Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Free iPads for TD's and Senators.. Straw/Camel.

• 25-03-2013 2:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭

I think this is the Straw the snapped the Camels back, for me.
    I was having a conversation with someone about all the taxes that are available to us this year.
    Carbon/Water/Household/New Entertainment Licence.. Etc.. and many more i may have left out.
    Then we did the usual, "Well why don't they take a pay cut, how much do they all add up to?"
    "Take the property directly from the property developers, ask questions later"..
    "It can't be that hard to find money, i think they're making it harder. Stuck in the stone age. If they were a football manager, they'd be sacked by now. Just adding tax to everything, and ignoring their own massive wages, WTF?"

..or similar. Then a guy in the office read out this
    Journal link
    THE OIREACHTAS HAS confirmed that TDs and Senators are to get tablet devices to carry out their parliamentary work.
    A report in today’s Irish Times says that the Oireachtas Commission has decided to put out a tender for the tablets which will eventually allow members to access the text of bills and other Oireachtas resources on their tablet.
    The Oireachtas has confirmed that this will be happening but says that it will be optional for TDs and Senators to avail of the free tablets.
    Leinster House authorities also say they are examining the Bring Your Own Device (BOYD) model which could deliver cost reductions “down the line”.
    A number of TDs and senators already have tablet devices such as iPads and can often be seen working on them in the chambers or in committee hearings.

For me, this is the final straw (As mentioned).
    They could buy cheap tablets, as most don't know how to work the fecking things anyway.
    Assuming they will buy top of the Range iPads, and there are over 200 TD's/Senators, how much does this all add up to?
    Who pays the Wifi/3G connection?

They don't f***ing need them, if they insist they do, then why not get THESE or another cheap one.

I f***ing hate the lot of them.. :mad:

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16 Haveadayoff

Thats a joke man jaysus u think deyd be abit more cop on with there money in the dail in the countrys meant to be on a recession ha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

I was wondering why I had to make my Property tax cheque payable to "Apple", but it makes sense now.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

They aren't free, the government is paying for'em.

Also, why should they go for budget android stuff, that'd have limited support available to them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

How much does the Dail's printing bill come to every year? This is probably cheaper in the long run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

I thought this already happened last year at some point?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

Allyall wrote: »
    Assuming they will buy top of the Range iPads, and there are over 200 TD's/Senators, how much does this all add up to?
    Assuming they will buy top of the Range iPads, and there are over 200 TD's/Senators
    Assuming they will buy top of the Range iPads
    Assuming

No.

And the open nature of the Android App market makes it inherrently less secure than the restricted iPad equivalent which is a major concern if these are to be used for work (as they'll presumably also be used for leisure).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Tablets are cheaper than the copious amounts of printing they would need. It's not a personal device, it's a tool for their work.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

Where's my free ipad?,bloody oppressors!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

They aren't free, the government is paying for'em.

Not sure if serious...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭Henlars67

Ya, thought this already happened. Don't see the issue. It's about time some of them embraced technology.

They're entitled to claim expenses for new computers and the like anyways.

• Advertisement

Also, why should they go for budget android stuff, that'd have limited support available to them?
    :confused:

dulpit wrote: »
    Tablets are cheaper than the copious amounts of printing they would need.

How exactly does having a tablet cut down on printing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

Why not buy them themselves.?

I guess that's my real question. With money we have already given them..

Ah.. Ass Country. Sick of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭ads20101

I disagree (and I'm an iPad owner).

An android device can be customised far easier for a specific purpose using a far cheaper tablet.

This is a case of our elected representatives just being damn greedy.

Lets be honest most of them will only use them for email and angry birds

smash wrote: »
    How exactly does having a tablet cut down on printing?

Because you don't need to print stuff?

Just email what you need and it's as convenient as having it printed without the need for a laptop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

So we are replacing the TD'S with iPads

Seachmall wrote: »

Just email what you need and it's as convenient as having it printed without the need for a laptop.

This is Ireland however,we'll print just as much and include an email as well for the laugh.

No.

And the open nature of the Android App market makes it inherrently less secure than the restricted iPad equivalent which is a major concern if these are to be used for work (as they'll presumably also be used for leisure).

Okay. So don't buy Android Tablet. Buy a Linux Ubuntu Tablet. They don't have to go for the most expensive one. There are plenty of options.

But you can do that on your laptop and you can do it on your phone. I still fail to see how a tablet will make it any easier.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

But you still need a tablet.

All you're doing is substituting one thing for a marginally more convenient thing at considerable cost.

If TDs want the added convenience of a tablet, then they earn more than enough to buy the fúcking thing themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

They could buy cheap tablets, as most don't know how to work the fecking things anyway.
    Just to annoy you further there will most likely be training also provided at the tax payers expense :p

If it genuinely helps them in the performance of their duties then I don't see the problem. Any word on if they're going to be replacements for laptops or will they be getting one of each for free?

Presumably the government has some arrangement with one or more telecommunication companies and they'd be paying enterprise rates rather than bog standard you and I rates. Depending on how their plan works the additional devices may not add up to all that much.

They don't f***ing need them, if they insist they do, then why not get THESE or another cheap one.

So you'd support them buying cheapy devices which would most likely have a lower life cycle and be replaced more often thus causing larger costs in the long term.

On the other hand, this could just be a group of TDs deciding that they need some more flash and told their IT department to sort it out (like most private companies) rather than their IT department making a recommendation for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

No problem with this in principle, but having experience of providing IT support for excessively paid 50 and 60-something political types, half of these iPads will go into a top drawer of a desk without ever being switched on, 40% of them will go home and become the property of one of their children, and at best about 10% of them will see actual regular use.

This should be an optional programme, where they apply if they want an iPad, and when they get it, their printer is taken away and they use a shared one down the hall or something.

I would imagine a very large percentage of our TDs and Senators never even switch on a computer and instead have one of their secretaries print out all of the emails and web pages of interest for that day. Giving them an iPad won't change that behaviour.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Not sure if serious...

meant to say "If the..."
    ads20101 wrote: »
    I disagree (and I'm an iPad owner).

An android device can be customised far easier for a specific purpose using a far cheaper tablet.

This is a case of our elected representatives just being damn greedy.

Lets be honest most of them will only use them for email and angry birds

So what about user preference. If something breaks, they'd need a clear line of support avail to fix it. This isn't the case with cheap android tablets.

No.

You're forgetting however that at the moment they are using the most insecure piece of equipment,laptops.If they can refrain from using their laptops for leisurely usage,they should be expected to do the same for their Tablets.Not to mention that the play store could be blocked on these tablets.

Also android isn't that insecure,the way some people go on about android you'd believe it was the wild west of software.

But at the end of the day,everybody should only be using windows or linux because android and apple are crap.

Just to annoy you further there will most likely be training also provided at the tax payers expense :p
    It does.
    So you'd support them buying cheapy devices which would most likely have a lower life cycle and be replaced more often thus causing larger costs in the long term.
    Okay, the tablet linked may not be the best, but considering most are going to be giving them to their son/daughter, does it really matter?
    Also, there are plenty other devices that are good/stable/secure, and work out a whole lot cheaper than an iPad.

meant to say "If the..."

So what about user preference. If something breaks, they'd need a clear line of support avail to fix it. This isn't the case with cheap android tablets.

It'd be cheaper to replace an Android tablet then repair an iPad. Who's going to pay for the repairs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

It's certainly the straw that broke the camel's back for me. The revolution will start today.

Battalions of heroic young men will storm the Dáil this afternoon; the bayonets of their rifles shimmering in the light as they gather up the overpaid fat cat politicians from their opulent and extravagant offices, before bringing them to Merrion Square to make them account for their treachery and skulduggery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Wile E. Coyote

July 2012 called looking for it's 'story' back....

Okay. So don't buy Android Tablet. Buy a Linux Ubuntu Tablet.

Ubuntu tablets would be less secure than Android because as far as I'm aware they don't implement a sandbox security model as default. And it would also have an unrestricted app market.
    pmcmahon wrote: »
    You're forgetting however that at the moment they are using the most insecure piece of equipment,laptops.If they can refrain from using their laptops for leisurely usage,they should be expected to do the same for their Tablets.
    If they can be trusted not to use them for personal use and not to download unnecessary apps they should be fine, but would you really trust them not to?
    Not to mention that the play store could be blocked on these tablets.
    I wasn't aware of that.
    Also android isn't that insecure,the way some people go on about android you'd believe it was the wild west of software.
    I agree, but stupid users give secure devices a bad name.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

I'd like to see Michael D Higgins use one as a phone.

July 2012 called looking for it's 'story' back....

He read it in todays paper, but i can't find it online.. Link is old, and states that it's optional. Paper today says that they are getting iPads.
    Don't know what rag he read, but i allowed for last years story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭**Vai**

This isnt news. The ministers have had tablet devices since way before they were popular. I helped set the tablets up about 5 or 6 years back. Doubt they used them very much but they've had them for a long time now. Presumably a new model every year or 2.

Ubuntu tablets would be less secure than Android because as far as I'm aware they don't implement a sandbox security model as default. And it would also have an unrestricted app market.

Well then a microsoft Surface... Jeeezz. Missing the point. Why don't they buy the effin things themselves? ;)

All vented out now.. Phew..
    Camels back still broken, Anger... subsiding...

Green fading, size shrinking...

It'd be cheaper to replace an Android tablet then repair an iPad. Who's going to pay for the repairs?

Only because you can't suggest the availability for repairing budget android tablets?

hmmm... I think you made my point for me.

Well then a microsoft Surface... Jeeezz. Missing the point.
    I'm not. Security should be a major concern here and because we can't trust them to use the devices securely we have to ensure the devices themselves are as restrictive as possible.
    Why don't they buy the effin things themselves?
    Because they're for government use.

You wouldn't be expected to buy a new computer for work because your boss told you he wants to upgrade the office machines.

• Advertisement

Only because you can't suggest the availability for repairing budget android tablets?

You can get android devices repaired in most places which also repair ipads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭**Vai**

They dont repair them. If its broken, it gets replaced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 905 ✭✭✭StompToWork

In the grand scheme of things, fitting out TD's with tablets would hardly register on the books. It is an inconsequential amount of money.

Tablets are expensive for an individual, but are cheap for a government. They will still have to go out to tender, and the best deal will win the tender. It's also an opportunity for a vendor or a service provider to make some money and possibly retain jobs that they may have otherwise had to lose.

There are bigger and better things to be moaning at the government about than a bunch of poxy tablet PC's.

hmmm... I think you made my point for me.
    No, i already stated it doesn't have to be android. It could be a Blackberry/Surface/Ubuntu whatever.

Cheap Android for €80, no, i cannot quote a price for repairing it, as i haven't bothered to look it up. Neither can i give you a price for repairing an iPad.

I can tell you places to go to get both repaired if that helps?

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Il Trap

Oh, how I look forward to the day when Fidelma Healy Eames leaves her iPad down with her Facebook open!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭G Power

I think this is the Straw the snapped the Camels back, for me.
    I was having a conversation with someone about all the taxes that are available to us this year.
    Carbon/Water/Household/New Entertainment Licence.. Etc.. and many more i may have left out.
    Then we did the usual, "Well why don't they take a pay cut, how much do they all add up to?"
    "Take the property directly from the property developers, ask questions later"..
    "It can't be that hard to find money, i think they're making it harder. Stuck in the stone age. If they were a football manager, they'd be sacked by now. Just adding tax to everything, and ignoring their own massive wages, WTF?"

..or similar. Then a guy in the office read out this
    Journal link

For me, this is the final straw (As mentioned).

I f***ing hate the lot of them.. :mad:

this is your final straw?? only today are you fed yup with everything that has gone on up until now?? well it's great to see you're awake and angry now i suppose. never too late to fight back

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭sfwcork

BYOD is the new wave but what I dont understand is what the tax payer fits the bill

In the Large BYOD cases I have come accross the user and the employer come to an agreement and the cost of the device is taken from source over a time period and as a result the user owns the device

In this case the employers pays and when the user finished he owns the device

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I get a free assault rifle in my job, up yours OP :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,328 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Well then a microsoft Surface... Jeeezz. Missing the point. Why don't they buy the effin things themselves? ;)

All vented out now.. Phew..
    Camels back still broken, Anger... subsiding...

Green fading, size shrinking...

To be fair, I'd go for the surface. Most of these guys will have laptops too. Replace them both with a surface pro. The surface pro is probably cheaper than the high end Dell latitudes that they use now anyway. Plus it doubles as a tablet . Rather than buy two machines, have one. And windows 8 can be made just as secure as an iPad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,328 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

I get a free assault rifle in my job, up yours OP :p

can you bring it home? Cos that would be scary and cool at the same time.

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

The total cost of this is likely to be a drop in the ocean.

This is the sort of story that is ultimately inconsequential but is easy to whip up hysteria. It's a wet dream for a certain standard of journalist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Dwork

I think most of the "interest" is in the Android Vs Apple discussion. Nerds need to vent. I personally am all for giving all TDs a tablet. Strichnine comes to mind. Or Valium. But I think they get that already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

awec wrote: »
    The total cost of this is likely to be a drop in the ocean.

This is the sort of story that is ultimately inconsequential but is easy to whip up hysteria. It's a wet dream for a certain standard of journalist.
    It's a drop in the ocean, but it's a good example of one of the millions of great ideas some idiot in the Dail has that is a complete waste of money.
    Seamus hit the nail on the head when he said how these will be used. Taxpayers just bought a machine that will be used by TD's kids to play angry birds.
    Just because there's much bigger waste, doesn't mean this isn't important or a story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Cienciano wrote: »
    It's a drop in the ocean, but it's a good example of one of the millions of great ideas some idiot in the Dail has that is a complete waste of money.
    Seamus hit the nail on the head when he said how these will be used. Taxpayers just bought a machine that will be used by TD's kids to play angry birds.
    Just because there's much bigger waste, doesn't mean this isn't important or a story.

From what I heard a while back about this idea, the idea came from the house of oireachtas staff, not a TD. And also, the tablet will be for use within Leinster House, not for bringing home.

OP/etc - are you pissed that the TDs get telephones/computers too?

dulpit wrote: »
    OP/etc - are you pissed that the TDs get telephones/computers too?

Maybe.
    Just every now and then, trying to work out how much i have to pay them, and something like this gets me.

If they have PC's and Phones, then they don't need an iPad that we will pay for them to learn how to use. Especially if it's going to cost us the guts of €200,000 for them. I agree, a drop in the ocean, but when we are all expected to be careful with our money, and we need it, because 3 professions f***ed this Country up, it annoys me that they're the only ones unaffected by it.

My Company don't all get a free iPad, and they already know how to use them. It would make work a lot easier for us all, but we can't afford to buy them (the ipads) for the Company because of all the extra charges introduced, taxes etc..

(Not that we would have got them before either..)

• Advertisement
Advertisement