Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pat Rabbitte sacked by the public!

• 25-03-2013 6:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,742 ✭✭✭

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10151496030529501&set=vb.104589406365966&type=2&theater

Wow, that man had great balls to demand answers from the cowardly Rabbitte who just sat there the whole time and didnt even open his mouth once. I love how fast the Guards arrived, just because it was a politician. To not even have the guts to answer any of the man's questions, and he wasnt even being rude either. What a disgusting country we live in that the elite can rob us blind and never have to answer to anyone :mad:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

joe duffy ---->

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

Hooray for mob justice! Who needs democracy when we can just rant at politicians in the pub? You and I clearly have different definitions of what being rude means, the guy was being a ranting arsehole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Clandestine

Yes, shout at the man while he's trying to eat a meal in peace. That'll work....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Good on the man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

Is there nothing the elite won't do? Look at Pat sitting there enjoying a meal IN A RESTAURANT when he should be trying to save this country. I bet he plays golf and has a jacuzzi bath is his larger-than-average 4 bedroom home as well.

Makes me want to puke.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

that man deserves a medal

for listening to that ****e

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭LETHAL LADY

Is that video not about two years old?

I've always wondered about the type of onion-headed mouth breathers who post comments after articles on thejournal.ie and join facebook groups supporting idiocy like this. That 'protester' sums them right up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭omahaid

Does Pat know he's sacked? He still seems to be turning up for work. Or is this a Milton type situation?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭hawkelady

That clip is so old it was on reeling in the years last night.

• Advertisement

Is that video not about two years old?

Yes and the fat fvck is still stuffing his face, and getting fatter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Ah yeah, this is that old video of the complete asshole who decides to verbally assault a man who's trying to eat a meal?

No end of morons in this country who think that political action involves shouting at people and being a dick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Pretty miserable ranting at the man when he is having a meal.

I understand people are being pushed to the pin of their collar and beyond but that is not on. I have a serious problem with any member of FF, especially those that were in power for the 14 years that led to our downfall but I would not have the ignorance to butt in on them having a meal to rant at them.

All events like this will do is to ensure politicians separate themselves fully from situations where they can meet the public and create a bigger gap between "us and them". Reading the comments on that clip is also quite sad, the mob mentality being displayed is worrying and the fact that most of the ire is being directed at the current government shows how short term some peoples memories are. The current situation we are in was created by the bad policies of the FF led governments and their PD & Green lackeys. I reckon most of those who commented will probably vote for FF or FF-lite (SF) if an election happened tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

seamus wrote: »
    Ah yeah, this is that old video of the complete asshole who decides to verbally assault a man who's trying to eat a meal?

No end of morons in this country who think that political action involves shouting at people and being a dick.

Sounds like an average day in D.E in fairness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10151496030529501&set=vb.104589406365966&type=2&theater

Wow, that man had great balls to demand answers from the cowardly Rabbitte who just sat there the whole time and didnt even open his mouth once. I love how fast the Guards arrived, just because it was a politician. To not even have the guts to answer any of the man's questions, and he wasnt even being rude either. What a disgusting country we live in that the elite can rob us blind and never have to answer to anyone :mad:

Sigh. Ye're all over boards now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭LETHAL LADY

To be fair, there was definitely some salad on his plate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

omahaid wrote: »
    Does Pat know he's sacked? He still seems to be turning up for work. Or is this a Milton type situation?

Next step: Get someone to steal his stapler.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

I heard he drinks tea too.

What a monster.

I heard he drinks tea too.

What a monster.

Most like with full fat milk too!.. Complete monster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 146 ✭✭paperwork

People who are standing up for Rabbitte are being extremely childish, the Irish people aren't happy about how this country is being run and not a single person in power is willing to listen. I was standing outside the Dail protesting the necessary payouts to bankers, something that wasn't supported by the IMF and nobody listened. So how can we respect them now? I think if these people don't respect us enough to listen then they shouldn't be given a minutes peace.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

He's lucky the Rabbite didn't eat him by mistake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,420 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

paperwork wrote: »
    People who are standing up for Rabbitte are being extremely childish,.

He's a centrist politician, not a serial killer or child abuser.

If there is a huge problem with him, vote against him or his party or protest or organize yourself politically

Targeting somebody in their personal life like that is a bit OTT.

Rabbitte should have given your man a slap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

anncoates wrote: »

If there is a huge problem with him, vote against him or his party or protest or organize yourself politically

While I do not agree with him being approached in the manner he was....

Pat was conducting 'business' at the time in fairness, its not like he was out with the wife and kids having ice cream.

Wrong Labour party.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Rabbitte is waddling in the footsteps of Jabba the Hut by the looks over it,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

People who are standing up for Rabbitte are being extremely childish,

Sorry but that is a pile of crud. I am not standing up for Rabbitte I am saying that there is a right way and place to air your issues. If that man felt so strongly why didn't he go to one of Rabbittes clinics and raise the issues there.

I would counter saying that verbally attacking someone trying to eat a meal is behaviour that is actually childish and extremely immature.

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

The bit where the lad gets arrested and some woman tries to start a sing song along the lines of "this is what democracy looks like" is hilarious.

People have organised countless protests in this country and nothing has changed. Cuts to child benefit, cuts to disability, proposed lowering of minimum wage (again) and nothing has happened. They don't listen to us, but they keep taking the pay-check. These people treat us like children so we should behave like children.

Take the guy who threw an egg at Enda Kenny during visit to UCD. In any other situation, in any other nation I would consider the protester a complete. But Kenny has lied and done so much wrong, but he's been held accountable for nothing... So what else can we do? We protest, he ignores us, we ask for answers he buries his head in the sand... its tiresome and pointless... throw an egg at him, at least you'll feel better and someone out there will know how exhausted people are with this situation.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭15Pete

Pat Rabbitte was enjoying a meal in a restaurant like any normal person. It is not in his job description to answer the questions of any incoherent loon whose company he is unfortunately unable to avoid, just because said fool feels like airing some grievances. Judging by the other clientèle of the establishment, it is not a snooty restaurant and even if Mr. Rabbitte was adding the bill to his expenses, under the right circumstances he is entitled to do so, as is the same for many government ministers or businessmen globally. €40 is not going to save this economy, lower spending and higher taxes will, however unpalatable you may find that.

As for the gentleman who was subsequently arrested in a fracas, I only skimmed through the video but it appeared that he was warned numerous times that if he did not move along on his merry way he would be arrested. At this point he has two choices, and he seems to think he is some kind of martyr as he resists the inevitable arrest, as if he was achieving more than just embarrassing himself and his family and wasting Garda time. Even if perhaps the Garda did not have a genuine reason to send the gentleman on his way, he should have had the cop-on not to try and take a stand.

Regarding the rest of the hecklers in the video, they seem to be unworthy of much attention. I would imagine most are probably relatively unsuccessful and frustrated with their lives, but being too stupid or immature to acknowledge their own shortcomings in their lives thus far, are keen to point the finger at anyone else in a desperate attempt to justify their beliefs to themselves that it is not because they didn't work hard enough that they are not where they want to be, it is the politicians' fault, the bankers' fault or anyone else's fault but their own apparently.

Mr. Rabbitte is doing his best for this country and does not deserve abuse from onlookers in his personal life. Nobody here has as much experience and knowledge of government as he does, and most who claim they do exist in a fantasy gaga-land of their own where we can just tax the rich at 90% and there's enough money to go around for ALL their little pet projects. Funny how none of those people I ever met have done significant study of economics. They are usually armchair administrators who think with a few strokes, all of Ireland's woes could be solved in a day.

Finally I must note how ridiculous those who reprimanded Mr. Rabbitte for not intervening with the Gardai arresting the other gentleman. What kind of a state would we be in if we had government ministers clashing with Gardai in public telling them not to do their job? Thank goodness Mr Rabbitte is not so egotistical that he thinks he can step in and overrule any member of our police force in an attempt to gain cheap popularity. The attitudes of some people in this country would boggle anyone's mind.

S0crates wrote: »
    Pat Rabbitte was enjoying a meal in a restaurant like any normal person. It is not in his job description to answer the questions of any incoherent loon whose company he is unfortunately unable to avoid, just because said fool feels like airing some grievances. Judging by the other clientèle of the establishment, it is not a snooty restaurant and even if Mr. Rabbitte was adding the bill to his expenses, under the right circumstances he is entitled to do so, as is the same for many government ministers or businessmen globally. €40 is not going to save this economy, lower spending and higher taxes will, however unpalatable you may find that.

As for the gentleman who was subsequently arrested in a fracas, I only skimmed through the video but it appeared that he was warned numerous times that if he did not move along on his merry way he would be arrested. At this point he has two choices, and he seems to think he is some kind of martyr as he resists the inevitable arrest, as if he was achieving more than just embarrassing himself and his family and wasting Garda time. Even if perhaps the Garda did not have a genuine reason to send the gentleman on his way, he should have had the cop-on not to try and take a stand.

Regarding the rest of the hecklers in the video, they seem to be unworthy of much attention. I would imagine most are probably relatively unsuccessful and frustrated with their lives, but being too stupid or immature to acknowledge their own shortcomings in their lives thus far, are keen to point the finger at anyone else in a desperate attempt to justify their beliefs to themselves that it is not because they didn't work hard enough that they are not where they want to be, it is the politicians' fault, the bankers' fault or anyone else's fault but their own apparently.

Mr. Rabbitte is doing his best for this country and does not deserve abuse from onlookers in his personal life. Nobody here has as much experience and knowledge of government as he does, and most who claim they do exist in a fantasy gaga-land of their own where we can just tax the rich at 90% and there's enough money to go around for ALL their little pet projects. Funny how none of those people I ever met have done significant study of economics. They are usually armchair administrators who think with a few strokes, all of Ireland's woes could be solved in a day.

Finally I must note how ridiculous those who reprimanded Mr. Rabbitte for not intervening with the Gardai arresting the other gentleman. What kind of a state would we be in if we had government ministers clashing with Gardai in public telling them not to do their job? Thank goodness Mr Rabbitte is not so egotistical that he thinks he can step in and overrule any member of our police force in an attempt to gain cheap popularity. The attitudes of some people in this country would boggle anyone's mind.

Typical FF poisoned attitude, don't ask about the offshore oil because you might sound crazy, don't bother the crooked politicians because they are just doing their job.

I can only imagine that you're lucky enough not to have had your life effected by the reckless acts of people like Rabbitte.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭sfwcork

Think they shouod employ that graham dude that wasnt let into the nightclub

He would quickley gather a mob

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Peetrik

Fair play to the guy for demanding answers. "Isn't that what you tend to do during an election" is not an acceptable position to take for doing a u-turn on promises you make to get elected. There should be mandatory jail terms for clearly breaking election promises. Would solve these populist stances to get into power in a hurry IMO.

TLDR: The mans a cnut

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭15Pete

Typical FF poisoned attitude, don't ask about the offshore oil because you might sound crazy, don't bother the crooked politicians because they are just doing their job.

I can only imagine that you're lucky enough not to have had your life effected by the reckless acts of people like Rabbitte.

I am not aligned with any political party. I find it difficult to believe that Pat Rabbitte has ever intentionally affected anyone's life in a negative way. True, some of his actions may have had bad consequences for some people, but generally these decisions are made to minimise the overall suffering, so to affect as few people as possible. There are no answers that make everyone happy.

By all means, ask about offshore oil through the correct medium, not accosting a man having dinner. Have these people no class? No, do not bother politicians when they are not working because it only serves to alienate them from the man on the street and foster disharmony. Write to a member of the Dáil if you feel passionately on an issue, that's what normal, educated, civil, respectable people do. According to your logic a football manager should be swarmed out for dinner by hecklers if his team are performing badly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭Fromthetrees

awec wrote: »
    The bit where the lad gets arrested and some woman tries to start a sing song along the lines of "this is what democracy looks like" is hilarious.

What that clearly proves is that we need to get the fluoride out of our public water supply and we give out far too many prescription pills on the medical card.

We are a failing state. :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Dwork

Mayoman911 wrote: »
    Yes, shout at the man while he's trying to eat a meal in peace. That'll work....
    What a bunch of subservient cap doffers we have in this country. Ohh, he's Pat rabbitte, sure you can't speak to him... fcuk off. Good on your man. If there were more people with a gob on them, the pols might be a bit more careful what they do.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Dwork wrote: »
    What a bunch of subservient cap doffers we have in this country. Ohh, he's Pat rabbitte, sure you can't speak to him... fcuk off. Good on your man. If there were more people with a gob on them, the pols might be a bit more careful what they do.

If there were more people who voted in the elections that would be a better start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭Phill Ewinn

Was that starters?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Joshua J

Sergeant wrote: »
    Is there nothing the elite won't do? Look at Pat sitting there enjoying a meal IN A RESTAURANT when he should be trying to save this country. I bet he plays golf and has a jacuzzi bath is his larger-than-average 4 bedroom home as well.

Makes me want to puke.

Sycophants make me want to puke.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,225 ✭✭✭Yitzhak Rabin

That's complete nonsense.

Mature adults air their grievances in a civilised way. A letter, a polite phonecall, a request for a meeting, a lobbying of other party members to speak on your behalf. It doesn't mean you're subservient, it just means you have manners and good etiquette.

Loudly and brashly interrupting a man having a meal in private is the carry on of a buffoon. Its not big, or clever. I have no idea what the point the fella was trying to make, because as soon as I heard his foghorn voice and tone, I switched the video off and formed my opinion. Thankfully most of society recognises that behaviour like that belongs in the schoolyard, or the cattle mart.

• Advertisement

That's complete nonsense.

Mature adults air their grievances in a civilised way. A letter, a polite phonecall, a request for a meeting, a lobbying of other party members to speak on your behalf. It doesn't mean you're subservient, it just means you have manners and good etiquette.

Loudly and brashly interrupting a man having a meal in private is the carry on of a buffoon. Its not big, or clever. I have no idea what the point the fella was trying to make, because as soon as I heard his foghorn voice and tone, I switched the video off and formed my opinion. Thankfully most of society recognises that behaviour like that belongs in the schoolyard, or the cattle mart.
    You've watched coverage of the Dail so, I presume.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,129 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

It did and there was a thread here about it.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=80454461

The thread's so old, the post numbers are in Roman numerals.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,225 ✭✭✭Yitzhak Rabin

You've watched coverage of the Dail so, I presume.

Yes, its a chamber of debate. Not a restaurant. Robust debate is to be expected in one but not the other.

Do you think that Pat Rabbitte, as a - for the latter part of his life - committed social democrat actually sits down at his desk every day and makes difficult decisions for the laugh of it? He became a member of government during a period of extraordinary economic turmoil. Unprecedented decisions had to made, and if the government can be accused of anything, it's that they haven't made the deep cuts necessary, sooner.

We still live in a country with one of the highest standards of living in the world, and with a social welfare system that is extraordinarily generous by any reasonable measurement.

People are finding it tough, but this kind of thuggery and thickness being highlighted as a form of legitimate protest is idiotic in the extreme.

Do you think that Pat Rabbitte, as a - for the latter part of his life - committed social democrat actually sits down at his desk every day and makes difficult decisions for the laugh of it? He became a member of government during a period of extraordinary economic turmoil. Unprecedented decisions had to made, and if the government can be accused of anything, it's that they haven't made the deep cuts necessary, sooner.

We still live in a country with one of the highest standards of living in the world, and with a social welfare system that is extraordinarily generous by any reasonable measurement.

People are finding it tough, but this kind of thuggery and thickness being highlighted as a form of legitimate protest is idiotic in the extreme.
    I think it's great and we need far, far more of it. We are far too subservient to our so called "leaders". I find the silence and acceptance to be far more repugnant than an honest man vocally expressing his exasperation at the rotten standards of Politics. Nothing worse than a nation of humble lick-spittles. They need shouting at a hell of a lot more. "Highest standards of living" - pull the other one, it's got bells on. You've been to a hospital lately, right? You live in a fantasy world of government approval. Luckily, you're a member of a diminishing minority.

I think it's great and we need far, far more of it. We are far too subservient to our so called "leaders". I find the silence and acceptance to be far more repugnant than an honest man vocally expressing his exasperation at the rotten standards of Politics. Nothing worse than a nation of humble lick-spittles. They need shouting at a hell of a lot more. "Highest standards of living" - pull the other one, it's got bells on. You've been to a hospital lately, right? You live in a fantasy world of government approval. Luckily, you're a member of a diminishing minority.

During the 'Celtic Tiger', FF lead governments bought elections by appeasing the unions and employing thousands of extra non-core staff in all areas of the public service.

We pour billions of euros into a public health service that never worked as efficiently as it could. It's a fiasco.

Yet any attempt to change things is met with howls of the type of righteous indignation that seems to appeal to those who have all the questions, but very few of the answers.

Any ideas how we plug a 12 billion gap, and maintain the perks and services we feel we should be accustomed to? Back of a fag packet type ideas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Mayoman911 wrote: »

Pat does'nt look like he's ever gone hungry for long

He should be afraid to stick his noise out the front door for the scorn that will be poured upon him, as should every fianna failer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

During the 'Celtic Tiger', FF lead governments bought elections by appeasing the unions and employing thousands of extra non-core staff in all areas of the public service.

Did they appease you too? Just a weensy teensy bit? Its okay you can admit it, you were'nt the only victim of appeasement. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

People who are standing up for Rabbitte are being extremely childish
    Childish for saying that the guy who lit into him was being a dick and no guarantee that those who feel that way have even a hint of time for Rabbitte? The guy who had a go at him while he was merely having a meal is the childish one.
    The accusations of "You must be a FG voter" are boring and lacking any thought whatsoever.

It is possible to have never voted FG ever (i.e. me) and have issues with the government (the bank bailouts and the bloated government salaries in my case; otherwise though, I don't hold a grudge against them for not waving a magic wand and working miracles) yet still to consider that guy's lazy, unbrave, unthinking act against an easy target to be extremely prickish. It does not make a person pathetically deferential either - they could be anything but.

Protesting in a dignified manner rather than acting like a haranguing tit (which will just cause the government to laugh at you and give them an excuse to get heavyhanded with you) is good IMO - it doesn't achieve much, but it's important to voice your concerns. Something like this and the Joan Burton spectacle in Dundalk though is likely to achieve even less.
    The notion that the government are evil people out to get us and enjoying making us miserable is really dumb.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,660 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Madam_X wrote: »
    The accusations of "You must be a FG voter" are boring and lacking any thought whatsoever.

Good grief, you must be a FG voter.

:P

• Advertisement
Advertisement