Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worst Roads in Waterford

Options
  • 25-03-2013 11:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭

I think we better get all the roads on here cos there are some shocking roads still out there, and with the introduction of the property tax not to mention an increase in road tax which is "suppose" to pay for the upkeep of the roads and its just not being done!

Can i urge all of you if you have a problem with a road ring your council ring them again ring them again and ring them again.

051-849941 Waterford City Council Roads

051-395555 County Council

The Ballycashin road is a total joke, from the outter ring road as far down as the school there are some pretty bad sections on it, with pot holes and flooding when theres heavy rain, this is just not acceptable its a main school road, and when you pass the school that road goes down to one lane as you go up hill as there is debris on the road bringing it down to one lane, debris which can be swept off the road which hasnt been even though the council have been called about that, not to mention that if your unlucky enough to go off that road theres huge drop ditches now due to rain water errosion.

NIGHTMARE ROAD!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Crusty Blaa

The little stretch of road after going over Jack Meades bridge (just before big house on the left) is terrible after a bit of rain. Recently filled potholes start appearing and you don't see them until the last minute due to them being on a bend. A lot of people's hubcaps have fallen victim to them.

On another note, it's not the condition of the road but the Passage East Road still has no line markings on it after it was re-tarmacked a few years back. Bit of a joke for a main road.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭spankmemunkey

I saw a good facebook picture of a road with potholes on it and someone took yellow spray paint to it and highlighted it and wrote ROAD TAX? something ive been contemplating and sticking up on Facebook, Although i would spend a fortune on spray paint!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Cross Lane has become ridiculous!

When you come off the outter ring road onto the ballycashin road the road goes straight and then you come to a bend bending to the right, before you come to the bend theres a series of pot holes and badly repaired potholes on your left leading some drivers to veer slightly to the right towards oncoming traffic on a bend, coming in the opposite direction on that corner theres a huge pothole on your left and it floods very often so you cant even see it if you dont know the road cos theres water sitting at the best of times! so this leads drivers going that way to veer to their right approaching a corner,

This is a serious accident waiting to happen as both lanes approaching a corner try to avoid potholes and flooded areas may well be too close to call and ive had a few close calls myself even though i havent veerd out of lane!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

an increase in road tax which is "suppose" to pay for the upkeep of the roads and its just not being done!

Ah good old misinformation, :)

Its called Motor Tax not Road Tax,

Motor Tax like so many other taxes goes into everything from education, health, roads, building projects etc etc. Motor tax is not intended just for roads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭The_Shotz

Ballygunner to dunmore back road out passed the geal scoil. Three massive pot holes on that, probably more since the rain the past week. I stopped using the road because of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

Cabaal wrote: »

Motor Tax like so many other taxes goes into everything from education, health, roads, building projects etc etc. Motor tax is not intended just for roads.

Well they should just call it for what it is....extra tax.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Finnbar01 wrote: »
    Well they should just call it for what it is....extra tax.

Well you can call it that if you want, or you can call it some sort of transport pollution tax because thats what it basically is these days anyway, :)

But its pretty inaccurate to call it a road tax one way or another, its also pretty inaccurate to say the income from it is earmarked just for roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

Well you can call it that if you want, or you can call it some sort of transport pollution tax because thats what it basically is these days anyway, :)

Off topic but do you know a car in the 1970s would produce more pollution parked up in the driveway becuase of leekage than a car today travelling. :)

But its pretty inaccurate to call it a road tax one way or another, its also pretty inaccurate to say the income from it is earmarked just for roads.

Yep true.

Jesus man can you not just let one slide for once? sorry if my english isnt worded perfectly enough for you but i dont think anybody was unclear what i meant by road tax,

The Tax is suppose to be used to upgrade and maintain the road network thats what its "SUPPOSE" to be for and thats the line im sticking to, not one person on here thinks that road tax or in the queens english motor tax is used in Ireland solely for the maintainance and upgrading of the road network http://www.carz.ie/index.php?subj=readtopic&id=3 but they are suppose to have the roads sorted first with MOTOR TAX and anything else used on other areas fair enough, but dont go taxing me something thats suppose to be for roads so we are allowed to use it if you cant even get roads right,

I love the way you write things you seem to think your the Orical from the matrix or something your a moderator on boards get over yourself!

• Advertisement

not one person on here thinks that road tax or in the queens english motor tax is used in Ireland solely for the maintainance and upgrading of the road network

I think you'll find plenty of people think that motor tax is used for roads and nothing else, its a common misconception by many motorists infact.

This incorrect assumption has led to one favorite but very much incorrect argument commonly used against cyclist by motorists which is "we pay for the roads and you don't" type of argument, you'll see it alot on the cycling forum, motor forum and after hours.,

By the way, not sure what the "queens english" nonsense is about. At the end of the day its not asking for much to use the accurate name for something. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,603 ✭✭✭200motels

The road to Woodstown is a terrible road.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Crusty Blaa

I saw a good facebook picture of a road with potholes on it and someone took yellow spray paint to it and highlighted it and wrote ROAD TAX? something ive been contemplating and sticking up on Facebook, Although i would spend a fortune on spray paint!

That was the road I mentioned above.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭deise_boi

200motels wrote: »
    The road to Woodstown is a terrible road.

Thankfully they've been out in the last week filling in most of them. They really were vicious! Mind you, it gave me a laugh to see someone had placed a sign on the side of the road begging people to "Adopt a Pothole :(" :P

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭honeybadger

hennessys road is unbeliveable bad state of repair ,,,it shocking some where in the city can be let get so bad,,,

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭honeybadger

and as for speed bumps theres a few killer bums around the town with ****ty markings on em

I think you'll find plenty of people think that motor tax is used for roads and nothing else, its a common misconception by many motorists infact.

This incorrect assumption has led to one favorite but very much incorrect argument commonly used against cyclist by motorists which is "we pay for the roads and you don't" type of argument, you'll see it alot on the cycling forum, motor forum and after hours.,

By the way, not sure what the "queens english" nonsense is about. At the end of the day its not asking for much to use the accurate name for something. :)

peh! high horse, get off!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭Tim the Enchanter

deise_boi wrote: »
    Thankfully they've been out in the last week filling in most of them. They really were vicious! Mind you, it gave me a laugh to see someone had placed a sign on the side of the road begging people to "Adopt a Pothole :(" :P

The only thing is the ****e that they fill the pot holes with is useless. They might as well be throwing porridge in them. The ones they filled last week are now just as bad as before after all the rain we had on last thursday/friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭shockwave

and as for speed bumps theres a few killer bums around the town with ****ty markings on em

The ones in Lismore Park are vicious, no markings on them at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭cartell_best

Going down Patrick Street, at the junction with Stephen Street. A fair whack on your suspension.

• Advertisement

Theres also a pot hole that just wont die there when your coming upto Waterford Crystal coming from town direction, just as you pass the slip for the dump like exactly there, theres a hole that was there for ages then they just kept filling it for years and then finally they decided to dig the whole section up and relay a big part of the road, Low and behold whats happening again? the bleeding Pot Hole is starting again in the exact same place! The Terminator of pot holes, ill be back!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Gadgie

That stretch of the Cork Road that Bord Gais dug up and did a godawful repair job on. Boils my blood whenever I have to drive on it.

Are there no minimum standards for road repairs?

Gadgie wrote: »
    That stretch of the Cork Road that Bord Gais dug up and did a godawful repair job on. Boils my blood whenever I have to drive on it.

Are there no minimum standards for road repairs?

Yeah i think the standard is Diggidup Fillerin!

Advertisement