Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donegal Fighters

Options
  • 25-03-2013 1:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭

Been here 5 minutes and I've found two already! So to save hijacking the other thread, why not have our own? :D We know how hard it is for us to travel the country (€32 return ticket) in order to get some irl game time so hopefully we can unearth a few more and potentially organise our own casuals!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Goody2shoes15

I think it'd be great to see if there's an interest in the county, I know there'd be no real issue finding venues, donegal places are usually good for letting you use an area for free. During term time I don't get home too often because of college but Its coming up to the summer now and I will potentially be home every week tuesday to friday. I think a good place to look for interest would be LYIT, pretty sure they have a society that covers gaming, and possibly Sligo IT and Derry Tech/Magee too. A monthly casuals meet-up might be very possible!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭Yreval

Here's UU Magee's gaming society:

https://www.facebook.com/MAGEECORE

I've been to a few of their Encore events, they're quite good.

Yreval wrote: »
    Here's UU Magee's gaming society:

https://www.facebook.com/MAGEECORE

I've been to a few of their Encore events, they're quite good.

Any idea of numbers/games/regularity of events from what you've seen?

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭OdgeXD

I've been in the LYIT Gaming society and can safely say there's zero interest there. I ended up just going to use the internet. There are loads of places in LK we could try although I'm not sure if the IT would let us in, not being students and all.

Gaining some north-west interest would be cool, there have to be some more people around that are interested.

I can defo sort out a place for casuals in either LK or Ballybofey/Stranorlar, got contacts in the LOFT in LK and I live in stranorlar so I know EVERYONE there. Lol.

• Advertisement

Reckon the Loft would be perfect, only ever been in there once but there should be enough space to set up and all. It's pretty central too I suppose. Really hope this takes off aha, would be cool to have a local scene 8D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,005 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Ballybofey is grim. Anywhere but there.

Letterkenny is a cool spot though.

Also, to sell this to people.

VODKA + FOOTBALL SPECIAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ballybofey is grim. Anywhere but there.

Letterkenny is a cool spot though.

Also, to sell this to people.

VODKA + FOOTBALL SPECIAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nectar of the Heavens!

OdgeXD wrote: »
    Reckon the Loft would be perfect, only ever been in there once but there should be enough space to set up and all. It's pretty central too I suppose. Really hope this takes off aha, would be cool to have a local scene 8D

Yeah, its a good spot to get new people interested as well because so many mill about there and always take an interest in whats going on. On top of this they have a nice TV and their own xbox that we can more than likely use, so as long as you have the discs and any updates on a USB you're flying! I'll have a chat with the guys I know and see if i can get a solid singular person to contact for it. The only thing i can possibly see them objecting to is MK, given its a public open area for young people, and that game is probably not great encouragement for 12-14 year olds. :P

The only disc I have is AE for Xbox and have no idea how to transfer the patches to a pendrive or vice versa :D

• Advertisement

Bear in mind, this is based on my most recent trip to Derry last July.
    Any idea of numbers

There seems to be a small but reasonably dedicated following for fighting games. A SF4AE tourney attracted about a dozen entrants or so.
    games

Aside from that tournament, Garou: MOTW* and KOF XIII were played as well.
    regularity of events

Like Dragonslayers, they have regular weekly meetings (Thursday, I think). Although unlike Dragonslayers, these only take place during term time. Once every few months, they organise Encore. The format varies - it can be all day Saturday, all Saturday night or all day Saturday and Sunday. This particular Encore was the latter, if I recall correctly, but I was only there for the Saturday.

* There are quite a few in Derry who absolutely love MOTW. The past couple of Q-Cons, they spent seemingly most of the weekend at the MAME setup playing MOTW.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Junsuina Chikara

Glad to see there are other Donegal folk into FGs. I already have some ideas for organising for tournament venues but yeah, Loft seems handy for casuals. I think it's probably worth checking out Derry. I heard the gaming society there have semi-regular FG meetups so could be worth considering.

@Yreval: I know Rich Kyle is one of the dudes in charge of Dragonslayers but as I'm not a student of Queens, how would I go about attending the casuals there?

@Yreval: I know Rich Kyle is one of the dudes in charge of Dragonslayers but as I'm not a student of Queens, how would I go about attending the casuals there?

This page has everything you need to know:

http://dragonslayers.org.uk/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=74&Itemid=61

Also, don't forget about our Slayers24 events (midday on Saturday to midday on Sunday, once every couple of months or so. There should be one next month, I think) and, of course, Q-Con.

Also, Richard hasn't been on the DS committee for a few years now, although he's definitely one of, if not the founding father of the current Belfast FG scene.

Just thought I'd let people know, I am a student in LYIT. Gaming society is dead :(. They only play Team Fortress, Counter-Strike etc.. I haven't found anyone into FGs there so not sure if LYIT is the best place to play FGs.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,005 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

So it's not dead, they just play games that you don't.

Just thought I'd let people know, I am a student in LYIT. Gaming society is dead :(. They only play Team Fortress, Counter-Strike etc.. I haven't found anyone into FGs there so not sure if LYIT is the best place to play FGs.

So it hasn't changed in the few years I've been out of there haha They still have mongs hogging the Xbox/PS3's playing Fifa?

If you're in or around Letterkenny maybe we could set something up for a bit of Ultra? :P

So it's not dead, they just play games that you don't.

No, it is dead. It only lasted 2 weeks then they stopped and I do play TF2 and CS:S.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Any chance of ye bringing it back to life? :D

Advertisement