt her - ever - even when she is growling at him from under the table.
    Friend reports that last week when she had to go out Trudy the JRT actually hopped onto her husbands lap to voice her protest at being 'abandoned' rather than hide and growl at him.

I agree with the other posters who said that routine, consistency from all members of the household and praise are the key things to do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭mirekb

You will be able to crate train him easily as he'll just think 'Oh, that's how it's done here'. Just get the crate before you bring him home.

Lots of love, lots of boundaries, lots of routine, and you'll be fine. The joy you get from looking at a dog who otherwise wouldn't have had a home and could have ended up who knows where is worth any little problems you may have.

Congratulations!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

It might be worth getting an Adaptil diffuser in the short term. Its a plug in pheremone for calming stressed dogs. We use the feline version, Feliway for our moggies and its great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 616 ✭✭✭LucyBliss

Our rescue dog was about the year old mark when we got her and we crate trained her. Because I wanted her to be comfortable in the crate, I got one of the big Dunnes well stuffed dog beds for the crate and two blankets and she took to it very quickly. So quickly that one day when I had to put two of the dog beds that are around the house in there because I was washing the floor, she hopped in on top of them too, though it was a bit of a climb. It was a bit like the Princess and the Pea story as she's a small dog! But hey, she was very happy with the extra 'mattresses'.

Routine is important. Dogs thrive on it and before you know it, she'll know what you're doing next almost before you even think of it!

My big advice would be to go with the flow at first. Find a routine that works that for you and the dog. And sometimes it can be worthwhile to have some quiet time with the dog at first, where you just sit there on the floor and it doesn't matter if the dog doesn't come near you too much because they're getting used to your presence and being down on their level can make all the difference to them bonding with you. Some might say that doing such a thing will make the dog think less of you or not respect you, but I have to say I did that with my dogs and I think it made all the difference to them getting used to me and therefore being quicker to respond to me while training. Never underestimate the value of just hanging out with a new dog and enjoying their company. It can be very reassuring to them.

Best of luck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

LucyBliss wrote: »
    Our rescue dog was about the year old mark when we got her and we crate trained her. Because I wanted her to be comfortable in the crate, I got one of the big Dunnes well stuffed dog beds for the crate and two blankets and she took to it very quickly. So quickly that one day when I had to put two of the dog beds that are around the house in there because I was washing the floor, she hopped in on top of them too, though it was a bit of a climb. It was a bit like the Princess and the Pea story as she's a small dog! But hey, she was very happy with the extra 'mattresses'.

Routine is important. Dogs thrive on it and before you know it, she'll know what you're doing next almost before you even think of it!

My big advice would be to go with the flow at first. Find a routine that works that for you and the dog. And sometimes it can be worthwhile to have some quiet time with the dog at first, where you just sit there on the floor and it doesn't matter if the dog doesn't come near you too much because they're getting used to your presence and being down on their level can make all the difference to them bonding with you. Some might say that doing such a thing will make the dog think less of you or not respect you, but I have to say I did that with my dogs and I think it made all the difference to them getting used to me and therefore being quicker to respond to me while training. Never underestimate the value of just hanging out with a new dog and enjoying their company. It can be very reassuring to them.

Best of luck!

Just want to say that is excellent advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭puppieperson

hi well done on getting a rescue dog give her lots of love and praise usually they have had a hard time with an ignorant owner. praise treats and love, train her when she has her confidence in you just let her settle and grow to trust you. they return the love 100 fold.

• Advertisement
Advertisement