Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Business PhD

Options
  • 25-03-2013 12:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi all, I'm considering doing a PhD on a business topic. I have an MBS and an ACA. Can anyone tell me what the career path might be like after the PhD? I know it's very difficult to get a lecturing job in general, what are the prospects like in the area of business?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

SmallBlue wrote: »
    Hi all, I'm considering doing a PhD on a business topic. I have an MBS and an ACA. Can anyone tell me what the career path might be like after the PhD? I know it's very difficult to get a lecturing job in general, what are the prospects like in the area of business?
    That depends on what it is you want to do? Why do you want to do a PhD?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 SmallBlue

Ideally, I'd like to get into lecturing. I wouldn't be hugely interested in ongoing research but happy to do it for the 4 years of the PhD obviously. Worst case scenario, say I got my PhD and I couldn't get a lecturing/research job, would I be unemployable as an accountant?

Would I be right in thinking that the fees for a PhD in business in UL is not eligible for tax relief? Or is it covered by "Doctor of Philosophy". The list below is from http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/it/postgraduate-courses-2012-2013.pdf

By Research & Thesis
    Master of Business
    Master of Arts
    Master of Surgery
    Master of Education
    Master of Engineering
    Master of Law
    Doctor of Medicine
    Masters Qualifier
    Master of Architecture
    Master of Science
    Master of Technology
    Structured PhD in Education
    Structured PhD in Health Sciences
    PhD in Clinical Psychology
    Doctor of Philosophy
    Structured PhD in Applied Language Studies
    Structured PhD in Criminal Justice
    Structured PhD in Politics
    Structured PhD in New Media & Film
    Structured PhD in Social Science
    PhD Arts in Practice

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael Collins

Would I be right in thinking that the fees for a PhD in business in UL is not eligible for tax relief? Or is it covered by "Doctor of Philosophy". The list below is from http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/it/postgraduate-courses-2012-2013.pdf

By Research & Thesis
    Master of Business
    Master of Arts
    Master of Surgery
    Master of Education
    Master of Engineering
    Master of Law
    Doctor of Medicine
    Masters Qualifier
    Master of Architecture
    Master of Science
    Master of Technology
    Structured PhD in Education
    Structured PhD in Health Sciences
    PhD in Clinical Psychology
    Doctor of Philosophy
    Structured PhD in Applied Language Studies
    Structured PhD in Criminal Justice
    Structured PhD in Politics
    Structured PhD in New Media & Film
    Structured PhD in Social Science
    PhD Arts in Practice

Certainly looks eligible for tax relief according to that document. That's for the 2012/2013 academic year of course, but I'd say it's a safe bet that PhDs will be covered for the foreseeable future.

Ideally, I'd like to get into lecturing. I wouldn't be hugely interested in ongoing research...
    You don't need a PhD to lecture. If you have no interest in a career in research (doesn't necessarily have to be academic research), then I would strongly advise against pursuing a PhD.

• Advertisement

Would I be right in thinking that the fees for a PhD in business in UL is not eligible for tax relief?
    If the position is funded then you don't have to worry about such things. I would advise against anyone pursuing a non-funded PhD.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭ucdperson

I know it's very difficult to get a lecturing job in general,

Lecturing positions in accounting are easier to get than many disciplines, there isn't a massive supply of people with accounting PhDs in Ireland, as the salaries are not attractive when compared with the private sector or academic positions in America etc.
    what are the prospects like in the area of business?

In Ireland a PhD is not well regarded in the private sector, who don't have much regard for rigour. In other European countries this is different and multinationals may well have a more mature view.
    You don't need a PhD to lecture. If you have no interest in a career in research (doesn't necessarily have to be academic research), then I would strongly advise against pursuing a PhD

Absolutely. If you have something new to contribute to knowledge then follow the PhD route and keep on researching. Do a PhD at the most reputable university that will admit you. If you simply want to disseminate existing knowledge than you can lecture in an IT or in the Institute etc.

Thanks for the info guys. A lot of food for thought. I think I'm going to put the PhD idea on the back burner for 12 months until I can get a better feel for whether I'm cut out for academic research personality and temperament wise.

Advertisement