Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storage solutions for digital imaging...?

Options
  • 25-03-2013 7:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭

Currently, my workflow is as follows:

1. I transfer images from a camera's memory card to one of three HDs on my desktop (one is a C: drive; one is for RAW files; one is for Edited files;) The images are copied onto the RAW files drive.

2. After editing, the images are converted to TIFFs and/or Jpegs and are transferred to the Edited files drive. (The RAW files remain on the RAW files drive.

3. I then run Synctoy to copy the contents of both the RAW and Edited drives to external HDs.

These external HDs are simply 2TB mains powered portable drives. (2TB more that covers the RAW file requirements for a year and usually covers the Edited TIFF capacity also.)

At the end of the year, I make a second copy of the RAW and Edited drives to additional external HDs and then start all over again.

Would I be better off having some kind of server?

How does this sound?

If so, what should I consider? (Please provide a link.)

Any other thoughts?

Many thanks.

D.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭platinums

What do you not like about your current process?

Do you want to make it less labour intensive, less manual?
    Do you want to automate the conversion to Tiff?
    Do you want to automate the Synctoy process with a fully automatic one?
    Do you keep the end of year backup offsite? ( a server would not help you here )
    What gain do you see from a server, as you have suggested it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭Dinarius

Thanks for the reply.

I thought a server might be a neater solution.

My office shelves are covered in external HDs. Each year I end up with models that are different from the previous year. So, it all looks a bit of a mess.

Also, if I drop one, it will probably break. This is why I keep two copies of the RAWs (one of the TIFFs). But, I'm wondering would a small server be more secure in this sense?

Thanks again.

D.

Advertisement