Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

smartphone as cadence / power meter

Options
  • 25-03-2013 11:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭

i need a new phone, i wouldnt mind a bike computer / garmin / whatever with cadence and power capabilities but thats not going to happen as its just to expensive
    from looking online there appear to be apps for cadence and power for both apple and android, does anyone have any experience, do they work, what kind of hardware is needed other than the phone, i know sensors etc are going to required but particular ones or any..
    il be getting the phone anyway just curious about the bike apps more than anything

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

The phone would cost a fraction of the price of the power meter requires to supply the data to the phone.

iPhones support Bluetooth Low Energy - which could be used to display HR/Cadence and power but no one really broadcasts over BLE.

An ANT+ dongle can be gotten for iPhones to read ANT+ data streams. So that could work.

Some Android phones have support built in for ANT+ so they would work too.

In all honesty though, its a bad bad idea.
    Battery life would be terrible.
    They aren't water proof.
    Cadence would be the only affordable sensor.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

If you don't have the power meter already that is the expensive bit that will be required.

Some form of pedal, crank or wheel based system of collecting data and transferring information to the phone. The apps alone will be worthless without the hardware.

Edit: crossing info with Tunney

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭woody1

i had seen that the apps exist so i was curious about the hardware configurations and cost issues and youve filled me in..
    id assumed battery time would be bad, i think there are cases / mounts in terms of water proof-ness but the main issues youve identified there show its not a runner...

Advertisement