Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Essex School Bans Flapjacks...

• 25-03-2013 7:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭

Well, makes them square shaped instead of triangler, after a child got injured from a sharp edge on one during a food fight.
    A school's decision to ban triangular flapjacks after a pupil was hurt has been labelled "half-baked" by the Health and Safety Executive.

It follows an incident at Castle View School in Canvey Island, Essex, when a boy was hit in the face by a flapjack.

Catering staff at the school have been told only to serve square or rectangular flapjacks.

The school said the "isolated accident" had led to a review of "the texture and shape of the flapjacks" provided.

A spokesman for the Health and Safety Executive said: "We often come across half-baked decisions taken in the name of health and safety, but this one takes the biscuit.

"The real issue isn't what shape the flapjacks are, but the fact that pupils are throwing them at each other - and that's a matter of discipline, and has got nothing to do with health and safety as we know it.

"We're happy to make clear that flapjacks of all shapes and sizes continue to have our full backing."

Health and safety advisor Ray Hurst said he could not understand why triangular flapjacks had been banned, but not those cut into squares or rectangles.

"Anything that is thrown is likely to cause injury if it hits somebody, especially in the face or the eye," said Mr Hurst, former president of the Institution of Occupational Safety and Health.

"It does seem a little over the top to ban triangular flapjacks," he said.

Essex County Council said it did not give schools guidance on the shapes of foodstuffs.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex-21923218

Thiss has to be one of the crazier nanny state changes inforced on us.

:eek:

But surely a four sided flapjack would be more dangerous, due to its extra side/edge.

:pac:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭Prodigious

Make circular ones.

/Thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Health and safety gone mad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,328 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

irish-stew wrote: »

The state are fine with it. It's a nanny school. ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

this was in Essex....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

Health and safety gone mad.

It's a refreshing change from that other lunatic PC though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Can I say fucktards?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

flapjassels for the win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭irish son

Won't someone please think of the children.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

I hate the term nanny state.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,462 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

What are flapjacks?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 Talk To Frank

flippin' hell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Should they not make them roundy if theyre worried about sharp edges? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 968 ✭✭✭the_pits

Paper next .........No more nasty paper cuts ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,328 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

phasers wrote: »
    Should they not make them roundy if theyre worried about sharp edges? :confused:

And call them balljacks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭armchair fusilier

Why don't they just ban food fights instead?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

A spokesman for the Health and Safety Executive said: "We often come across half-baked decisions taken in the name of health and safety, but this one takes the biscuit."

No one outside of AH would have ever said that sentence. Own up, which one of you was it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

Yuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuup!

Outlaw triangle shaped snacks!

Sure carpenter's rulers, steel rulers and double pointed compasses are graaaaaaaaand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

Pretty sure that laws in the UK don't affect us :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

One of the many reason I'm proud of my new home county. . .it is a county, isn't it :confused:

stupid orange skinned, ridiculous side-parted, scarily white-toothed morons!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 835 ✭✭✭kingcobra

A spokesman for the Health and Safety Executive said: "We often come across half-baked decisions taken in the name of health and safety, but this one takes the biscuit.

Ahhhh you beat me to it Bipolar Joe :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

The "nanny state", in this case the HSE did not tell them to do it, they sort of mocked the decision. The council didn't tell the to do it. The school decided to ban triangular flapjacks on their own. No nanny, no state, no local govt.

Rabble rabble nanny state rabble pc world gone mad rabble rabble blah.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭Aineoil

The shape of the flapjacks is not relevant I think? What about the behaviour of the students? The behaviour of the pupils should be in question here - not the shape of biscuits? .....Just a thought......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Steve O

kneemos wrote: »
    What are flapjacks?

A vaginal exercise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Love2love

I thought flapjacks were pancakes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Pretty sure that laws in the UK don't affect us :rolleyes:

It was actually a policy change, not a law change.

Without going to far off topic, UK Law can affect us, as historically, Irish Law is based on UK Law. In edition, decisions made in UK courts can form a precedent for decision making here, which in turn, can influence future changes in the law.

So yes, laws in the UK, can affect us.

;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

The English have turned into some shower of pussy whipped bitches.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

I've been to Canvey Island, my mother in law lives there. It's a sh*thole of a town. The seaside town they forgot to close down. I say sh*thole, as many people take their dogs to crap on the seafront. Death by flapjack would be better than a long life in Canvey:P Its Essex after all,innit mate.

Methememb wrote: »
    Make circular ones.

/Thread.

And turn them into frisbies? Imagine the velocity they would hit you with :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭King of Kings

i blame the PC brigade and multiculturalism

none of this would have happened under Churchill.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Owenw

Grayson wrote: »
    And call them balljacks.

Or nunchucks, if it was a convent school :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

I wonder what the eat with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

But surely a four sided flapjack would be more dangerous, due to its extra side/edge.

But the corners wouldn't as acute as a triangle flapjack's..

You have to look at it from a depressed, lonely primary school maths teacher's perspective.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

I immediately thought of ralph wiggum after reading that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

I immediately thought of ralph wiggum after reading that.
    "Ok kids, take out your circles of paper and safety pencils."

(Well that bit didn't feature Ralph Wiggum but I know what ya mean).

It is like one of those Daily Mail "Derpa derp gone maaaaaad!" (usually untrue) articles though. One incident with a sharp-cornered flapjack = ban all sharp-cornered flapjacks? Gotta be more to it. It's too stupid to be that simplistic. And surely square/rectangular flapjacks have sharp corners. Actually, given all the puns, maybe it's a wind-up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

But the corners wouldn't as acute as a triangle flapjack's..

You have to look at it from a depressed, lonely primary school maths teacher's perspective.

Ah, but if you slice it diagonally you end up with two!

• Advertisement

Now you're just being obtuse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Thankfully Home Economics isn't on the primary syllabus. We'd all be doomed if it was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Steve O

Madam_X wrote: »
    Gotta be more to it.

You're probably right, but unfortunately some people are ****ing idiots so it wouldn't surprise me if it was true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

Got injured by a backed square of oatmeal to the face?

This lad would die in a good old fashioned rock fight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Dwork

Health and safety gone madder.
    It started out mad. It's getting worse. It is now rolling around in the freezer eating its own shyte. When I was at school we spent our breaks killing each other at rugby or football, throwing darts at each other, battering the knuckles off each other with black-board dusters and fighting. We occasionally stopped to eat. The level of cissie-ness amongst kids has gone off the scale.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

Dwork wrote: »
    It started out mad. It's getting worse. It is now rolling around in the freezer eating its own shyte. When I was at school we spent our breaks killing each other at rugby or football, throwing darts at each other, battering the knuckles off each other with black-board dusters and fighting. We occasionally stopped to eat. The level of cissie-ness amongst kids has gone off the scale.

Spent hours at school seeing who would wilt first, throwing darts at each others legs. :) Wimps and flapjacks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Dwork wrote: »

We played football and bulldog on a tarmac covered playground, although the later was eventually banned. A blow to the head, that was usally just dealt with by the playground supervisor, if you were walking around, you were fine. As for the black board dusters, they were chucked across the room, sometimes by the teachers.

Advertisement