Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Bewley's wins court battle against upward-only rent move"

Options
  • 25-03-2013 4:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37,300 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/bewleys-wins-court-battle-against-upward-only-rent-move-589120.html
    Bewley’s Café has secured a landmark victory to stop its landlord hiking the rent again.
    It is estimated to be half of what it was set at five years ago.[/B]
    Rent on the four-storey building, traditionally known as Bewley’s Oriental Café, has gone from €213,000 in 1987 when the lease was first signed to €1.46m in 2007.

The case heard that Grafton Street rents are said to be down 52% from the peak if a tenant gives up a lease and a landlord seeks a new occupier.

This would be seen as good news for a lot of the bigger shops on the high street, that are paying rents higher than that of the Celtic Tiger era, during a recession. I hope more businesses will use this to get a better rate to allow them to stay in business.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭Boulevardier

An excellent result.

I think the government should take note. They broke a promise to legislate on upward-only rents on debatable "constitutional" grounds.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

If this filters down to the consumer it will be good news

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭gaius c

Apparently, this was only successful because of a glitch in the wording. It may not set a precedent for other existing commercial leases. Hopefully I'm wrong though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

gaius c wrote: »
    Apparently, this was only successful because of a glitch in the wording. It may not set a precedent for other existing commercial leases. Hopefully I'm wrong though.
    Hopefully they all copypasta'd the same lease or similar amongst themselves. I've heard of lazier practices.

Advertisement