Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flying to US and entering Canada by land on IEC visa

Options
  • 24-03-2013 12:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭

hi we are looking at booking flights now and shopping around and just wondering what other people are coming up with and who is cheapest??

Best I can do at the moment is 1800€ for 2 adults and infant flying end of June and back 21st December with edreams..... anyone else do any better? I know we are going/coming at bad times but cant be helped!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭againstthetide

Flying From\to?
    How small is the baby?
    Flexible dates?

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭gary27

I tried skyscanner, it was saskatoon you are flying to? with a 19month infant
    from dublin to Saskatoon on the 24th June and returning on the 21st December, the cheapest I got was €1844 so the quote you got is the best i can see you may need to change your dates for cheaper fares but that time of the year is more expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Lmnover

Flying From\to?
    How small is the baby?
    Flexible dates?

hi
    dublin/shannon to saskatoon
    flexible dates - kind off but within a few days coming and going
    baby will be under 2 going and over 2 coming back at Christmas...
    Thanks!!

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭flynnser19

I booked mine with budgetair.ie for 285euro dublin to London to toronto with British airways bargain :)

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Lmnover

flynnser19 wrote: »
    I booked mine with budgetair.ie for 285euro dublin to London to toronto with British airways bargain :)

thats brilliant! when you flying??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭flynnser19

14th June can't wait :)

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭CBCB2

Hi,

I was just looking up flights there and it seems much cheaper to fly to the US. So I was thinking of doing this and driving across to Canada. I was just wondering has anyone else done this or had any experience of this?

This is my first IEC visa so I have never been in Canada on a work permit before. I see some of you have flagpolled to activate your second visa but I didn't see anyone talking about a first visa.

From the sounds of the flagpolling though it sounds like it should be no problem. It's still a port of entry.

Any thoughts would appreciated! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭clairefontaine

CBCB2 wrote: »
    Hi,

I was just looking up flights there and it seems much cheaper to fly to the US. So I was thinking of doing this and driving across to Canada. I was just wondering has anyone else done this or had any experience of this?

This is my first IEC visa so I have never been in Canada on a work permit before. I see some of you have flagpolled to activate your second visa but I didn't see anyone talking about a first visa.

From the sounds of the flagpolling though it sounds like it should be no problem. It's still a port of entry.

Id be really careful about this. If you have a Canada visa and you are getting on a plane to the US, they might not let you on the plane in the first place.

It might depend on your return ticket. If its under three months than you are covered on the tourist visa.

Contact the US embassy.

Yeah I thought the US could be tricky alright.

I'll contact the US embassy to see, thanks for that. :)

Funny because I was going to do the inverse of you. Lol. Found cheaper flights to Canada.

• Advertisement

Yeah the problem is my boyfriend is in Canada so he was going to come back to Ireland for a week then we'd go back together.

It's the flights from Canada to Ireland and return that are really expensive. My flight from Ireland to the US or Canada is much of a muchness really.

Looks like we might be just as well to take the hit and fly direct to Canada!

Thanks for your help though! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 27 mazda2

Hi,

I'm travelling to Sask soon with a 3 year old and a baby. I'm flying Dub to London to Calgary with BA, for one way flight for 720 euro for the three of us. It was only about 1500 for a return flight returning in Dec. I found the flight on skyscanner and booked with budgetair.ie BA have a generous baggage allowance and allow extras for travelling with an under two. The travel time is only 14 hours, i know there is a 6 hour drive then from Calgary to Sask, but i would rather have the kids in a car than on a plane - easier to occupy! Also, I'm travelling by myself with them so want to get there as fast as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,298 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

flying to the US requires an ESTA too, I believe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 386 ✭✭anbrutog

CBCB2 wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm going to be doing the same ( flying into San Francisco , staying there for a few weeks with some friends and flying up to Vancouver )

I've been advised to book a dummy return flight back to Ireland.
    I could be okay without it, but its quite possible immigration will take a dim view of arriving in the States with no exit flight from North America, despite the fact that I'm legitimately going to Canada and have a visa for there.

Hi,

I was just thinking that, but it would probably end up costing me as much as if I just flew to Canada in the first place.

I know what you mean it's complicated to explain so a dummy flight would hopefully get you through without any questions.

Well best of luck with it! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭bhob

anbrutog wrote: »
    I'm going to be doing the same ( flying into San Francisco , staying there for a few weeks with some friends and flying up to Vancouver )

I've been advised to book a dummy return flight back to Ireland.
    I could be okay without it, but its quite possible immigration will take a dim view of arriving in the States with no exit flight from North America, despite the fact that I'm legitimately going to Canada and have a visa for there.

Why would US immigration care where you're going to once you leave their country? I presume just as long as you have proof that you are leaving they can hardly say that's not enough.

I'm also flying into San Fran and staying for a month before heading up to Vancouver and i only have a one way ticket plus my ticket up to Vancouver. I can't see their being a problem because i have proof i'm leaving the US which is usually all they require

Also by dummy flight i presume you mean a return flight of which the return part you don't use. I'm sure the Americans would love you for that :D they will have it on their records that you never left the country and you'd be goosed next time you tried to gain entry

Also in relation to the original post the same would apply. US immigration would want to see proof of your actual leaving of the US. Buying a one way ticket and telling them you plan to drive up to Canada to live there i don't think would suffice, you'd need to have a flight booked as proof of leaving the country, that's just my opinion. I've read stories of people being refused entry to the US because of having one way tickets without proper proof of leaving the country

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

Id be really careful about this. If you have a Canada visa and you are getting on a plane to the US, they might not let you on the plane in the first place.

Of course they will. Irish citizens are allowed to enter the States to visit for up to 6 months, once they have an ESTA

COYVB wrote: »
    Of course they will. Irish citizens are allowed to enter the States to visit for up to 6 months, once they have an ESTA

So I guess the best thing to do is make sure you have proof you are exiting, like a return ticket. BUt if you dont use the return ticket then that might prove problematic up the road.

ANd it's a 90 day limit, not six months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 386 ✭✭anbrutog

bhob wrote: »
    Why would US immigration care where you're going to once you leave their country? I presume just as long as you have proof that you are leaving they can hardly say that's not enough.

I'm also flying into San Fran and staying for a month before heading up to Vancouver and i only have a one way ticket plus my ticket up to Vancouver. I can't see their being a problem because i have proof i'm leaving the US which is usually all they require

Also by dummy flight i presume you mean a return flight of which the return part you don't use. I'm sure the Americans would love you for that :D they will have it on their records that you never left the country and you'd be goosed next time you tried to gain entry

Also in relation to the original post the same would apply. US immigration would want to see proof of your actual leaving of the US. Buying a one way ticket and telling them you plan to drive up to Canada to live there i don't think would suffice, you'd need to have a flight booked as proof of leaving the country, that's just my opinion. I've read stories of people being refused entry to the US because of having one way tickets without proper proof of leaving the country

In a logical , sane world , they shouldn't. But this is US Immigration we're talking about.

I was told by a mate who travels to the States on business fairly regularly that just to be on the safe always have an exit flight out of the US. He said odds are having a flight onto Vancouver + visa ( like we're doing ) should be fine , but there could be a possibility that an overzealous border agent may view it as suspicious and bring you in for questioning.
    If you have the Canada visa , enough funds and a flight to Canada , you'll be probably be okay but if you would prefer to avoid the possibility of arousing any suspicion ( and getting hauled into an interview room and the pressure that goes with it ) , then get a flight home also.

Re being goosed not using the flight, you won't be.
    You're leaving to go to Canada so it'll be fine, upon leaving your exit will be noted.
    It certainly would be a problem alright if you overstayed your visa ( which is 3 months NOT 6 )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭THEZAPPA

I just came back from the US, Seattle to be precise.

You need an esta to gain entry. Also they do all US customs in dublin airport before you even get to your plane. I was not bothered at all once I landed in America.

They do check that you are returning and ask how long your visit is for. With that in mind they checked that we had return flights home. Did their finger scanning, another security check and we were finally at our gate. If anything did go wrong then we wouldn't have left Ireland.

My best bet is to just buy flights to Canada. Saves a lot of hassle in the long run :)

Yeah I just knew it couldn't be that easy which is why I asked. I think you're right easier in the long run just to avoid US Immigration! :)

Thanks everyone! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Niamh_M

I'm planning to fly to Vancouver to get the work permit, then I hope to travel the west coast of the US as a lot of my boyfriend's friends live there. There will be some flights around the states e.g. portland to san fransisco and from las vegas back to vancouver to live and work. We will have an ESTA. Do you think there could be a problem with that?

So I guess the best thing to do is make sure you have proof you are exiting, like a return ticket. BUt if you dont use the return ticket then that might prove problematic up the road.

ANd it's a 90 day limit, not six months.

you do NOT need a return ticket

i regularly go from canada to ireland, and back to canada via the states, on a work permit, with no flight booked out of north america, and ive never been so much as asked about a return flight.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭TheChief36

What's the deal with return flights you guys? I have a two year visa so I couldn't book that far. I only got a one way and it was about all I could afford, my gf was saying that the authorities do want you to have the return ticket even if the date is BS. Has anyone got experience of this?

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Scruffy19

TheChief36 wrote: »
    What's the deal with return flights you guys? I have a two year visa so I couldn't book that far. I only got a one way and it was about all I could afford, my gf was saying that the authorities do want you to have the return ticket even if the date is BS. Has anyone got experience of this?

Some people have a return flight some don't. I don't think it matters by the sound of it, just as long you have proof of funds you should be ok

given the work permit is for 2 years and you cant book that far in advance, they won't have a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,805 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Mod Note:
    Flight threads merged.

Can I fly into Canada one a one way ticket with a US passport and then drive across the border?

• Advertisement

Can I fly into Canada one a one way ticket with a US passport and then drive across the border?

Of course. Nothing stopping you assuming you're all legit and have everythign you need

Advertisement