Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Those Nine A1 People...

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭yournerd

At the end of the day, people don't ask how many subjects did you do or how many points did you get but did you have enough for the course you wanted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 358 ✭✭Joe Hart

yournerd wrote: »
    At the end of the day, people don't ask how many subjects did you do or how many points did you get but did you have enough for the course you wanted.

Some future employers will be very interested in your leaving cert results so I wouldn't write it off completely.

sganyfx wrote: »
    Oddly enough in my area there are two people predicted to be hitting 625+ Me and a girl, oddly enough we both have the best social lives out of everyone else.

You are in for some land when you hit the real world.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭sganyfx

Joe Hart wrote: »
    You are in for some land when you hit the real world.

How so?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Leaving Cert Student

Oddly enough I have won seven Nobel prizes yet oddly enough I have the pick of whichever supemodel I want.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭Aspiring

I'm doing 8 subjects but I'd only be focusing on my best six yano the same as anyone else. Anyone doing the leaving cert who has labeled themselves as a "625 points guarantee" is gonna be in for a bad time. Get down off your high horse! ;)

Aspiring wrote: »
    I'm doing 8 subjects but I'd only be focusing on my best six yano the same as anyone else. Anyone doing the leaving cert who has labeled themselves as a "625 points guarantee" is gonna be in for a bad time. Get down off your high horse! ;)

Jealous of their social life?

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭sganyfx

It would seem so :O

*Eats pop-corn*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭ahmdoda

its really depends on what social life means to everyone some people sit at their home with their x-box gaming and streaming all day they think that they have the best social life other prefer to club all night and and think they have the best social life

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭ChemHickey

I honestly don't see why people are making such a big deal about taking more subjects than the norm. It's their own decision. I took 8, all higher level and got on fine, not overworking or stressing myself out at all. I remember I only properly started studying after Easter and still got on well in all my subjects and didn't sacrifice on for another. I didn't take 8 subjects to show how much better I am than everyone else or to show off "8 higher level subjects" but more because I enjoyed the subjects I picked. I would have done more if I could, I'll tell you that.

I really wanted to do physics for LC but I couldn't due to time tabling. I wanted to do applied maths too (its part of my college course) but I thought it would have been to difficult without physics (I was so wrong). I also really wanted to do classics as I'd always had such an interest in that side of history and in the mythological and such and Latin as well because of the same reasons.

Maybe you'd call it crazy, but some people actually like learning and broadening their academic scope. I would still be interested to go back and resit the LC taking a whole new set of subjects to those I previously say because they'd all interest me in some way.

There is no need at all to be mocking people and putting them down for taking more subjects than is necessary. The majority wouldn't be taking it to prove a point but because they love what they study. It is difficult to juggle all the subjects but it boasts a rewarding outcome. I wouldn't recommend taking more subjects than needs be unless you know you can handle it (and you should know yourself if you can or cannot).

But there is a lot of unnecessary tension and passive aggression in the thread. You should all just concern yourselves with your own leaving cert as that is what is the most important thing. You shouldn't waste time thinking of what the others may or may not achieve. If they achieve it, congratulate them as it is an amazing accomplishment just don't lower their achievement; there is no need to.

Anyways, that was a long post. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

That being said claiming that you have a great social life and that you're tipped to get 625+ (+ ?) in the leaving cert will only cause tension, so try and be reasonably modest, it's not results day yet. Let's all chill :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭shleedance

Some future employers will be very interested in your leaving cert results so I wouldn't write it off completely.

I highly doubt that. People have got pretty decent jobs through this route.

Besides, they'd rather see what degrees you have than LC results these days. Too many qualified people these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭CookieMonster.x

I know a woman whose brother in law works for a large company in Ireland and is involved in employing people and she said that the first thing they look at is leaving cert results.

And I know many people who got into successful IT, Law etc. jobs through FETAC and then 3rd Level. You have to remember they are equivalent to LC points, so they are considered LC points.

There are reasons for this, ie. older people who left before the Leaving Cert.

Of course Leaving cert results aren't the be all and end all, but I also know first hand that there are some people working in resources with the attitude that CookieMonster.x describes above (rightly or wrongly). There's also gonna be lots of employers who couldn't care less about LC results.

Of course Leaving cert results aren't the be all and end all, but I also know first hand that there are some people working in resources with the attitude that CookieMonster.x describes above (rightly or wrongly). There's also gonna be lots of employers who couldn't care less about LC results.

I do find it silly though. If someone had a PhD in their field of expertise, along with several years of experience... it would be stupid to turn them down because they did crap on History years ago, once the degrees etc. are related to the job they're looking for.

Yeah that would be silly, and it's a shame that there are people out there receiving CVs with that attitude (although perhaps to not quite the extreme of your example :p). I'm not disagreeing with you at all. I just think it's probably a little unwise to completely dismiss the relevance of the LC on your CV, unfortunately you just don't know who's looking at it!

It would be a different story if one didn't do too well in college and such.

I do dismiss the relevance of the LC in my CV, especially if FETAC basically replaces it in terms of points. The only disadvantage I see is that I can't look for jobs outside the field I studied, but that isn't a major issue for me.

Well I'm not really arguing that one thing on a CV is more important than any other. And everybody will have a different opinion on how important the LC or FETAC is, especially relevant to what else in on the CV.

I'm gonna leave it here as this thread has sort of been dragged off topic. I don't have anything to add but I'm sure there are lots of people willing to debate the importance of the leaving cert if you want to continue the discussion in another thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭yournerd

My mam did an engineering plc and is now the top avon manager in ireland :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Glee_GG

I don't think that employers would use your lc results as a reason not to hire you but say if you have two equally qualified people for a job, both with excellent references and experiences etc, then they might look back as far as lc results to see perhaps if that would differentiate them, maybe to show that one of them has worked harder since secondary etc or something like that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭Aspiring

I'm lost, jealous of who's social life? The people who label themselves as 625-pointers...?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 283 ✭✭user.name

The main thing employers look for is experience

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 582 ✭✭✭sleepyheadh

<snip>

If so, registering on Boards specially to take a dig at someone whose family will be affected by it hardly shows you in a very good light, now, does it?

Or anyone who thanks such a post, for that matter.

R

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

I think this thread is done, actually.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement