Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The best Pitch and Putt courses

Options
  • 25-03-2013 11:48am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭

Hi Guys,

I apologies if this is in the wrong forum altogether, the moderator might point me in the right direction if that's the case.

I am a pitch and putt enthusiast and was looking for opinions on the best courses throughout Leinster specifically but further afield too.

I would love to know why you like them and what makes them stand out.

I am not promoting any agenda or affiliated to any course, but I want to plan playing a lot of different courses this summer.

The ones that stand out for me so far are Clonee and Tullamore.

Any advice and input would be really appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,229 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

I've played P&P up at the Spawell quite a bit but I wouldn't really recommend it.
    It's handy for me and I use it for a bit of short game practice, aside from that, I wouldn't really play it.
    I played the P&P in Marley Park once, but seem to remember is was a ridiculous price... €18 if memory serves me... the astro turf greens where worth a few quid just for the experience. Think the ball gathered speed on the up hill putts on them :D

Glen Mill is meant to be very good, haven't played it but I know a few that really like it.

If you're ever down the West, there's a great Par 3 in Balla, Mayo. Not P&P I know but it may interest you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Walter lemon

ajcurry123 wrote: »
    I've played P&P up at the Spawell quite a bit but I wouldn't really recommend it.
    It's handy for me and I use it for a bit of short game practice, aside from that, I wouldn't really play it.
    I played the P&P in Marley Park once, but seem to remember is was a ridiculous price... €18 if memory serves me... the astro turf greens where worth a few quid just for the experience. Think the ball gathered speed on the up hill putts on them :D

Glen Mill is meant to be very good, haven't played it but I know a few that really like it.

If you're ever down the West, there's a great Par 3 in Balla, Mayo. Not P&P I know but it may interest you.

Cool Balla sounds good, thanks for the heads up

• Registered Users Posts: 21,229 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Cool Balla sounds good, thanks for the heads up

Ya, it's definitely worth a visit if down that neck of the woods.
    They don't have a website which is a shame because a few pictures of the course would do it better justice.

I could only find a couple as a taster.
    Here's the 18th tee (elevated) and green.

They have regular weekend members comps so if you're planning a visit, check in with the club house first as they've a healthy membership and it's worth calling ahead to ensure there's nothing on.

522845_415654605123659_84678471_n.jpg

balla-golf-club_018206_full.jpg

ajcurry123 wrote: »

Ya, it's definitely worth a visit if down that neck of the woods.
    They don't have a website which is a shame because a few pictures of the course would do it better justice.

I could only find a couple as a taster.
    Here's the 18th tee (elevated) and green.

They have regular weekend members comps so if you're planning a visit, check in with the club house first as they've a healthy membership and it's worth calling ahead to ensure there's nothing on.

522845_415654605123659_84678471_n.jpg

balla-golf-club_018206_full.jpg

Very swish, cheers for that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭the lawman

Good Counsel in Rathfarnham is where I grew up playing my P&P. A nice walk along scholarstown road swinging a PW and a putter knowing in ten minutes you'll be on the first. Ah the wonderful memories.

Anyway back to the reply. GC is a lovely course and worth a visit. From 13 to 15 isn't great but apart from those three some super holes. Enjoy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

glen cullen near johnny foxes is a lovely course really well kept and reasonable with some cracking views. Good counsel is a nice course too as lawman said although some holes are a bit short but well kept. Spawell has gone to the dogs wouldn't drive my car over that course. Bohernabreena was always a tidy enough course too but haven't played there in years. Would recommend glen cullen to people above these others its not the one opposite johnny foxes but back up the road a bit heading north from the cross roads I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭skinnylizzy

Bohernabreena is a great little course. It's short enough but there are some great little tricky greens. Great for putting practice and the greens are always immaculate!!!! The tee boxes area bit of a pain in the ass but you can get away with teeing off the grass on most holes. Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭scudster

I've played in Castletown co. Meath and thought it was great and very well maintained.
    Heres a link to it and all the other ones in Meath too.
    https://sites.google.com/site/meathppui/clubs/castletown

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

Bring back Pine Valley.

Throw those cats&dogs back out on the street I say!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,823 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

For my money:

Saint Bridgits in Kilcullen, fantastic little course.
    Lucan
    Seapoint in Louth
    Cement in Louth
    McDonagh in the Curragh used to be excellent - not sure if it still is.
    Glenville in Tallaght
    Tullamore
    Larkspur Park in Cashel
    Hillview in Clonmel
    Rocklodge in Cork
    Deerpark in Killarney

Some real treats in there.

• Advertisement

Great stuff folks, this is brilliant.

ON a tip Lucan club I think is 50 years old and they have made some upgrades on the T boxes etc so I might check that.

Irish ropes in Newbridge is good too, opposite Bord Na Mona.

I really appreciate the tips

Great stuff folks, this is brilliant.

ON a tip Lucan club I think is 50 years old and they have made some upgrades on the T boxes etc so I might check that.

Irish ropes in Newbridge is good too, opposite Bord Na Mona.

I really appreciate the tips

Think that one goes by the name of Ryston now but it's a good track alright. That, St Bridgets, McDonagh and Athgarvan are all within spitting distance and all worth a visit. Athgarvan isn't the best but if you're in the area give it a look. Greens are mental too if they have them fast and have put the pins in some evil positions.

DeanAustin wrote: »

Think that one goes by the name of Ryston now but it's a good track alright. That, St Bridgets, McDonagh and Athgarvan are all within spitting distance and all worth a visit. Athgarvan isn't the best but if you're in the area give it a look. Greens are mental too if they have them fast and have put the pins in some evil positions.

Ha brilliant that's what you want from a course too, tricky greens.

Elm hall celbridge is worth a trip they have 2 courses there. One has some long holes and the other course is ppui standard and has some tricky tees and greens

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭loadwire

Just to second the mentions for Cement and Seapoint in Louth. Long time since I've played them but spent many an hour on them when I was younger and both were always in good nick and had very cleverly designed holes for a P+P course.

Ha brilliant that's what you want from a course too, tricky greens.

Elm hall celbridge is worth a trip they have 2 courses there. One has some long holes and the other course is ppui standard and has some tricky tees and greens

Yeah I've played Elm Hall. Great set up that is sadly lacking in most PPUI courses.

As for Seapoint, I'd rank it as one of the best courses in the country. Some unbelievably good holes (16th being the standout) and it's a beast in the wind.

Yeah I've played Elm Hall. Great set up that is sadly lacking in most PPUI courses.

As for Seapoint, I'd rank it as one of the best courses in the country. Some unbelievably good holes (16th being the standout) and it's a beast in the wind.

Sea point is definitely in the list now, nice one

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭ruamar

Just to add to this, some of the ones mentioned at the start are par 3, not pitch and putt.

Of the ones I've played in the last year, I'd rank as follows

1. Roadstone
    2. Bohernabreena
    3. Glenville
    4. Ierne
    5. St Bridget
    6. Lucan
    7. CPM

Hope to play more this year

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭JP85

I'd have to say Seapoint in louth is an amazing course, play more golf nowadays but still love to get out there for a couple of rounds once a year for old times sake

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭soundmangar

loadwire wrote: »
    Just to second the mentions for Cement and Seapoint in Louth. Long time since I've played them but spent many an hour on them when I was younger and both were always in good nick and had very cleverly designed holes for a P+P course.
    Unfortunately Cement has gone downhill in a big way, give it a miss. Seapoint is still absolutely outstanding

Clonee is a beauty but not a public course unfortunately

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,926 ✭✭✭enricoh

julianstown past balbriggan is a great track - good greens n well laid out. bellewstown has a few tricky holes with loadsa furze!

The greatest shame is the lack of websites for these courses.

The greatest shame is the lack of websites for these courses.

The PPUI is a joke in terms of promoting their game. A few clubs, like Shandon and Lakeside for example, seem to do a very good job. A lot of the rest are just existing and are pretty aimless. The PPUI itself, from what I know from a friend who was once on it, is a shambles.

Its a shame really we have some great courses and the most basic of websites would go a long way. The inclusion of photographs can do so much to promote a course. I imagine in most cases its a money issue. I dont know much about the ppui to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Axel Lamp

Rocklodge in Cork

Deerpark in Killarney, celebrating 40 years this year. Website:

http://www.deerparkpitchandputt.com/

Deer park looks fierce tricky, well worth a jolly boys outing :)

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭jjjd

Its a shame really we have some great courses and the most basic of websites would go a long way. The inclusion of photographs can do so much to promote a course. I imagine in most cases its a money issue. I dont know much about the ppui to be honest.

Most pitch and putt courses aren't interested in promoting themselves, therefore they generally don't bother with websites. It's not just a money issue. They are usually run as members' only courses, they are not interested in green fees. In fact most courses wouldn't take in enough money in green fees to employ one person, especially outside the summer months. It's just not practical. As a club, there is no profit motive. Clubs are run for members' benefits, not the general public.

I think that mentality is geared towards golf clubs more so. Most courses are public and rely heavily on passing or regular summer trade. The only one i have played that is not public is clonee, i imagine there are more but not that i know of.

jjjd wrote: »
    Most pitch and putt courses aren't interested in promoting themselves, therefore they generally don't bother with websites. It's not just a money issue. They are usually run as members' only courses, they are not interested in green fees. In fact most courses wouldn't take in enough money in green fees to employ one person, especially outside the summer months. It's just not practical. As a club, there is no profit motive. Clubs are run for members' benefits, not the general public.

To be honest, I think a lot of clubs are struggling badly for members for a number of reasons. One of those reasons, IMO, is the lack of proper self promotion.

A lot of clubs are now relying on lads in their 60s and 70s - people who took the game up in its heyday who are loyal to it. When those people leave the game and those clubs, it will struggle big time.

BTW, Deerpark is a cracking course. That f**king 16th is one of the toughest pitches in Ireland.

• Advertisement

To be honest, I think a lot of clubs are struggling badly for members for a number of reasons. One of those reasons, IMO, is the lack of proper self promotion.

A lot of clubs are now relying on lads in their 60s and 70s - people who took the game up in its heyday who are loyal to it. When those people leave the game and those clubs, it will struggle big time.

BTW, Deerpark is a cracking course. That f**king 16th is one of the toughest pitches in Ireland.

I agree with you on clubs relying on older players I am definitely going to go to deer park

Advertisement