Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The best Pitch and Putt courses

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Axel Lamp

DeanAustin wrote: »

BTW, Deerpark is a cracking course. That f**king 16th is one of the toughest pitches in Ireland.

Tis brutal alright, nothing worse than going down the hill on the left and leaving a chip Phil Mickelson couldn't make

• Registered Users Posts: 3,823 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

Axel Lamp wrote: »
    Tis brutal alright, nothing worse than going down the hill on the left and leaving a chip Phil Mickelson couldn't make

Vaguely remember a young lad going down there in a provincial championship in the 90s and taking either a 7 or 10 and losing by just a couple of shots. Easy happen though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭mr.jingle

DeanAustin wrote: »
    Vaguely remember a young lad going down there in a provincial championship in the 90s and taking either a 7 or 10 and losing by just a couple of shots. Easy happen though.

The All Ireland matchplay there a few yrs ago and i seen someone win the hole with a 5! Deerpark is a fantastic course my first time playing it was in the Irish Open 3yrs ago and it was in spectacular condition.

The newest course i've played that has just aboput taken the game by storm is Claycastle, Youghal, Co.Cork. If anyone gets toi place this course you are in for a real treat and a bloody difficult round! It's an absolute humdinger of a course the All Ireland Matchplay was there last year and it was in super condition and is very well kept all year round.

It's hard for PPUI courses to keep afloat as members are dropping year on year, societies are taking over i feel but playing the championships is the best part of the season. In Catalonia and other parts of Spain the game has really taken off over the past few years and only this week current world champion Fernando Cano is now fully sponsored by Titleist! Could be a massive boost for the game.

Of other courses around the country i've played and recommend:
    Dublin: Erins Isle, Finglas, one of my favourites and always in good nick
    Shandon,Near Dalymount Pk, kept very well but tight, good condition weekly
    Ierne, across from Tolka Pk, super course with great pitches Scratch Cup on this Sunday!
    Portmarnock, one of the best in the country, brilliant links course beside the golf course.
    Lucan, another fantastic course hosts the 2013 All Ireland Matchplay
    Glenville,Talllaght, another good course hosts the Dublin Strokeplay this year
    Although my course Loughlinstown ain't a green fee course pm me and i'll organise a game no problem.

Louth: Seapoint, great test and a links course.
    Down: Cloghogue,Newry, super course with great shots on it
    Meath: Castletown,10km outside Navan, played there Monday and its in super nick, beautiful course.
    Navan, nice course and clubhouse.
    Bellewstown, in the middle of the racecourse been a while since i played it but was good.
    Royal Meath/Clonee, one of my favourites a good course to me! Very well kept.
    Stackallen, another always in good condition good facilities too.
    Kildare: Ryston,Newbridge, nice pitchers course, big greens
    St.Bridgets,Kilcullen, another super course always has championships which can't be a bad sign!
    McDonagh,Curragh, A course i always enjoyed but don't know how it's gone since the man who basically looked after it Paddy Slattery died during the Winter.
    Westmeath: Collinstown, Some fantastic hits on it especially 15 around or over the tree!
    Lough Owel, although i haven't played this place the reports coming from it are astounding the talking course for 2013 i'm told!
    Cork: Douglas, tight course but a good one
    Lakewood, good shots if one or two are ridiculous greens!
    St.Annes, beautiful course well maintained and a very good club with top players.
    Rocklodge, hosts this years All Ireland Strokeplay a brilliant course.
    Fermoy, small course with big greens! Good for putting practice!
    Offaly, Tullamore, another super pitching course and host to the Leinster Matchplay this year along with Erry,Clara, a tight enough course up and down hills tough on the legs!
    Tipperary: Larkspur Pk, maintained by a full time green keeper really in great condition especially in the Summer.
    Lakeside, another good course some nice and tough pitches combined.
    Hillview, usually hosts Irish team qualifiers and hosts the National Inter Co this year. Lovely course with a mix of small and long pitchs especially the last 2 holes!
    Tipp Hills, haven't played here but when you hear only good things about a course it can't be bad can it!
    Wexford: St Patricks,Enniscorthy, very tight course but hosted last yrs National Inter Co and always in good condition
    Galway: Mellows,Renmore Barracks, been a few yrs since i've played it but it's a tough one out on Galway Bay when the wind blows it's near impossible!

Others i haven't played but have heard great things of are Doolin Co.Clare, Roscarberry, Co Cork, 2 courses on that and was Fippa's course of the month for March.

Anyone any queries or questions on pitch and putt and i'll gladly take them the game is pretty much my life! ;)

Great info there ,Thanks mr.jingle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Walter lemon

This is gold thanks dude that is some serious listing there, the other half will be delighted :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭sydneybound

mr.jingle I dont play pitch and putt but that is some post with a wealth of information, fair dues fella.

On the back of that I might try a little pitch and putt in the summer

mr.jingle I dont play pitch and putt but that is some post with a wealth of information, fair dues fella.

On the back of that I might try a little pitch and putt in the summer

It will certainly improve your golf game

One thing I always found when trying to mix both P&P and golf is it was way easier to go and play golf and adjust quickly whereas it was hard to play P&P after golf. I just didnt have the time for golf got to a 5 h/c but just found it too hard to mix. P&P took over as it was more economical with work and the Ppui scene is basically very active weekly with comps coming thick and fast now.

As I said lads/lasses Im a member in loughlinstown so if your in the area pm me and ill try organise a round for you

Just out of interest my top 5 to play would be: Claycastle, Portmarnock,Lucan,Deerpark and Cloghogue.

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭jjjd

My top 5 would be: Lakeside, Deerpark, Parteen, Ardnacrusha, Collinstown, Bruff

• Advertisement

jjjd wrote: »
    Have never played in limerick so looking forward to playing Bruff know the lads down there well and heard Parteen aint bad either. Havent played Ardnacrusha. The other 3 picks are right up there

• Registered Users Posts: 7,682 ✭✭✭Trampas

jjjd wrote: »

Hopefully your counting on the course is better :p

mr.jingle wrote: »
    Have never played in limerick so looking forward to playing Bruff know the lads down there well and heard Parteen aint bad either. Havent played Ardnacrusha. The other 3 picks are right up there

Parteen is a great course, hosted the All-Ireland Strokeplay Competition back in the 90s. The 17th is the most difficult, over a tree to an elevated green. Ardnacrusha is less than two miles away. You could easily play both on the same day.

Trampas wrote: »
    Hopefully your counting on the course is better :p

Bogey! It's hard to narrow it down to just 5! I've also played Riverdale, Ferrybank, Ashgrove, Croom, Clare Road, Lough Owel, Ballykilty Manor and even Mosney in the Community Games as a kid. Not sure if all those courses are still around or affiliated. It's been a good few years since I last played.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Airtel31

I use to play in Bishoptown when the lads from Dunlops took over it was a great course some great shots in some of the best courses are in Cork Rocklodge, ESB and St Anne's, since comming to Dublin Ierne and Shandon are up there I love Portmarnock I have say the courses in Cork shade it for me

• Registered Users Posts: 18 DerekpFox

One of best courses I have ever played is also up in Glencullen and has been going for over the last 40 years so well worth a shot (http://www.facebook.com/pages/Glencullen-Pitch-and-Putt/146218292130753?sk=info)

smashing stuff folks, please keep them coming, there will be a fair few Beano's down to places like Cork and Kerry I reckon

DerekpFox wrote: »
    One of best courses I have ever played is also up in Glencullen and has been going for over the last 40 years so well worth a shot (http://www.facebook.com/pages/Glencullen-Pitch-and-Putt/146218292130753?sk=info)

Fox. Glencullen. Biased perhaps? :)

Biased or whatever its all good :)

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Username exists

If you are ever in Salou on holidays this is place is about 30 mins away by taxi but well worth it, we played there last year it was amazing

http://www.pitchandputtlloret.com/

The picture attached is of the 17th and the guy in the club house was telling us that a team of their members were to play in the world championships in the Royal Meath in Clonee last year.

http://www.royalmeathpitchandputt.ie/index.htm

http://www.fippa.net/index.shtml

• Advertisement

Some spot alright, great stuff

Played Lloret de Mar last year in the Catalan Open, I also played in that world cup for Ireland! Xavier Ponsdomenech is the name of the guy your looking for played with him a few times and he does a lot of work on the Papalus complex, he just finished 2nd in this years Catalan Open to an Irishman in Liam O'Donovan from the Bruff club in Limerick which i also played in albeit badly(I blame the drink)!

The Girona(Barcelona/Catalonia)region in Spain is huge for P&P well worth a visit they even have longer and shorter holes for both Fippa competitions and just there own personal long hole comps

Great course, very scenic and some beautiful holes to play. Very well put together with some elevated tee boxes and cross pond shots.

Makes all the difference as well when you are playing in 25 degrees sunshine too :)

Is that guy Xavier Ponsdomenech the chap who got the Titliest sponsorship Mr Jingle?

Great course, very scenic and some beautiful holes to play. Very well put together with some elevated tee boxes and cross pond shots.

Makes all the difference as well when you are playing in 25 degrees sunshine too :)

Is that guy Xavier Ponsdomenech the chap who got the Titliest sponsorship Mr Jingle?
    No his name is Fernando Cano not sure what course he plays from(Gualta off the top of my head)hes the current world Strokeplay champion he won in France in 2009, this years world championship is in the Galicia region in Spain above Portugal id expect and Irish winner to be honest as the course is short enough

wow cool, Cano I must watch out for him. Any idea what the course is in Galicia I would love to see what that is like. What Irish are playing it?

wow cool, Cano I must watch out for him. Any idea what the course is in Galicia I would love to see what that is like. What Irish are playing it?

Santiago de Compostela is the course. There were rumours it may be moved to a course called Tambre.

Of the Irish qualified only John Walsh, liam O'Donovan,Ian farrelly and myself have taken up our spots. There is a qualifying tournament being held in Lakeside,Tipp next Saturday for the other spots.

mr.jingle wrote: »
    Santiago de Compostela is the course. There were rumours it may be moved to a course called Tambre.

Of the Irish qualified only John Walsh, liam O'Donovan,Ian farrelly and myself have taken up our spots. There is a qualifying tournament being held in Lakeside,Tipp next Saturday for the other spots.

Cool thanks I will check that out

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭the lawman

Anyone know of any decent little P&P courses in the Gorey area? Will have some time to kill tomorrow but not back playing golf just yet.

Cheers.

Only one I know of in wexford is St.Patricks in Enniscorthy.

Im sure theres an un registered course either par 3 or pitch and putt around the Gorey area somewhere

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 reggieco

Gorey Golf Club Par 3

Advertisement