Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Marker Hotel - Grand Canal Dock

Options
  • 25-03-2013 6:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭

I heard that the new Manuel Aires Maetus designed hotel is due to open on April 2nd. Can anyone confirm this?

Is there a name for the hotel?

When is it available to book?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Mingetoad

It is called The Marker hotel and seems to have booking availability on it's website.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭RoyMcC

Great to see it open. I thought it would be mothballed indefinitely. The local economy must be at least twitching if a new hotel is able to open its doors for business.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭liffeylite

Good news indeed for the docklands.

180 jobs as well plus plenty of high end visitors staying there. the roof top terrace bar looks very cool also!

As mentioned, you can book rooms now on www.themarkerhoteldublin.com

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭CourierCollie

Bit about it in the Times today http://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/hotel-design-fails-to-meet-original-vision-1.1337177

Nice to see it's opening, even if it is a bit ugly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

Bit about it in the Times today http://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/hotel-design-fails-to-meet-original-vision-1.1337177

It is interesting that the Irish Times filed that story under the 'Crime and Law' section of their website :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Jesus. Ugly is being too kind ! :(

Still, bravo etc etc for any new business opening up and providing employment these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭another question

Thanks everyone. I googled and googled and googled yesterday looking for it, The Irish Times never prompted, all I kept getting was Flickr results of it's rather non-attractive exterior. I'll have a goo at the website now.

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭pugwall

I love it. The area needs a quality hotel and it should be successful due to plenty of commerce in the area.

Exactly. I don't know why people are knocking it. it may not be to everyones taste, but it is a five star hotel and will be part of a world leading hotel group with 180 jobs. Its a massive boost for the area!

it also has a spa, 2 bars and a restaurant.

Captia have set up camp in grand canal dock also, the area could just do with someone taking the large office building facing the maldron hotel and it would be buzzing.

facebook added 100 jobs last month, in grand canal docks.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭ScottSF

I walked by it yesterday and it hardly looks like a hotel - more like an office block. I wonder if this is part of the (minimalist?) design.

I am also surprised that coverage of its completion and opening (finally) has been so minimal. I bet very few people know there is a new hotel in the Grand Canal Dock. Perhaps their big launch marketing effort is yet to begin.

Of course it is a very welcome addition to the area as there are still several retail sites to let and a huge population of young people living around this neighborhood. There is also a new coffee/lunch place called Baker (I think?) which I have yet to try.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 561 ✭✭✭keano2012

ScottSF wrote: »
    I walked by it yesterday and it hardly looks like a hotel - more like an office block. I wonder if this is part of the (minimalist?) design.

I am also surprised that coverage of its completion and opening (finally) has been so minimal. I bet very few people know there is a new hotel in the Grand Canal Dock. Perhaps their big launch marketing effort is yet to begin.

Of course it is a very welcome addition to the area as there are still several retail sites to let and a huge population of young people living around this neighborhood. There is also a new coffee/lunch place called Baker (I think?) which I have yet to try.

Hotel looks pretty good though. Bit curious to see what there rooftop bar will be like. The baker?? where exactly is this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭Ideo

keano2012 wrote: »
    Hotel looks pretty good though. Bit curious to see what there rooftop bar will be like. The baker?? where exactly is this?

Think its the new one on the corner opposite the milanos

Ideo wrote: »
    Think its the new one on the corner opposite the milanos

I don't know about the baker, but donnybrook fair are currently fitting out a shop and café in grand canal dock to open this month. the same goes for BBs coffee shop and café which is next door to herbstreet.

I also believe that facebook have rented the large empty office block next door to the marker hotel. great news if true as it means they will be looking to add even further to their workforce in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭ScottSF

Yes Baker is on the corner opposite Milano. I checked on Google Maps Streetview wondering what used to be in that spot and apparently it was a restaurant called Riva. Before my time :)

Thanks liffeylite for telling us about the other plans for the dock. Another supermarket and coffee shop? Surprising more are in demand (there are already 4 or 5 cafes present) but we'll see..

By the way, how do you find out about upcoming development other than walking by seeing what is happening?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,958 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Rooms start from 249 euro ???
    Is there not a recession at the moment?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

I was in The Marker a few weeks ago. The bar is a bit hotel lobby / airport lounge for my taste. A bit too spacious and open... The cocktails / wine are also very expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,311 ✭✭✭markpb

You know the hotel is probably not targeting itself at Irish people, right? Besides which, what about other hotels in that price category, they're still open.

markpb wrote: »
    You know the hotel is probably not targeting itself at Irish people, right? Besides which, what about other hotels in that price category, they're still open.

Who are they targeting then?

Who are they targeting then?

Presumably people from other countries, like most hotels? It's a city centre hotel in a good location. Sure it might benefit slightly from Irish people who want to see a show in GCT but that won't keep it going all year round. Tourism is one of our biggest exports after all.

markpb wrote: »
    Presumably people from other countries, like most hotels? It's a city centre hotel in a good location. Sure it might benefit slightly from Irish people who want to see a show in GCT but that won't keep it going all year round. Tourism is one of our biggest exports after all.

Yes but aren't most European countries as broke as us?
    The Yanks don't seem to like being ripped-off either.

I really hope there are enough rich visitors to keep it going.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

There probably is if it's any good. Visiting execs for IFSC companies have plenty of money to expense.

I don't like the design, but I'm glad to see something original. A sort of "yuck....cool".

People assume that a recession means the people in the country are broke but it's the state, not its residents that are in financial trouble. It isn't true in Ireland and it's not true elsewhere. Plus the German, Norwegian and other northern European economies are doing relatively well. And like I said earlier, there are other expensive hotels in Dublin already. A night in the Shelbourne, the Merrion or the Four Seasons aren't cheap.

Plus there's the rest of the world - it doesn't start at California and end at Poland. One of Brown Tomas' biggest revenue areas is from Asian customers because the cost of luxory goods is lower here than is several Aisan countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Twenty10

Liffeylite, any idea where Donnybrook Fair are setting up shop? Delighted to see that in the neighbourhood!

Twenty10 wrote: »
    Liffeylite, any idea where Donnybrook Fair are setting up shop? Delighted to see that in the neighbourhood!

I believe it will be inbetween fresh and the crystal boat. if there is an empty unit there, which I think there is, I am pretty sure it will be going in there, so gallery quay.

ScottSF wrote: »
    Yes Baker is on the corner opposite Milano. I checked on Google Maps Streetview wondering what used to be in that spot and apparently it was a restaurant called Riva. Before my time :)

Thanks liffeylite for telling us about the other plans for the dock. Another supermarket and coffee shop? Surprising more are in demand (there are already 4 or 5 cafes present) but we'll see..

By the way, how do you find out about upcoming development other than walking by seeing what is happening?

usually there are articles in the papers centred around commercial property.

so the irish times or the independent are generally good sources.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Its a 5 star hotel. Thats not that outlandish a price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

That's for a suite.

Rooms start at 169

mikemac1 wrote: »
    That's for a suite.

Rooms start at 169

Just noticed that. Imo, thats good value for the standard of room you get

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Rooftop lounge not open until June.

I don't fancy staying in a hotel with construction work still going on!

But it looks fantastic, be a great place to bring a date :cool:

• Advertisement

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Rooftop lounge not open until June.

I don't fancy staying in a hotel with construction work still going on!

But it looks fantastic, be a great place to bring a date :cool:

Especially with the Grand Canal Theatre next door and some lovely restaurants in the area

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement