Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Issue with Contract

Options
  • 25-03-2013 1:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi folks, just a little advice or opinion. I have been working for a company for 24+ months and never recieved a contract. Recently I was handed a contract that outlines working hours, breaks, holidays, pay ect.

The issue is that the contracts change working practices. The contract significantly change the working practises. Currently we do not take lunch breaks or very little breaks. The contract says we get an hour for lunch. I queried this and was told that its not really feasible to give lunches. My point is that if it is in the contract do we need to take them? Why is the employer putting lunch breaks into the contract but refusing to honor them? What would happen if I dont sign?

THanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

Hi folks, just a little advice or opinion. I have been working for a company for 24+ months and never recieved a contract. Recently I was handed a contract that outlines working hours, breaks, holidays, pay ect.

The issue is that the contracts change working practices. The contract significantly change the working practises. Currently we do not take lunch breaks or very little breaks. The contract says we get an hour for lunch. I queried this and was told that its not really feasible to give lunches. My point is that if it is in the contract do we need to take them? Why is the employer putting lunch breaks into the contract but refusing to honor them? What would happen if I dont sign?

THanks in advance.

I wouldn't sign it until they clarified the situation, I know lots of people skip lunch but at their own behest. They can't say lunch breaks aren't feasible, but expect you to sign a contract saying you get an hour lunch break. Sounds dodgy to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Uncle Ben

THanks in advance.

Sign the contract and then take the lunchbreaks!! Let the employer explain later to a tribunal or judge that he was only paying lipservice to employment legislation.

Advertisement