Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who would be good to get for biggish gig?

Options
  • 25-03-2013 2:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭

I have a budget of up to 5k (depending on who we get) to book a band for a biggish charity gig in North County Dublin in September. The capacity of the venue is 500, and it's standing only.

I am just starting my enquiries, and I have requested prices from the following (and I know some may be out of our budget) but am out of ideas now.....
    Camille O'Sullivan, Jack L, Lisa Hannigan, Jerry Fish, Kila, The Stripes, The Waterboys.

Can anyone give me some more ideas please? Ideally it'll be a well enough known name that would draw a bit of a crowd, but not so big that we can't afford it. I'm not too bothered by the genre of music, just not classical.

Many thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Moved to Gigs & Events.

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭CiaranK

I would get in touch with AMA music agency, lots of the acts you mentioned can be booked from there.

http://www.amamusicagency.ie/artists/a-z-ama-artists/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭neil_18_

You could try Damien Dempsey

• Registered Users Posts: 21,384 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Saw Doctors, Imelda May possibly?

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭green day rule

Royseven.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭monthehoops

Sorry to potentially rain on your parade but does the 5k apply to just the act or have you all the other costs taken into account?

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭princemuzzy

I doubt you'll get the Strypes at that price now but if you can do

If your looking for a crowd puller how bout that Bressie numoty not a fan but the masses sure do like him

• Registered Users Posts: 11,933 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Check the likes of Ticketmaster.ie and co.uk, see what bands are touring just AFTER you're date.

If there's any that interest you contact the management of the band (should be found easily enough), tell them that you're doing a charity gig, you can pay 5k and that it would be an ideal tour rehearsal for the band. You may well end up getting a big band at a bargain price this way.

A few things though that i hope you've thought of, Insurance for a gig like this will be high, make sure you have it covered. Also other things like Security, if it sells out you're gonna need around 20 Security guards, a company will prob charge you around 15 per hour, and they'll need to be there for 4hrs, that's 1,200 on security alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭pinkbear

Many thanks for the great ideas, I'll get onto a few of them now. To answer your questions, up to 5k would be the absolute most we could pay for a band (ideally 3-4), we will cover all other expenses. We have insurance sorted, and we have teams of volunteers we can use as security, possibly 2 extra official security guards but that will be all (and we've done this size gig a few times before without official security, and it has run perfectly).

We have a possibly yes from the Strypes & from Jerry Fish. I know, very different from each other and both very good.... but if you had to choose between them, who would you choose? Bear in mind that it's quite far out from Dublin city and it tends to be locals who would come rather than people who specifically follow a band, so in general older bands would go down better than up-and-coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 digitalfunk

People might be sick of seeing the likes of Mundy, Jerry Fish, Saw Doctors, Aslan, Paddy Casey, Davey Arthur/Fureys. Try Delorentos, Bipolar Empire or We Cut Corners. Maybe even Hudson Taylor or Foals.

Why not try a comedy night? I'm sure PJ Gallagher, Des Bishop, Neil Delamare aren't too dear, well, they shouldn't be!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Joe_Dull

If it's for charity you might not have to shell out at all. I've run a few sold-out charity gigs in the Academy (this is a few years ago, now) and a lot of the big name acts we acts told us that the band would do X number of charity events a year. It's a matter of getting in there first. Maybe not quite the calibre you're looking for, but we managed to get Little Green Cars, Jaded Sun, Miracle Bell and Dead Cat Bounce for free. Mundy also agreed, but had to drop out because of a scheduling issue. Republic of Loose are also a good bet.

Advertisement