Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrading Windows

Options
  • 25-03-2013 1:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 45

Have a few draughty windows in our house, where bad window construction has meant that 3/4's of the window is flush against the frame seal, but then tapers away to leave an ever increasing gap maxing out at 3-4mm in the corner where the wall meets the window sill (see attached pic). Lets in a fair gale!!

Was originally thinking of getting a new seal and glueing it to the old seal in the 1/4 of the frame area where the problem exists.

But since this sounds like a bit of a temporary fix, and as I'm currently in the process of upgrading the insulation/airtightness of the house, I am now considering replacing the Munster Joinery frames for new triple-glazed uPVC ones (to match the look of the old frames).

(1). Has anyone done this?
    (2). Reckon I'd run into the wrath of our local property managers?
    (3). Is it possible to get the windows realigned & upgrade the glass only (really want to avoid the expense of replacing frames)?

Any thoughts??? :)

Window_1.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭tp25

yellatdave wrote: »
    Have a few draughty windows in our house,
    Any thoughts??? :)

yes, one:

get one with micro-ventilation to aviod condensations problems, I wouldn't go for uPVC/PVC, either wooden frame or aluminium.

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭Jimjay

We got a quote for repacing backdoors on two bed terrace. 2500 euro for tripple glazed upvc. Thinking about getting them back to quote for all the windows.

I would take no notice of management company if they said i couldnt get new windows and i
    cant see why there would be a problem if design was the same.

I would never get wood again, all our frames need sanding down and treating. I wouldnt get aluminium either. I know people who have had upvc for years and never had a problem with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Quackhart

Can only but agree. For me it's not just the actual frames it was the installation of them. Munster Joinery were the suppliers of the windows for our part of the estate, the Park, but I sincerely doubt they fitted them. Reckon Durkans subbed that out as well, not bad fitting but just not done to the same standards Munster Joinery are usually known for. Since we moved in (4 bed dupe bought off plan) I have had to seal all of them with those little foam insulating strips to stop the drafts that were coming through. Actually as part our original snag list I remember having to have one set of double balcony doors re-hung as they were listing so badly.

Anyway back on topic and all that. I would say that with modern technology and all that, PVC and UPVC framed windows could most likely be color matched to that shade of yacht varnish we are all supposed to have? If so I would definitely consider approaching the Mgt company about it, those wood frames are just no use near the sea in my opinion.

Maybe one of the more knowledgeables around ehre could advise on the salt affecting the frames and causing them to warp? Know form experience of it in under coastal areas.

Jimjay wrote: »
    We got a quote for repacing backdoors on two bed terrace. 2500 euro for tripple glazed upvc. Thinking about getting them back to quote for all the windows.

I would take no notice of management company if they said i couldnt get new windows and i
    cant see why there would be a problem if design was the same.

I would never get wood again, all our frames need sanding down and treating. I wouldnt get aluminium either. I know people who have had upvc for years and never had a problem with them.

the quality of wood in the present windows in CL is rather poor.

We should have a look at the ones engineered in Germany.

Aluminium is great but expensive.

uPVC/PVC often change the colour after years, there are condensations problems if the window units were cheaply made or are just an entry level and does not have a micro-ventilation built-in.

Whatever new window we decide, it will be better than the current ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 yellatdave

Comforting to know I'm not the only poor unfortunate in the estate!!

Was thinking of a white uPVC woodgrain finish, (as I'm in Charlesland Wood), and match the design of the current window frames. And it was mentioned on another thread that if one goes with a high calcium and zinc content uPVC, it will not discolour like the cheap recycled stuff. All but 1 of my windows are East/North facing, so shouldn't be a problem anyway.

Don't know about warping Quackhart, but I'd imagine that's probably more of an issue for wooden frames rather than uPVC.

Not looking for micro-ventilation tp25, as my house has more draughts than the original architect obviously drew up!! :rolleyes: In the process of making the house more airtight anyway, going to seal up my many wall vents & install a heat recovery ventilation system in its place.

As for double vs. triple glazing, still unsure on this. Looking at the CareyGlass site, their double glazing has a U-value of 1.1, their triple glazing is 0.7. While this is obviously better, don't know if a small 0.4 improvement can justify the premium that would be charged for triple...

Anyway, if you get a window quote for your house Jimjay, can you please PM me the rough price?

Cheers all... better start doing my sums!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Gordy6040

hi all, good thread. I also have problems with drafts , I'm in the park.
    I think, considering the age of the estate, isn't it more likely that the problem is how the frame were fitted, and that getting them refitted would solve the problem. Is that something that can be done?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭Maisy

Gordy6040 wrote: »
    hi all, good thread. I also have problems with drafts , I'm in the park.
    I think, considering the age of the estate, isn't it more likely that the problem is how the frame were fitted, and that getting them refitted would solve the problem. Is that something that can be done?

Interesting point Gordy, I got window locks fitted the type with an allan key doo dah so you can tighten it well, it also has the effect of bracing the frames and pulling them in, made a huge difference - one bedroom window was quite drafty but no draft since lock was fitted - locksmith also pointed out as a fire escape window the arm that pushes the window in and out needed oil, it was quite stiff, made it much easier to pull the window in tight.

I think I'll go around the frames first with a candle or a match to see exactly where the drafts are coming in. Maybe a silicon gun will do a good enough patch job for now.
    While were're on the subject of drafts , does anyone have problems with their hall door or the french doors that go out into the garden?

I think I'll go around the frames first with a candle or a match to see exactly where the drafts are coming in. Maybe a silicon gun will do a good enough patch job for now.
    While were're on the subject of drafts , does anyone have problems with their hall door or the french doors that go out into the garden?

Try not to burn the rubber seals. Maybe try to use screwdriver and remove some of poor plasterboard then use expanding foam with little straw attached to the can (available at brooks Sandyford for e9). then once it's dry try to cut remainder with blade or small knife, some plaster and paint should finish the job.

I have the problem with the hall doors and french doors that go out into the garden.

Has anyone replaced the garden doors with other doors. If so where did you get the doors and what was the price?

tp25 wrote: »
    Try not to burn the rubber seals. Maybe try to use screwdriver and remove some of poor plasterboard then use expanding foam with little straw attached to the can (available at brooks Sandyford for e9). then once it's dry try to cut remainder with blade or small knife, some plaster and paint should finish the job.

I have the problem with the hall doors and french doors that go out into the garden.

Has anyone replaced the garden doors with other doors. If so where did you get the doors and what was the price?

We replaced all our windows, back french doors and front door with upvc ones from archers windows in kilcoole. It has made a lot of difference and they look great, the glass is much thicker than the old ones too and no drafts. They also have proper locks.

• Advertisement

We replaced all our windows, back french doors and front door with upvc ones from archers windows in kilcoole. It has made a lot of difference and they look great, the glass is much thicker than the old ones too and no drafts. They also have proper locks.

would you mind to pm me the costs and how many windows/doors (units) were replaced within this cost?

did you get them to install or did you install yourself?

tp25 wrote: »
    would you mind to pm me the costs and how many windows/doors (units) were replaced within this cost?

did you get them to install or did you install yourself?

Pm sent

hi jimjay.
    Did you notice any reduction in the amount of noise comming into the house?
    I'm in an end of terrace and I get a lot of traffice noise from people walking past the house etc.

hi jimjay.
    Did you notice any reduction in the amount of noise comming into the house?
    I'm in an end of terrace and I get a lot of traffice noise from people walking past the house etc.

Yes a very big reduction. The only sound now comes through the wall vents which i cant do a deal about unfortunately.

Advertisement