Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 Day ban from Rugby Forum

Options
  • 25-03-2013 1:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24,317 ✭✭✭✭

On Saturday night I received a 3 day ban from the rugby forum.

I logged into the forum using a tablet, when you using a tablet on a thread the last post read by an account is the first to appear so I started to read the older posts first. I replied to a post and then went back to the page I was on and replied to another post.

In the meantime, a mod had issued a warning, as I was reading from the oldest to the newest I didn't see the warning, the same mod then used my first post as a warning to me, again I didn't see it as I was reading posts from previous pages or in the act of posting my 2nd reply. The mod took the view I was ignoring the warnings and issued me with a 3 day ban.

I got no PMs to notify me of a warning or saw no warnings in the thread.

I've no great difficulty in serving the ban but I'd like it overturned to avoid the accumalation of warnings/infractions/bans.

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Have you discused this with the mod who banned you? This is the first step in the dispute process, to be done before starting a thread here, as set out above

• Registered Users Posts: 24,317 ✭✭✭✭phog

Beasty wrote: »
    Have you discused this with the mod who banned you? This is the first step in the dispute process, to be done before starting a thread here, as set out above

Yes. .ak was the mod and I had several PMs with him and he advised to take the matter here.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I've had a look at this now

The ban arose from the Leinster Team Talk thread. As I'm sure you are aware there have been issues in the Rugby Forum arising from Munster and Leinster fans having digs at each other. For that treason, as I'm sure you are also aware, the local mods adopt a "zero tolerance" approach to trolling and/or baiting particulaly when it comes to discussion of these 2 provinces. The Leinster Team Talk thread is clearly for discussion of issues relating to Leinster and not Munster (or any other province)

The mod issued a warning "No more provincial digs people."

The very next post you posted, in response to another poster
    Care to link any of the posts that you claim as trolling on Luke signing for Munster.

When you posted that you should have seen the mod warning immediately preceding it, and in the next but one post the mod gave you the benefit of the doubt by issuing another warning, specific to your own post and linking to his prior warning, stating "No, let's not."

The mod posted his warnings in bold, and you have no excuse for missing them. 7 posts (and 8 minutes) later you posted again
    It means some Leinster fans are pissed off that one of their players are leaving and have to try and get some joy from it, so having a dig at the receiving team is next best thing. While ignoring their own team are well able to sign up players from other provinces.

When McCarthy was signed from Connacht Leinster supporters were saying how it's a professional game and players had to make decisions that best suited themselves, funny how some of this argument was lost when Sexton signed for Racing and now Luke coming to Munster.

So you chose to continue the "provincial digs" despite 2 clear mod warnings. You say you did not see the warnings. Well I'm sorry that's not a valid excuse (and if it were to be accepted here we would have endless disputes arguing that mod warnings had not been seen). It's your responsibility to keep up to speed with what's going on in the thread. If you post something and then see the warning, delete or edit your post as appropriate. You should know the approach by the mods to the inter-provincial baiting and your posts could easily have warranted mod action without the warnings. Once those warnings were issued it was entirely reasonable for the mod to issue the 3 day ban, and hence I am upholding it

You may of course ask for an Admin to review this

• Registered Users Posts: 24,317 ✭✭✭✭phog

Beasty wrote: »
    I've had a look at this now

The ban arose from the Leinster Team Talk thread. As I'm sure you are aware there have been issues in the Rugby Forum arising from Munster and Leinster fans having digs at each other. For that treason, as I'm sure you are also aware, the local mods adopt a "zero tolerance" approach to trolling and/or baiting particulaly when it comes to discussion of these 2 provinces. The Leinster Team Talk thread is clearly for discussion of issues relating to Leinster and not Munster (or any other province)

The mod issued a warning "No more provincial digs people."

The very next post you posted, in response to another poster

When you posted that you should have seen the mod warning immediately preceding it, and in the next but one post the mod gave you the benefit of the doubt by issuing another warning, specific to your own post and linking to his prior warning, stating "No, let's not."

The mod posted his warnings in bold, and you have no excuse for missing them. 7 posts (and 8 minutes) later you posted again

So you chose to continue the "provincial digs" despite 2 clear mod warnings. You say you did not see the warnings. Well I'm sorry that's not a valid excuse (and if it were to be accepted here we would have endless disputes arguing that mod warnings had not been seen). It's your responsibility to keep up to speed with what's going on in the thread. If you post something and then see the warning, delete or edit your post as appropriate. You should know the approach by the mods to the inter-provincial baiting and your posts could easily have warranted mod action without the warnings. Once those warnings were issued it was entirely reasonable for the mod to issue the 3 day ban, and hence I am upholding it

You may of course ask for an Admin to review this

I missed the warnings not ignored them, first thing I knew about the ban was that the thread appeared to be locked when I went to move to the next page. Difficult to delete a post when you're not aware it contravenes a mods warning. In a previous occasion I got a PM to alert me of a warning on a post of mine so I wasn't particularly looking for warnings when posting.

If this is done deal then you may lock the thread, thanks for your time.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

phog: I can see your point, and I sympathise with it, so I decided to investigate this a bit further with a view to giving you the benefit of the doubt.

We get a lot of hassle with provincial rivalries, which I'm sure you're aware of as you were previously been warned about "Bringing up interprovincial comparisons" on 21/01/2013.

You had a previous warning overturned by this same moderator based on benefit of the doubt, after you claimed not to have seen it due to a busy thread. I can understand the mod's reticence to give any such benefit here.

So given that identical previous incident, and the fact that the mod posted this warning twice in-thread, once directly addressed to you, I too find it hard to find a doubt that we can give you benefit of.

The short ban stands, and I'd suggest that you find a way to participate in those busy threads that are potentially controversial, while keeping an eye out for mod warnings.

Resolved.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement