Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Chinese takeway Dublin 7

Options
  • 25-03-2013 3:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭

Generally order from New Sunrise in Stoneybatter and dont have any complaints.
    I avoid Millenium after one or 2 not so great dishes.

For no reason I want to try another place other than New Sunrise, just to bounce dishes off one another.
    Any recommendations?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

Don't know about the best but id stay clear of riris in parkgate street. Woeful

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Dancor

The Rising Phoenix above Cumiskeys pub on Blackhorse avenue, nicest in the area by a long shot IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭sham69

pearl river in phibsboro used to be the best chinese around (in dublin never mind just dublin 7)

Not sure what its like these days, had it about a year ago and it was nice.
    I order from a place in cabra called do-son (they have a place on dorset street aswell), very nice food.
    The only gripe i have is they can't make salt and chilli dishes for shi*

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭sham69

Dancor wrote: »
    The Rising Phoenix above Cumiskeys pub on Blackhorse avenue, nicest in the area by a long shot IMO.

Maybe its me but I found that place to be very bland on the 2 occasions that I had it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,216 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

New Emperor in Maypark, Donnycarney. They have a sit down part but the takeaway is easily the same standard. Lovely food.

**edit Oops, sorry, just saw the Dublin 7 - not sure if they deliver to there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

sham69 wrote: »
    pearl river in phibsboro used to be the best chinese around (in dublin never mind just dublin 7)

Not sure what its like these days, had it about a year ago and it was nice.

Got Kung Po chicken there about twice in the last month. Was decent grub.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭nudger

New Sunrise and The Rising Phoenix are ok ish, pity you don't like the Millenium as they are probably the best in the area.

Maybe give Rainbow on the new cabra road a go, they are quite good and it's nice to be able to watch the chief's cooking your food.

Shangri la in stoneybatter is also nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

nudger wrote: »
    New Sunrise and The Rising Phoenix are ok ish, pity you don't like the Millenium as they are probably the best in the area.

Maybe give Rainbow on the new cabra road a go, they are quite good and it's nice to be able to watch the chief's cooking your food.

Shangri la in stoneybatter is also nice.

To be honest i dont know many that like Millenium. Their dishes are very watery. I dropped in once to get a black bean and i was given the order within 2 minutes. There's no way its fresh when its ready that fast.
    I've done the same with New Sunrise and the minimum wait is about 5-7 minutes and it tastes much better for the same dish.

Rainbow is one i must try actually, i'd forgot that was there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

+1 for Rainbow
    Chess is not bad as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Rainbow is good and you can see whats going on.

Went to Chess once and cancelled my order when I spelled cigarette smoke from the kitchen. Never been back

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

Canton City and Shangri-La in Stoneybatter are my regulars and I find them to be quite consistent in their standards - Shangri-La probably the better of the two.

Was never too fussed on New Sunrise. Have tried Rainbow once and haven't been back since, again not too fussed.

I know Canton City is directly across from New Sunrise.
    Where is Shangri-La exactly ?
    (Cant picture it in my head)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

Slattsy wrote: »
    I know Canton City is directly across from New Sunrise.
    Where is Shangri-La exactly ?
    (Cant picture it in my head)

Just down the road, next door to the Glimmerman (but don't let that put you off!), black front.

xebec wrote: »
    Just down the road, next door to the Glimmerman (but don't let that put you off!), black front.

Ah yes i know it now. Cheers.

xebec wrote: »

Is the Take away menu same price as the sit down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Mister Jingles

Rainbows have an awful habit though of giving re-heats from the night before during its first hour after opening up.

How do you know.

I usually (or used to) order for collection before half 5 and noticed it many times with foods such as chips or noodles. Other times when I'd order in the late evening everything would be more fresher.

Too be honest I'd say that happens in a lot of places. I never get a chinese before 7.

Chinese tonight lads, its not even noon and im already thinking about it :D
    Bottle of red in tow and a dodgy movie to make a decent night!!

As i said, im normaly a New Sunrise man, but i think i might try Rainbow or Shangr-La after a few suggestions here.

I'll revert back this evening with a full belly :)

• Advertisement

Slattsy wrote: »
    Chinese tonight lads, its not even noon and im already thinking about it :D
    Bottle of red in tow and a dodgy movie to make a decent night!!

As i said, im normaly a New Sunrise man, but i think i might try Rainbow or Shangr-La after a few suggestions here.

I'll revert back this evening with a full belly :)

The satay sauce is well worth trying from rainbows :)

The satay sauce is well worth trying from rainbows :)

Satay is one of the only things i dont like in a chinese !!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭squishykins

Shangri La was my regular for a few months when I lived in Stoneybatter, no issues until I got the worst food poisoning of my life out of it, never even got an apology out of them. Moved out of the area a week later so wasn't bothered taking it further. Must say, it's really difficult to find a good chinese restaurant in Dublin city centre...

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Rosser

Dancor wrote: »

I'd second that, friendly staff too.

Shangri La was my regular for a few months when I lived in Stoneybatter, no issues until I got the worst food poisoning of my life out of it, never even got an apology out of them. Moved out of the area a week later so wasn't bothered taking it further. Must say, it's really difficult to find a good chinese restaurant in Dublin city centre...

Sorry to hear that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭Hannibal

Pearl River in Phibsboro is pretty nice, always been consistent in the 5 years or so I've eaten out of it.
    Kingsland on Dame St facing the Olympia is nice, a lot of Chinese restaurants around it have closed yet that still remains

Kingsland was closed for ages a while back, Charlies own it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭jossnjuice

in order of preference, id go:

Zei Won Ton on the phibsboro road,
    Rainbow (my local)
    and Sunrise.

Zei wins on portion size and a bigger menu than the rest!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I usually use Millennium, who pack their chicken curry with meat, and tried Rainbow for my usual ~ Chicken Curry, fried rice and coke.. The only good thing I can say about it was the coke was freezing, and I won't be going back.

Its Millennium all the way for me :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭nudger

Yeah, it's Millennium for me as well, they do a great Tom Yum for something different.

10.30am and we'er talking about take away's, has to be good Friday.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement