Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Those Nine A1 People...

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,237 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Glee_GG wrote: »
    ^ I don't see why it has to be costly though? Like the girl went to my school and if your timetable worked out perfectly we could actually take 8 subjects and lots of people teach themselves an extra subject so it's not necessaryly expensive

I suppose if grinds or extra classes are taken it can work out expensive.

I couldn't care less how many subjects want to do in the Leaving and if they have all the advantages in life that allow them to get multiple A1s easily, fair play to them. Some people like running marathons too, or learning how to tap dance well. It doesn't make them any better or worse than anyone else.

I would have thought there were far more interesting and inspiring 'human interest' stories surrounding the LC than focussing on the multiple A1 people. An easy 'investigation' for journalists I suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭LostBoy101

I've been told that one girl up in the North of Ireland did her A Levels and got 3 A1s which is very rare to get in A Levels. The only day she didn't study was Christmas Day! and when she got up every morning for school she did a half hour study before she went in, madness!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

LostBoy101 wrote: »
    I've been told that one girl up in the North of Ireland did her A Levels and got 3 A1s which is very rare to get in A Levels. The only day she didn't study was Christmas Day! and when she got up every morning for school she did a half hour study before she went in, madness!

Why is it mad to set high standards for yourself and to set about achieving these goals through hard work and dedication???

Why is it mad to set high standards for yourself and to set about achieving these goals through hard work and dedication???
    I admire her hard work and dedication but studying intenstly just makes you burnt out when exam time comes around.

I admire her hard work and dedication but studying intenstly just makes you burnt out when exam time comes around.

Her results would suggest that you are incorrect

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Leaving Cert Student

spurious wrote: »
    I suppose if grinds or extra classes are taken it can work out expensive.

I couldn't care less how many subjects want to do in the Leaving and if they have all the advantages in life that allow them to get multiple A1s easily, fair play to them. Some people like running marathons too, or learning how to tap dance well. It doesn't make them any better or worse than anyone else.

I would have thought there were far more interesting and inspiring 'human interest' stories surrounding the LC than focussing on the multiple A1 people. An easy 'investigation' for journalists I suppose.

Mate I actually agree with you :0

Her results would suggest that you are incorrect
    Of course and fair play to her. However for me I don't need to bust my hole to get 600 points for a mecidine course which most people who pick it end up hating their careers.

I think taking breaks is important in my opinion as it is not sacrificing anything and people still manage to get A1s by taking necessary breaks unlike this girl.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 301 ✭✭Undeadfred

Of course and fair play to her. However for me I don't need to bust my hole to get 600 points for a mecidine course which most people who pick it end up hating their careers.

I think taking breaks is important in my opinion as it is not sacrificing anything and people still manage to get A1s by taking necessary breaks unlike this girl.

Yeah like in that article in the original post you can see how the 3 students who got nine A1s still did other stuff. That girl Caoimhe went to a rugby match every Friday and probably watched a good few matches a week if she was a keen supporter
    One of the other guys played piano and flute in the orchestra while he did his leaving. Something that would take up a fair bit of time.
    For people like them, its something more than just constant study. Its something to do with the way they think

Glee_GG wrote: »
    ^ I don't see why it has to be costly though? Like the girl went to my school and if your timetable worked out perfectly we could actually take 8 subjects and lots of people teach themselves an extra subject so it's not necessaryly expensive

Ah this is so pedantic, obviously extra subjects implies extra workload which implies extra grinds. And most schools, in fact probably no schools at all allow for 9 subject timetables so extra classes are needed... Evidently 9 subjects is going to cost more than 7, thats without mentioning extra textbooks, mock papers etc.
    Just feel like people are arguing for the sake of arguing sometimes...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,671 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Austmcc wrote: »
    Ha, just came across this thread cause it was on the home page. I'm in my last year of college now, and from seeing people over the years leaving cert is not all its made out to be. yes by all means put the work in and do the best you can. But im telling you, 80% of all the people who did amazingly well (by that i mean all the people getting all A's and that crazy stuff) in secondary school cant hack it in college. its a different type of learning all together. of course there are exceptions, but college is less about the set syllabus and regurgitating facts, its more about adapting the knowledge to new situations.

and before i get someone giving out to me, im not saying the LC is easy, just highlighting different forms of learning.

and jesus, dont give out about getting 500+ points. thats really well done. at the end of the day stop comparing yourself to other people and do the best you can. and over studying is just as bad as not doing enough. you'll only wear yourself out for the actual exam

While I agree with most of the sentiments in this thread, the bit in bold is just a load of tosh people say to make themselves and others feel better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Eoin247

Perhaps some people find these 9 subjects relatively enjoyable and thus absorb more with a normal amount of study? I enjoy physics while I hate Irish. I can do relatively little study for physics and do well but give me the same time for Irish and there ain't a chance of me doing well.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Austmcc

AdamD wrote: »
    While I agree with most of the sentiments in this thread, the bit in bold is just a load of tosh people say to make themselves and others feel better.

well like i stated i said from my experience. so im basing this on all the people i know did extremely well, not a blanket statement. im not making it up, and i dont need to cause i did my leaving cert 4 years ago, well past caring what points get what etc. just offering my opinion and some friendly advice to people stressing over comparing themselves to others.

well like i stated i said from my experience. so im basing this on all the people i know did extremely well, not a blanket statement. im not making it up, and i dont need to cause i did my leaving cert 4 years ago, well past caring what points get what etc. just offering my opinion and some friendly advice to people stressing over comparing themselves to others.

I think there's truth to this. I remember my dad showing me the CV of a girl applying for a job and on it she got 590/600 points in her leaving, but she ended up doing a very average degree. It suprising considering her achievement with the leaving cert. We all thought she would've gone on to do a much more significant degree like medicine or law

• Registered Users Posts: 12,671 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Undeadfred wrote: »
    I think there's truth to this. I remember my dad showing me the CV of a girl applying for a job and on it she got 590/600 points in her leaving, but she ended up doing a very average degree. It suprising considering her achievement with the leaving cert. We all thought she would've gone on to do a much more significant degree like medicine or law

You realise she would have chosen that degree before she had even done her LC and getting high points in no way means you should just choose law or medicine for the sake of it?

I just dont know anymore... seems like the same thing is just said over and over on this forum...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 835 ✭✭✭kingcobra

You realise she would have chosen that degree before she had even done her LC and getting high points in no way means you should just choose law or medicine for the sake of it?

They're probably talking about the standard of the degree in terms of its level, 1.1, 2.2 etc. :rolleyes:

It was an anticlimax after her leaving

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Yeah by all means achieve your full potential, but 625 with 6 subjects is the same as 625 with 9 subjects, you just impress more people and cost your family more money? I don't see the reasoning, unless you want a subject like applied maths because you will be doing it in college anyway? Taking ag science just for the other A1 seems pointless and costly on your parents, we are in a recession too?

Oh well it seems the mods have developed a little following here so best not express ones opinions.
    Funnily enough, none of the mods have actually suggested they would recommend people to take 9 subjects. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭yournerd

Im doing 8..

yournerd wrote: »
    Im doing 8..

Highers?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭yournerd

yeah for now but I think it's too late too change anyways

What're you getting in all of them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 835 ✭✭✭kingcobra

Aren't you able to change what level on the day of the exam?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Monsieur Folie

Maybe these people just enjoy the quest for knowledge or whatever. I don't see why we should immediately assume they're all doing it just to show off the A1's. Some certainly would be I'd say, but definitely not all! If I was able for it and there was another subject I wanted to do I'd do it! Why not? I took up applied maths for that reason (though I'm certainly not getting an A1 out of it, I'll be lucky to pass :P).

I mean, judging by their results they'd have been coasting if they just did 6 or 7 subjects so if they want to challenge themselves and do a few more then it's not up to us to judge them.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭CatEyed92

But im telling you, 80% of all the people who did amazingly well (by that i mean all the people getting all A's and that crazy stuff) in secondary school cant hack it in college.

Completely agree with this! I know a few who did very well in their Leaving Cert but couldn't get to grips with college at all. The Media love hyping up the 625 points and the 9A1's but no one gets a sequel to these people.
    I know one who let everything go out the window because they finally got a taste of life and freedom - went WILD. Others were not built for college.

9A1's or whatever is not all it seems.
    In fact, the sooner the points race is done away with, the better.

Funny how the media never highlight the majority of students who achieve 300-500. They are often overshadowed which is unfair.

CatEyed92 wrote: »
    Completely agree with this! I know a few who did very well in their Leaving Cert but couldn't get to grips with college at all. The Media love hyping up the 625 points and the 9A1's but no one gets a sequel to these people.
    I know one who let everything go out the window because they finally got a taste of life and freedom - went WILD. Others were not built for college.

9A1's or whatever is not all it seems.
    In fact, the sooner the points race is done away with, the better.

Funny how the media never highlight the majority of students who achieve 300-500. They are often overshadowed which is unfair.

The points race is still the fairest method of determining who gets a place in a particular course.

Because 9A1s are a rarity it is newsworthy.
    A guy getting 350 points is not newsworthy because it is not rare.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 346 ✭✭weirdspider

The points race is still the fairest method of determining who gets a place in a particular course.

Because 9A1s are a rarity it is newsworthy.
    A guy getting 350 points is not newsworthy because it is not rare.

Agree with this entirely. It almost annoys me to hear people complaining about the Irish education system. When compared to the British system, its a dream! Everything is faceless and anonymous; you get the points, you get the course, regardless of your personality or achievements. No interviews, no bias and its a lot less expensive for students.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,237 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

kingcobra wrote: »
    Aren't you able to change what level on the day of the exam?

Yes, you are.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭sganyfx

Oddly enough in my area there are two people predicted to be hitting 625+ Me and a girl, oddly enough we both have the best social lives out of everyone else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭shleedance

I failed my Leaving Cert. The nature of the work just didn't click with me, despite how hard I studied. Only got around 126 points.

However, I went the FETAC route since their points are equivalent to LC points. I was lucky since I got 11 Distinctions and a Merit on the FETAC course I did, which is roughly 400ish points not including the portfolio. This was more than enough to get myself into a pretty decent 3rd level course, which normally would be impossible with my LC points.

In other words, the stressing of points in the LC is well... pointless. If you mess up there's always a way around it through FETAC. In ways, it's possibly more beneficial since you're more prepared for a college environment, compared to going straight to college from the LC.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement