Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

will this receipe set in fridge?

Options
  • 25-03-2013 3:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭

HI all, I was really pushed for time last night and I 'made' this receipe and have left it in the fridge over night..
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_83HpZk2A8

can anyone tell me two things:
    1. How am I sure that the cream/custard will have set?
    2. If it has set is there a sure fire way of getting it out of a sprung closed case without using the blow torch in case it has all stuck to the edge?

thanks... expecting a huge mess everywhere when I 'unspring' the casing:0(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

I remember seeing that on TV and was very impressed with its simplicity. Unfortunately I have no answers to your question. Looks so good though. Let us know how you get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭tfak85

How did it turn out? I imagine if your cream was whipped fairly stiffly it would be ok...

Looks really tasty. Sometimes I do a cream/custard/mascarpone combo when I make Eaton Mess..

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭maryk123

I watched this yesterday and I thought like yourself would it set it looks fab I am definitely going to try this. Let us know how you got on .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭positivenote

tried taking the outer case off last night and it started to drip everywhere, so I put it back in the fridge and its still there... I might put it in the freezer for a half hour or so before serving tonight but im afraid it might ruin it altogether...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Magic Monkey

The filling is kind of a crème légère, traditionally pastry cream lightened with whipped cream. In this case, the packet custard replaces the pastry cream. It'll firm up somewhat after refrigeration, but if it was really runny going into the mold, it'll be runny once you unmold it.

Instead of using a blowtorch, dampen a kitchen towel in hot water and rub around the outside of the mold.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭positivenote

ah well... that was a disaster. As soon as i lifted off the outer ring it ran everywhere. It tasted lovely and light but the shape was a disaster. I think next time whipping the creme alot more will help a bit. But doing as the video shows above it doesn't work but still tastes lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭phormium

Had a quick look at that video but had no sound so not sure what exact ingredients they used. I would imagine it would be double cream though as this gets a lot firmer and stays that way rather than ordinary whipping cream.

As for the custard, a home made one I would have thought would work better, all those cartons of ready made custard have something added to make them stay pourable from the cartons so I don't know how it worked for the person in the video. Bog standard home made Birds custard sets quite well depending on how thick you make it or you could make from scratch.

Advertisement