Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rear led indicator stopped working

• 25-03-2013 3:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭

I have an LED indicator on my bike. After the rain last week it seems to be all wet on the inside which might have broken it.

So how do I fix them? A normal indicator I would change the bulb and waterproof it better.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

All might not be lost, sometimes when the PCB gets wet even after it dries there is a residue left that hampers the operation. Take it apart and have a look, and see if you can notice anything. Give Leppla of here a PM he works with PCBs etc and is a modern day McGuyver.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

Okay I might brave the cold weather tonight and take it apart. It is still very wet looking so maybe it deserves a second chance! Hammer and duck tape here I come!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 896 ✭✭✭blu3r0ri0n

Take the indicator off. Dry as much of the insides as you can with cloth/tissue, bury it in a bowl of uncooked rice and leave it in the hot press overnight. Check if its still damp, if it is put it back in the hot press for another night. I've used this on phone's mp3 players before and it works.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Mr Sheen!

Get yourself a soft clean paint brush and some solvent cleaner. Brush all the board and comonants. Solvent cleaner will then dry off itself on no time.

Water is one of those bitches that gets in everywhere and causes havoc. Even when dried out it leaves a residue which can effect correct operation of the circuit. The residue is generally a white colour.

Give it a good go spending time getting into every nuk and cranny. Under components etc and you might get it going perfectly.

Best of luck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

blu3r0ri0n wrote: »
    Take the indicator off. Dry as much of the insides as you can with cloth/tissue, bury it in a bowl of uncooked rice and leave it in the hot press overnight. Check if its still damp, if it is put it back in the hot press for another night. I've used this on phone's mp3 players before and it works.

If its really really wet, add some curry sauce and some chicken. If it does not work at least you have dinner!!!! :P:P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

I took it apart yesterday and tried it as good as I could.

The bulb looks like it has blown or something. Its like a dark misty area inside the bulb.

Are these LED bulbs? I was expecting to see something a bit different. They look like normal bulbs.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Mr Sheen!

I took it apart yesterday and tried it as good as I could.

The bulb looks like it has blown or something. Its like a dark misty area inside the bulb.

Are these LED bulbs? I was expecting to see something a bit different. They look like normal bulbs.

Looks like a standard fitment in the picture. Did you try the good bulb on the bad side to see of it operated?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭miller50841

Contacts may be corroded take lamp out & if its green at the tip scrape as much off the lamp holder.

Not a LED fitting as pointed out already

Advertisement