Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Careers in America

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Iano_128

It's not something I'd ever dream of doing Silja :)

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Aprilmay

Iano_128 wrote: »
    I see so it is possible :) The company I'm working for is like a sub company of HP which are a US company and I've been here for the past 3 years now, so maybe a part time college course to get a degree and keep working away in the meantime and see what opportunities open up in the future! I know my company don't exist in the US but I know HP provide the same service we provide in AMER as here in EU so I'll just need to keep my eyes open for opportunities within HP and I can see what comes up.

This is not really an option either most Jobs do not sponsor for a green card not ordinary run of the mill jobs anyway. A friend of mine got one but her husband is a big Executive who represents a global company.It was expensive for his company and lots of red tape and lawyers involved.

We got the DV lottery on our first attempt and have green cards and my husband gets calls on a regular basis from recruiters for jobs.They always ask your status they don't want the hassle.My husband does work for HP here and they don't just sponsor people.

Another friend is on a visa with the bank her husband works with its only for 3 years I think( I don't know what visa it is) they are trying to apply for a green card or some other visa to extend their stay, they also have a child born here but Its going to be tough to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Iano_128

Ah I see.. Well that doesn't surprise me too much about HP in fairness.. From reading peoples comments on here, I know the green card lottery only has a .83% chance for winning but most of you seem to have gotten it 1st or 2nd time round.. It seems the most hassle free way of going about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭rockonollie

I see :) I've heard that if you enter you're opening yourself up to a world of spam mail but it'd be worth it if I won :) Do you know roughly how many people enter a year and how many visa's are given out?

There's plenty of sites out there that claim to offer entry into the greencard lottery......that's where the spam will come from, and you never know which ones even make the application for you.

You should only ever apply through the Dept. of State website, all of the info is here

Seems like a very expensive way to go about it, and does that actually work? Can't imagine it'd be too easy to find an american girl willing to marry that easily, although I suppose 10 g's is a lot of money these days!

Even with the marriage, you still have the visa process......still have to prove the legitimacy of the relationship.....and because the marriage would be less than 2 years old, you'd only get a conditional residency card.....2 years after arriving in the states you would have to go through the process of proving the legitmacy of the relationship again........don't think 10K would cover the expense of a girl having to marry you AND live with you for over 2 years to complete the process.

A few decades ago, this may have been an option, but immigration has tightened up, it's illegal, it's expensive and most of all it's a 1 in a million shot to actually work....the diversity lotto has better odds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

**** there will be no more discussion, mention, suggestion or advising of any kind regarding illegal immigration activity, specifically marriage for greencard purposes. Bans will be next ****

silja wrote: »
    **** there will be no more discussion, mention, suggestion or advising of any kind regarding illegal immigration activity, specifically marriage for greencard purposes. Bans will be next ****

My apologies Silja

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

Nothing to do with you rockonollie, it's another member that made more suggestions of illegal activity. :)

Advertisement