Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Small items broken in rental - return deposit?

Options
  • 25-03-2013 3:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭

I'm due to move out of a rented house in about a month and we've been living there 3years.

Over the years a couple of the existing plates/bowls/cups got broken, as they do. We also have our own delph that we use. The existing hoover broke (it was a small cheap one) but rather than bother the landlord, we just got a new one as we figured we needed our own someday anyway.

My question is that would these types of things come out of our deposit? We've taken good care of the property but there is some wear and tear as can be expected but nothing out of the ordinary, we would leave it fully clean of course.

We can leave a microwave behind (we don't need ours in the new house) and also some items for the open fire (ash & coal bucket etc) or I could leave some of my own cups.

Do you think I'm at risk of having my deposit withheld?

Also, we'd really like to get the deposit back before the end of the month so we can give it to new landlord - are we able to ask for this early?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

If something is on the lease/inventory that you signed when you moved in then it would expected to be there when you move out, and in good order (less acceptable wear and tear). Nothing bar maybe the hoover sounds like it would be major; Id say your best bet would be to have a chat with the landlord and see what they feel. They might not be bothered about any of it, or if they want anything repaired/replaced then you have time to do so before you move out.

If they want to go down the route of withholding deposit money (which sounds entirely unnecessary in this case) then they can only withhold what is required to repair/replace what has been broken, and they must provide invoice/receipt for what has been deducted. They can also only replace like with like, so they cannot replace an old cheap hoover with a top of the line Dyson for example!

As for returning the deposit early, your best bet again would be to talk to the landlord. Im not sure how likely they would be to agree (I wouldnt get my hopes up to be honest) but no harm in asking. Just bear in mind that they will be reluctant to return the security of the deposit while you are still living in the property, and could in theory cause damage after the money has been returned. Whether or not they are prepared to take that chance depends on the relationship you have with them I guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 358 ✭✭Joe Hart

The hoover is not your problem but you should tell the landlord about it. Unless you've gone through the majority of the cutlery I would say that is fair wear and tear. These things break in the dishwasher and whilst washing easy enough.

Depends on the nature of the damage; if the motor is gone then its not the OPs probem, but if its damaged through obvious neglect then I dont see how the OP wouldnt be liable?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 358 ✭✭Joe Hart

djimi wrote: »
    Depends on the nature of the damage; if the motor is gone then its not the OPs probem, but if its damaged through obvious neglect then I dont see how the OP wouldnt be liable?

How do you break a hoover from neglect?

Seriously?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

Joe Hart wrote: »

By carrying it around by the tube part ( i.e. Neglecting to take care proper care of it).

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭QuiteInterestin

Rasmus wrote: »
    By carrying it around by the tube part ( i.e. Neglecting to take care proper care of it).

or using it without a hoover bag in it (like the tenants who lived in my place before me)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Or simply leave it running for 20-30 mins- that should burn out the motor....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,866 ✭✭✭ozmo

djimi wrote: »

Just replace it with similiar if you think he will rub it in - €5 to €10 euros here....

http://www.adverts.ie/for-sale/q_hoover/

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

Joe Hart wrote: »

You've obviously never met someone who doesn't understand that hoovers just don't magically make the dust (or clumps of hair, hair clips and bands, pieces of mouldy food, pieces of paper, coal, etc.) just disappear into thin air and that there are actually bags in the hoover that need to be changed/emptied. Or those who don't realise that banging the head off the wall and furniture will eventually make it break. Or that carrying it around by the pipe/flex will eventually mean that it will beak or the tube puncture. Or that just letting it fall down the stairs may mean it will break. And that's before someone will leave it running for aaaages.....

I'm sure there are other methods of neglecting a hoover, but I haven't met a housemate who has done any other peculiar things to a hoover...

• Advertisement
Advertisement