Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Appealing Property Tax Valuation

Options
  • 25-03-2013 8:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭

Hi

I received letter from revenue stating that our house is valued in the 150,000-200,000 bracket. Which means we owe 157euro for half year and 325 for full year.

I do not believe our house is worth in excess of 150,000.

Our house is a 3bed 2bathroom bungalow built 4yrs ago in a rural location with no access to mains water.

A house across from house sold for approx 80k last yr (bank sale) (4bed dormer)

I would have (grudgingly) accepted our house being valued in the 100,000-150,000 bracket .

So fellow boardsies,
    A. Is there any point appealing this valuation?
    B. how do I go about appealing ?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

You don't have to appeal against Revenue's valuation- its an estimate. Put the lower valuation on the form and return it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭Redshift

It’s a self-assessed tax so you pay tax at the rate you thinks it's worth.
    Check on the http://www.propertypriceregister.ie
    for comparable houses in your area and then print or save a screen shot.
    Mine was also over valued but I found on the above site four similar properties in our estate were sold in 2012/3 so I added them together and divided by four which gives a median value for the house/area
    In my case it was bang in the middle of the band beneath that which revenue indicated.
    So I will be paying one band lower than their estimate and I have evidence to back my valuation.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

It's self assessed, find properties in your area that have sold and are similar to yours. Pay according to those prices

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

Only caveat is to make sure that the house that sold for €80k was a regular sale.

If the house was, for example, fire damaged and sold for €80k as a result then Revenue would have a case against you down the line.

But if you're comparing like for like then go for it. Print and keep screenshots of the €80k house on the property price register as your evidence and you'll be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

House was sold as a liveable house and they moved in as such
    So now I ll search property price register.

Thanks for all the help every one

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

Here's a thread on www.askaboutmoney.com designed to help with realistic and fair market values. http://www.askaboutmoney.com/showthread.php?t=177785

Altogether a collection of better designed sites with better user-interfaces and bigger data-sets than that stupid Property Price Register. One wonders what the new quango on the block spent to get a bad job done badly. not that they care mind you, because the money comes from our pockets.

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭Nickindublin

Anyway I got my letter in. Revenue have placed my apt in the 200-250k and looked for 202 euro for half year. I have a one bed ground floor in a complex with just 1,2 and 3bed apt.1 bed Apt been sold ATM for between 80k and 90k according to the property price register. So I think I should be paying 45 euro to revenue not 202. So I think they will be getting 1.80 per week off me for 6 months...

Advertisement