Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

motorcycle seat alteration/repair in Munster?

• 25-03-2013 6:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 322 ✭✭

Hey guys I've had a quick look around for people/companies that do this kind of work but have only stumbled across JC motorcycle seat covers, which is a tad far away from me. Does anyone know of a similar place in or around Munster that does seat alterations/upholstery?

The seat has slight tearing near the tank but I also need to slim down the foam a bit because im a midget :pac: I could give it a crack myself as I have the new cover but want it done right. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Robbknoll wrote: »
    Hey guys I've had a quick look around for people/companies that do this kind of work but have only stumbled across JC motorcycle seat covers, which is a tad far away from me. Does anyone know of a similar place in or around Munster that does seat alterations/upholstery?

The seat has slight tearing near the tank but I also need to slim down the foam a bit because im a midget :pac: I could give it a crack myself as I have the new cover but want it done right. Thanks.
    Its easy enough to shape it with an 80 grit flap disc on a grinder.
    Do it outside!
    What kind of cover is it? They are pretty easy to fit in general.
    I have done a good few of my own bikes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 322 ✭✭Robbknoll

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Its easy enough to shape it with an 80 grit flap disc on a grinder.
    Do it outside!
    What kind of cover is it? They are pretty easy to fit in general.
    I have done a good few of my own bikes.

Its a seat for a 00 Bandit 600 (old model). Slimming the foam wouldnt be too much of a bother as i have access to a workshop, its just the refitting of the seat cover to be snug is my problem. As it looks the cover will be good to go on now but with an inch of foam taken off would there be folds in the seat?

Thanks for the reply by the way.

Robbknoll wrote: »
    Its a seat for a 00 Bandit 600 (old model). Slimming the foam wouldnt be too much of a bother as i have access to a workshop, its just the refitting of the seat cover to be snug is my problem. As it looks the cover will be good to go on now but with an inch of foam taken off would there be folds in the seat?
    You start at the front, staple along the front edge and then pull the back tight and staple that.
    Then work along the sides from side to side, front to back keeping the material tight and pulled straight not at an angle.
    This will ensure the vinyl fits well with no puckering.
    Keep the vinyl in a warm place beforehand preferably do the job somewhere warm, warm vinyl goes on better than cold stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 322 ✭✭Robbknoll

CJhaughey wrote: »
    You start at the front, staple along the front edge and then pull the back tight and staple that.
    Then work along the sides from side to side, front to back keeping the material tight and pulled straight not at an angle.
    This will ensure the vinyl fits well with no puckering.
    Keep the vinyl in a warm place beforehand preferably do the job somewhere warm, warm vinyl goes on better than cold stuff.

Came across a few videos on youtube going over similar situations and its giving me confidence to maybe do it myself. I know a guy with spare seats so if i knacker it up ill be able to get a replacement at handy money.

Thanks for your help CJ, if i make a balls of it ill post it up :pac:

Don't rush it, take your time and use a hairdryer to help with making the vinyl supple.

• Advertisement
Advertisement