Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Classic NCT rules etc.

• 25-03-2013 1:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hi,

I have a 1963 mkI mini that originally belonged to my father and is in the middle of a restoration. The original car only came with front seatbelts. Now, when my father used to drive it he drove with passengers in the back without seatbelts but was convinced that because he didnt need an NCT and the car was before the seatbelt standard that he didnt need them. Can anyone clarify this? I am slightly more apprehensive of driving with passengers in the back because I am a younger driver and may attract more attention from the Guards. And please no replies of I shouldnt drive with people in the back because its dangerous. The car is highly valuable, delicate and anyone with any scrap of mechanical sympathy knows that the car should be driven any way hard.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

You don't have to NCT or fit seatbelts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

They are not required, but I would fit them for safety and peace of mind.
    I've fitted seatbelts to any classic I've owned, it's fairly straight to fit them to the rear of most cars, although you may be limited to lap type belts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

What Kenny Loggins says. The car is NCT exempt and it is not required to retrofit seatbelts. The relative value of having or not wearing a belt in the back of a '63 mini in the event of an accident is a subject to be debated over a big pot of tea and two packets of Hobnobs. You can fit them but without the correct mounting points (not factory fitted until the MkIII bodyshell) they probably won't do any good and will just be cosmetic.

I'd leave the car as standard and let your passengers decide if they are willing to travel without a belt in a car with drum brakes, no impact protection apart from the main monocoque and no airbags.

'cpt

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭John Larkin

Cars made before June (I think) 1971 do not have to have safety belts installed, but if they are installed then they must be used by passengers.

John Larkin.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 aodhanmag

What Kenny Loggins says. The car is NCT exempt and it is not required to retrofit seatbelts. The relative value of having or not wearing a belt in the back of a '63 mini in the event of an accident is a subject to be debated over a big pot of tea and two packets of Hobnobs. You can fit them but without the correct mounting points (not factory fitted until the MkIII bodyshell) they probably won't do any good and will just be cosmetic.

I'd leave the car as standard and let your passengers decide if they are willing to travel without a belt in a car with drum brakes, no impact protection apart from the main monocoque and no airbags.

'cpt

I actually already retrofit disc brakes

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

Cars made before June (I think) 1971 do not have to have safety belts installed, but if they are installed then they must be used by passengers.

I think there's a word missing there and it's "front".

Rears were mandatory a lot later.

/looks up NCT manual/

Front seat belts are mandatory fit from 1st June 1971.
    Rear seat belts are mandatory fit from 1st January 1992.

No problem carrying passengers in the back unrestrained and children are permitted to roll around in a '70s stylee PROVIDED they are over 3 years old*

*actual boring details can be found in S.I. No. 240/2006 — European Communities (Compulsory use of Safety Belts and Child Restraint Systems in Motor Vehicles) Regulations 2006

Advertisement