Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extension Costs Estimate

Options
  • 25-03-2013 3:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭

Hi

Myself and my better half are considering purchasing an old cottage in rural Wexford with the view to extending it and making it our permanent home.

As it stands the cottage is 750sq ft , old but liveable (there are tenants in there at present) but I would envisage some work may need to be down as regards insulation/electrics/plumbing due to its age. I have a viewing booked for this week so will know more after.

I know this is a "how long is a piece of string question" but can anyone give rough estimates for

a) An extension to builders finish (with very good insulation) of approx 750sq ft

b) the cost of renovating/insulating to a good standard the present old cottage (Im guessing at stone walls-but will know after viewing)

I do plan to have expert opinions (architect/ engineer etc) at a later stage but I am just feeling for prices and to see if they are within my budget.

Many Thanks to those taking the time to reply.

EDIT: Mods if this should be in the stickied thread please move.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭JeanLucPicard

Just wondering why I havent had a response here.

I know its difficult to give estimates but Im just looking for something as a general guide just to see if it is a goer.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 46,052 ✭✭✭✭muffler

I know this is a "how long is a piece of string question"
    And thats probably why people are reluctant to give an opinion.

a) An extension to builders finish (with very good insulation) of approx 750sq ft
    Just a guess but Id say you would be looking at anything from €70 - €100 per sq. foot for a reasonably good finish.

b) the cost of renovating/insulating to a good standard the present old cottage (Im guessing at stone walls-but will know after viewing)
    I would have no idea whatsoever. The job needs a physical inspection/survey followed up with plans and spec in order to even get a "rough" idea of costs.

I do plan to have expert opinions (architect/ engineer etc) at a later stage but I am just feeling for prices and to see if they are within my budget.
    And this ultimately will be the route you will have to take or at least recommended to take. You will need a professional to advise you but whatever you do dont let the local builder/handy man in and have a look around and say something like "ah sure i could do a good job on that for you for €xxxx. No need to bother with architects or the likes"

Thanks for that.

As regards insulation on the current house..as its so old at possibly 70 odd years will it be possible to get a decent insulation into it?
    From what I've read here it could be a challenge as well as expensive.

TheTorment wrote: »
    Thanks for that.

As regards insulation on the current house..as its so old at possibly 70 odd years will it be possible to get a decent insulation into it?
    From what I've read here it could be a challenge as well as expensive.
    As per my post above you would really need to engage a good professional particularly someone who is familiar with this type of retrofitting. The devil is in the detail and proper advice and specifying is required.

As more and more people are insulating and draft proofing there are more and more professionals and trades men out there who are up to speed with current requirements and also the problems associated with old buildings so you shouldnt have to look too far.

Bu the way, you do know that you are only allowed one account on Boards?

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭wirehairmax

muffler wrote: »

And this ultimately will be the route you will have to take or at least recommended to take. You will need a professional to advise you but whatever you do dont let the local builder/handy man in and have a look around and say something like "ah sure i could do a good job on that for you for €xxxx. No need to bother with architects or the likes"
    Thats a lazy and disparaging remark and a sleight on good reliable builders and construction professionals who are also contractors and project managers. As a third-level educated, member of the Chartered Institute of Building, qualified BER assessor of new and existing dwellings, currently studying for a BSc in Construction Management, and with over 200m worth of construction experience behind me, and many years estimating experience, I would say that I would be a lot more qualified than some architects (and architectural technicians) to offer a professional opinion on renovation and contruction costs on a small cottage in rural wexford.
    There was a thread here some weeks ago about the lack of respect and bias against contractors shown here. Yes there are chancers out there as there are plenty chancers passing themselves off as architects too (even with RIAI registration). Look at the copy and paste dormers and bungalows throughout the countryside. The majority of these were ''designed'' by Architectural technicians who conveniently left out the ''technician'' from their headed paper and title blocks when practicing for the past number of years until the RIAI got their way and pulled rank.
    Please dont generalize like that. Just like Architects consider themselves to be ranked classes above Architectural technicians, I would also consider myself to be superior to the ''handy-man in the transit van'' when it comes to offering professional opinions and true and accurate construction costs to a person hoping to renovate their family home to a good standard using best practice construction methods including future-proofing and insulation upgrades.

• Advertisement

Thats a lazy and disparaging remark and a sleight on good reliable builders and construction professionals who are also contractors and project managers. As a third-level educated, member of the Chartered Institute of Building, qualified BER assessor of new and existing dwellings, currently studying for a BSc in Construction Management, and with over 200m worth of construction experience behind me, and many years estimating experience, I would say that I would be a lot more qualified than some architects (and architectural technicians) to offer a professional opinion on renovation and contruction costs on a small cottage in rural wexford.
    There was a thread here some weeks ago about the lack of respect and bias against contractors shown here. Yes there are chancers out there as there are plenty chancers passing themselves off as architects too (even with RIAI registration). Look at the copy and paste dormers and bungalows throughout the countryside. The majority of these were ''designed'' by Architectural technicians who conveniently left out the ''technician'' from their headed paper and title blocks when practicing for the past number of years until the RIAI got their way and pulled rank.
    Please dont generalize like that. Just like Architects consider themselves to be ranked classes above Architectural technicians, I would also consider myself to be superior to the ''handy-man in the transit van'' when it comes to offering professional opinions and true and accurate construction costs to a person hoping to renovate their family home to a good standard using best practice construction methods including future-proofing and insulation upgrades.
    Thats great and Im happy to hear you have so much experience. Perhaps you could use some of that experience now and give a response to the OP's question and refrain from dragging this thread off topic.

No more off topic posting

Advertisement