Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Turkey stir fry ideas/recipes.

Options
  • 25-03-2013 1:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'm looking for some ideas for a turkey stir fry for dinner tonight.

So far I've come up with the following, is there anything I could/should add to it? I'd like something that is healthy, not too expensive and won't take ages to prepare/cook.

Turkey (obv)
    red onion
    baby corn
    pepper (red? green? yellow?)
    scallions
    mushrooms
    garlic
    broccoli
    carrots

I have a heap of dried herbs/spices, so would rather use some of these instead of buying more.

The spices/herbs I have are:

Crushed chillies, cayenne chili powder, hot chili powder, mild chili powder, ground cumin, cumin seed, fennel seeds, ground nutmeg, coriander seeds, garam masala, hot curry powder, mild curry powder, celery salt, paprika, smoked paprika, ground turmeric, ground ginger, Cajun, piri piri, Chinese five spice, dried mixed herbs, dried dill, dried basil, dried sage, dried oregano, dried rosemary, mustard powder, bay leaves and garlic granules.

I also have soy sauce, worcestershire sauce, fish sauce, oyster sauce, tomato puree, anchovy puree, coriander puree, lemongrass puree, balsamic vinegar, garlic olive oil, ground nut oil, sesame oil, coconut milk and thai red curry paste.

I’d greatly appreciate any recipes using any of the ingredients above as I really don’t want to buy more I’d like to use what I have already.

Thanks for any help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

How about coating the turkey in soy sauce and honey(about 1-2tbsp of each) and frying it for a few mins then add the vegetables? Could be nice to add some sesame seeds too.

Another combination I like is ginger, spring onions and chilli(flakes or fresh depending on what I have). Finely chop a piece of ginger, maybe 1-2 cm, I just eyeball it usually, and fry it up with a few chopped spring onions and chilli(I like a good kick to it) after a couple of minutes add the turkey and cook until the pink is gone. Add the vegetables and some soy sauce and continue to cook until the turkey is cooked through.

Just noticed that its ground ginger you have, not sure how well it would work. I suppose you could judge by taste, adding a little at a time maybe 1/4 tsp to begin with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭Toast4532

Thanks so much, I'll be getting fresh ginger anyway so can use that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭emaleth

Do you have cornflour? If you do, mix cornflour with cold water into a thick slurry (sounds delicious, no?), then slice your turkey into bite size pieces and mix into the slurry. Leave it for half an hour. This protects the meat when stir frying and keeps it juicy. It's called velveting.

Par-boil noodles, if using them, and drain, then toss with a bit of sunflower or other mild oil when mostly cooked. Then turn your heat up high and stir fry red pepper and onion in sunflower oil until charring a bit on the edges. Add a little bit of your lemongrass paste, some ginger and garlic and then add the turkey, give it a couple of minutes as you keep stirring, then add your noodles. Again, a couple of minutes then in with the tender veggies like baby corn and broccoli (in very small florets). Add one tablespoon oyster sauce, two of soy, a splash of fish sauce and let it bubble as you stir for a minute. Drizzle with sesame oil, top with sliced red chili and off you go.

Advertisement