Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solar battery charger with LED light and switch

Options
  • 25-03-2013 4:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,942 ✭✭✭✭

I need to light an open under stairs "cubby hole" It's bright enough during the day especially in the morning but the rest of the day it's a bit too dark to see properly when the hall light casts a shadow.

I'd like to be able to have a small light there controlled by a switch.
    Running cable there is out of the question.

We only need it lit for a few (<10) minutes every day so I was wondering if I could use a solar PV powered battery charger connected to a LED light.

I can't find an off the shelf solution, so I was thinking of making my own. I make another circuit connecting the battery to a LED ribbon.

I would have the LED light circuit controlled by a switch and ideally if there was a type of switch that could control 2 circuits such that when the lighting circuit is made, the charging circuit is broken. Due to my lack of electrical knowledge I'm assuming it's more likely to work if I keep the 2 circuits permanently separate.

I have three questions
    1. Is there an easier/better way of doing this?
    2. Will a PV panel produce even a small amount of electricity under indirect lighting?
    3. Do I need to keep the 2 circuits separate and if so, does such a switch exist.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭stoneill

You need a relay -
    Your main on/off switch controls the relay so that when you throw the switch the relay turns on the led circut and turns off the charging circuit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭freddyuk

Maybe I missed something but how are you going to charge the battery with a solar panel if there are no cables? Where will the solar panel be?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,942 ✭✭✭✭josip

freddyuk wrote: »
    Maybe I missed something but how are you going to charge the battery with a solar panel if there are no cables? Where will the solar panel be?
    Hi Freddy, no cables meant no mains cables. I hope to put a 12v PV panel under the stairs beside the light, or in the hall as an art piece :) if it can't generate any power under the stairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭freddyuk

OK but the panel will need more light than that. I commend your move towards renewable energy but it will not work in this situation and I think the job is not worth all the effort and expense. Could you not use a simple LED off a disposable battery?. If you want solar then you need to get a small twin core cable to the outside somewhere and a small alarm battery with controller and LED MR16 bulb and holder.

Advertisement