Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sine rule alternative proof?

• 25-03-2013 1:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭

Can I prove the sine rule like this, it seems so much easier than the way in the book:

Given standard triangle with lengths a,b,c and angles across from each side A,B,C.

Use triangle area formula for each angle:
    0.5absinc = .5acsinb = .5bcsina ... because all areas are obvioulsy equal.

multiply by two and divide by abc product to get:

sinc/c = sinb/b = sina/a

too easy surely?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭magicianz

Whats your logical reasoning behind what you're doing, other than "it works" ?

Plucking numbers out of the air will mean you won't get the marks in Leaving Cert.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Leaving Cert Student

magicianz wrote: »
    Whats your logical reasoning behind what you're doing, other than "it works" ?

Plucking numbers out of the air will mean you won't get the marks in Leaving Cert.

Haha wait are kidding? I hardly plucked them from mid air. There is clear logical progression, I am simply wondering is it a recognized proof? Thanks though that made my day hahaha.

In case you werent joking, I used the triangle area formula for each angle, equated them because the area isn't changing. Then I simply tidied up to get it how I wanted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭Prodigious

Looks good to me, but then again I wasn't even aware we had to prove the sine rule :P

Methememb wrote: »
    Looks good to me, but then again I wasn't even aware we had to prove the sine rule :P

To be fair there isn't a proper list of the proofs we need to know anywhere and people seem to have different answers... :-\

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 MathsTeacherD

It's a decent proof (as in, it's perfectly general and not a special case or anything) but where it falls short is that it relies on the formula for the area of a triangle, and you haven't proven that that is true. So, you haven't plucked the number 0.5 out of the air, etc, but you've plucked the formula...

Trigonometry proofs are usually done without relying on any but the most basic of assumptions, and everything is proven before your very eyes. For the LC-HL syllabus, you need to be able to derive trig formulae 1-7, 9 from the 24 on the syllabus. You can use formulae 1-3 to help you prove 4, etc. The sine rule is number 2, so you've basically got to be able to do it from scratch!

It's a decent proof (as in, it's perfectly general and not a special case or anything) but where it falls short is that it relies on the formula for the area of a triangle, and you haven't proven that that is true. So, you haven't plucked the number 0.5 out of the air, etc, but you've plucked the formula...

Trigonometry proofs are usually done without relying on any but the most basic of assumptions, and everything is proven before your very eyes. For the LC-HL syllabus, you need to be able to derive trig formulae 1-7, 9 from the 24 on the syllabus. You can use formulae 1-3 to help you prove 4, etc. The sine rule is number 2, so you've basically got to be able to do it from scratch!

Ok so just to confirm? This proof would be unacceptable?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 MathsTeacherD

Well, I wouldn't use it...

Well, I wouldn't use it...

Ok cheers... frustrating that there isnt a clear list of them somewhere, and this proof I found on a leaving cert tutorials channel on youtube!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 283 ✭✭user.name

Does anyone know of a list of proofs that we need to know? They are trying to get away from the whole learning and reproducing proofs in project maths but they still ask them ugh :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭MathsManiac

You could make the proof complete by first of all proving that area formula, which only takes a few lines.

You could make the proof complete by first of all proving that area formula, which only takes a few lines.

True, where could I find that proof? is it in our textbooks?

kJGklf7.gif

[latex]\sin{A}=\frac{h}{a} \sin{B} =\frac{h}{b}[/latex]
    [latex]a \sin{A} = b \sin {B}[/latex]
    [latex]\frac{a}{\sin{A}}=\frac{b}{\sin{B}}[/latex]

Lovely, I assume this proves it for all triangles too... Now why couldn't they have put that in the textbook, so simpe.

Thank you very much sir!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 338 ✭✭ray giraffe

3 line proof of Sine Rule (right this time!)

t8RqUnI.png

[latex]\displaystyle \sin {A}=\frac{h}{b}, \sin{B} =\frac{h}{a}[/latex]

[latex]\displaystyle b \sin{A} = h = a \sin {B}[/latex]

[latex]\displaystyle \frac{a}{\sin{A}} = \frac{b}{\sin{B}}[/latex]

Sorry just realised I messed it up - new version coming!

Yep, a and b mixed up... its grand though I get it now, taking it down in maths copy...

Cheers!

Advertisement