Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Temps too hot?

Options
  • 25-03-2013 12:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭

Hey all,
    recently I noticed that my CPU temps were running very hot even at idle , getting to a point where I had to stop using the PC as the MB overheating alarm kicked in at 80 deg c.
    I replaced the CPU fan (actually a self-contained liquid cooling system, Corsair H60, as it looked like the pump had failed on the original unit after just 14 months).
    Idle / low load temps are now back down to around 45 deg c but under load (running games, Rift for example) still hover around 65 - 70 deg c.

System is a i5 K2500 cpu o'cd to 4.4 ghz, P8z68-V Asus MB, 8 MB Ram, Antec 300 case, 750w PSU (purchased from Overclockers UK about 14 months ago).

When I purchased it, max temps under load rarely went up to 65 deg, which now is the norm.
    Is there anything else I can do to reduce the cpu temperatures?
    There are two fans, one exhausting to the rear connected to the Corsair pump (incl. radiator) and one on top.
    Thanks for any advice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Reduce the OC?

70C isnt actually too hot, but I'd never be comfortable with that. What setting is the Corsair running at?

One other thing to note, installing a water cooler can have a knock on effect, your old air CPU cooler drew air over the mobo, with that gone parts of the mobo can heat up more so you want to make sure you have good overall case airflow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭morgana

The water cooled system was a replacement of the original one, which was an own-brand Overclockers one identical to the Corsair. So the airflow should not have changed.
    CPU fan is at 2014 RPM
    I was thinking of reducing the overclock as a next step, I am just puzzled why my average temperatures are now an average of 5 - 10 degs higher than when I got the system.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Thermal paste ages for one.

Have you dusted her out thoroughly?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭morgana

Thermal past shouldnt be an issue with the new fan. And not a spec of dust to be found inside :P (more dust-free than my house ;P)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 283 ✭✭RodgersLFC

Make sure there's good quality thermal paste between the CPU and heatsink. That should help alot with high temperatures.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

I've got a similar system to your's only I have a NDH-14. Overclocked to 4.5, my temps are 30 at idle to 59 at load. Are the fans drawing outside cold air over the rad into the case? Then the hot air exiting out the back of the case?

I wouldn't expect to achieve the same performance as a DH14 with such a small and basic all-in-one watercooler as the H60.

So if the chap above is seeing 59C at load then 69C for you is about what I would expect. Maybe a few C higher but nothing to raise eyebrows.

Advertisement