Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Adams "Alleged" Apple

• 25-03-2013 10:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Good morning boarders,

To settle a long running debate I look to this board for guidance.

With the Adam's apple does the name reflect the owner of said "apple" or does the name allegedly originate from Adam, of Adam and Eve fame.

I.e, can Fred have a Fred's apple or is it still Adam's apple? eg. Fred: "My Fred's apple is itchy".

I am arguing for the Fred's apple. My colleague is "ADAMant" it's an Adam's apple regardless if your name is not Adam.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭sebastianlieken

Your friend is right. You are wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭MadPatrick

Your friend's right. Always Adam's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Ah yeah, but my granny used say, the forbidden fruit wasn't the apple in the tree, but the pair on the ground

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,104 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

No; Fred has an adams apple

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,033 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I think it's a religious reference, and it's not surprising. After all, there were periods in history when all knowledge care from the Bible (or was supposed to). It's a bit of anatomy that all men have, and (most) women don't have => name it after the "first" man.

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

I thought it was Adam's Bollock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,089 ✭✭✭keelanj69

Is it still called your funny bone if you're not funny?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

women actually do have adams apples but mens are just easier to see.
    i know that wasn't your question op but i don't care much for your question.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

I called your penis. You need to lose these childish names you had for it as a kid and just call it was it is. A penis.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Bonkers1984

Cheers for the answers. I suppose everyone looks at it different. I still reckon the Fred Analogy is correct and its good to see I am not alone with this theory.

It should follow the "Achilles" heel theory in so far as that would be called a Fred's heel and not always after that Greek dude.

Thanks a gain

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭martinedwards

and if your name isn't Richard anre you still a .....

nah never mind.

It's Adam's apple.....

from when it caught in his throat after eating the forbidden fruit.....

even though it wasn't an apple anyway......

ho hum

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

With the Adam's apple does the name reflect the owner of said "apple" or does the name allegedly originate from Adam, of Adam and Eve fame.
    Well it sure as hell didn't come from the Adam of Adam and Steve fame!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭stoneill

Adam's apple was originally riding.
    He rode Eve and god wasn't happy.
    So that lump in your throat is Adam's mickey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 326 ✭✭tony007

What about Joey's apple?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

McGuinness /McDonald apple.

Adams is hidden under the beard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,462 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Who told Adam what to do with Eve?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,104 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

kneemos wrote: »
    Who told Adam what to do with Eve?

God

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

As a committed atheist of two years and 2000 posts, I demand that the Adam's Apple be renamed to something that has no biblical connotations.

I'm suggesting Hitchens Hump.

This guy is named Vincent; he has an Adam's Apple.

Case closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Mollusc

Your friend is right, you sir, are very very wrong.

What made you think that Fred's Apple was ever going to be correct?

You really need to step back and have a good hard look at yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,129 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I called your penis. You need to lose these childish names you had for it as a kid and just call it was it is. A penis.

If your penis is where your Adam's apple is supposed to be, some radical surgery may be required.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

ejmaztec wrote: »

If your penis is where your Adam's apple is supposed to be, some radical surgery may be required.

Maybe he really does have a neck like a jockey's bollocks?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Who cares what it's called, it is invaluable when in Pattya....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭tvnutz

• Registered Users Posts: 7,009 ✭✭✭conorhal

That lump half way down your throat? :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Lenin Skynard

It should follow the "Achilles" heel theory in so far as that would be called a Fred's heel and not always after that Greek dude.

And what if I get Parkinson's disease? Is it suddenly "Lenin Skynard's Disease"? I imagine this would cause problems for medical professionals.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Hint: you've never heard it called anything but Adam's Apple.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 683 ✭✭✭starlings

Adam's navel is the real puzzle.

Advertisement