Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who's That Pokémon?

• 25-03-2013 6:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 708 ✭✭✭

I had a go at making a game to test your Pokémon identification skills. It's pretty much like the bit in the middle of the TV show where they show a silhouette and you've to guess it.

The link is below, let me know what you think, or if you have any suggestions for things I could add.

http://gearoid.me/pokemon/

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭Prodigious

That's class :D well done!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

I'm terrible at this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭Urizen

My downfall is being unable to spell Cofragrenade :P

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

That's pretty nice, but like Urizen sometimes the spelling is letting me down :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 708 ✭✭✭syncosised

Good to see people using it! I agree the spellings can be a fecker, but let's say it's a feature, not a bug! :) I'm looking into allowing spellings which are close enough, but that can be difficult to do in a simple way.

It looks like most people are selecting Gen I to try, I know I did all my testing on those anyway! Once I get to any other gen, I'm lucky if I get a streak of 3!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭looking_around

It's good, .. spellings can be tricky, especially in the later gens, where (might be just be) it seems like pokemon names are trickier to pronounce and spell.

Playing the dream sync on GL has probably help with learning pokemon names XD

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

Enter doesn't seem to be confirming when I type in a name. I'm just left with a silhouette of a Jinx staring back at me, and nothing I can do about it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

deathrider wrote: »
    Enter doesn't seem to be confirming when I type in a name. I'm just left with a silhouette of a Jinx staring back at me, and nothing I can do about it.

Maybe you have the spelling wrong, it's Jynx.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

Denny M wrote: »
    Maybe you have the spelling wrong, it's Jynx.

Ah, you're dead right too. Cheers.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Highest streak was 7 :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

this would make a great app for the app store, would be great for passing the time on the train

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

this would make a great app for the app store, would be great for passing the time on the train

There's a free app already that does that and two other mini games thrown in too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

There's a free app already that does that and two other mini games thrown in too

damn i was hopin he'd make it and i might get some royalties from it :P

I would have made an app, but I figure using Nintendo's copyrighted images is a real no-no! I see they're claiming it's an "educational" app so it falls under fair use copyright laws. I doubt it would stand up if Nintendo wanted to take it down though!

It would be nice though, I was on a train journey recently and would have loved to have played it myself. :)

Oh also, has anyone tried the other difficulties? They use the in-game sprites. I like trying the Master mode, with a silhouette of the back of the sprite!

Hope this isn't bad form digging up an old thread. I thought ye might be interested to know that I made a few updates to the game. The main things are the addition of cries and an option for lenient spelling. Have a go at Elite difficulty and see if you manage even 2 in a row!

Link is the same as before: http://gearoid.me/pokemon/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

I cant get the spellings :( I know who they are though

On the left-hand side, under the Spelling menu, click on Forgiving. That should make it a bit easier! If you don't see the menu, try refreshing the page. Your browser might have saved an old version of it.

Advertisement