Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky broadband

Options
  • 25-03-2013 8:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭

Anybody got the new sky broadband? Thinking of trying it, in ballymote and the signal here for phone and internet is not good.
    €40 for unlimited download and 12mb speed.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

If eircom is poor so will sky. They go on the phone line as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭johnire

Hi there.

I have had it a couple of months now and can highly recommend it.
    The changeover was very easy and the Internet speed is much faster than I was getting.

Quote=Hobbitfeet;83830564]Anybody got the new sky broadband? Thinking of trying it, in ballymote and the signal here for phone and internet is not good.
    €40 for unlimited download and 12mb speed.[/Quote]

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭bennyc

I was informed by a mate working in Eircom that Ballymote is going fibre in the next month so they would be able to provide up to 50MB.

Now I am about three miles from Ballymote and and currently getting 2MB on a good test, maybe 1.5 average. I don't know if this will increase my speed as its only the exchange getting the upgrade not the line outside the house.

Either way if your the same as me then your DSL is already MAX if its under the speed that you can get. The lines are the same and everyone uses the same exchange so Sky / Vodafone / Eircom will all be the same.

I am on 40euro a month with Eircom and have evening / weekend calls and unlimited BB.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

johnire wrote: »
    Hi there.

I have had it a couple of months now and can highly recommend it.
    The changeover was very easy and the Internet speed is much faster than I was getting.

Quote=Hobbitfeet;83830564]Anybody got the new sky broadband? Thinking of trying it, in ballymote and the signal here for phone and internet is not good.
    €40 for unlimited download and 12mb speed.
    [/QUOTE]

Are you in Ballymote like the OP?
    Location makes a big difference, even in the areas of a town.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭Hobbitfeet

Never had eircom but heard bad things about speed and limiting download. We have meteor thing at the minute, it's stuck to the window upstairs window needs to be open a bit for it to work!!
    Sky said they tested the line and we would get 12mb speed, we'll see.
    So if ballymote is getting fibre will we then be able to get UPC? It's so much cheaper would be great. I'm in ballymote town

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Hobbitfeet wrote: »
    Never had eircom but heard bad things about speed and limiting download. We have meteor thing at the minute, it's stuck to the window upstairs window needs to be open a bit for it to work!!
    Sky said they tested the line and we would get 12mb speed, we'll see.
    So if ballymote is getting fibre will we then be able to get UPC? It's so much cheaper would be great. I'm in ballymote town
    no upc use their own lines separate to eircom

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭Henlars67

Eircom don't give you the max speed available on your line though, have no idea of the reason for this.

Presume it's something ridiculous like being able to very slightly increase it every time you complain.

Sky will be faster ads they will give you the very maximum speed available on your line.

I'm living in Sligo town.
    red sean wrote: »

Are you in Ballymote like the OP?
    Location makes a big difference, even in the areas of a town.[/Quote]

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭Henlars67

Regardless of where you live they don't give you the full speed available on your line.

If the max speed is 12, they'll give you 9 or 10.

If you're out the country and it's only something like 1.3 or 1.4 you'll be lucky to get .7 or .8

I left eircom and just use mobile internet now as it's much cheaper and not a whole lot slower.

Well I signed up so will see how it goes. Try said eircom slow down there speed at times and that sky won't. Will update when it's installed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭bennyc

Well I signed up so will see how it goes. Try said eircom slow down there speed at times and that sky won't. Will update when it's installed

What speed do you get currently on speedtest.net and how far from Ballymote are you ?

Be interesting to see but my money is if your currently under 8MB which would be the usual eircom max then you wont see an improvement , however I would be delighted if you do get an increase.

Getting around 2mb with meteor wifi dongle in ballymote town. This varies and its constantly disconnecting so we have to go upstairs and press connect button numerous times. We should be connected with sky next Tuesday

• Registered Users Posts: 43,894 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Been on it since the start of February.. got it in their trial for a tenner a month for phone and BB.

Am in town (up by Heatherview) and finding it very unreliable.. was promised speeds of 3.5MB - 4MB (my line supported up to 4MB) but while it was stable enough initially, am finding for the past month or so that it veers wildly between 0.2MB - 2.8MB (the higher end is rarer).

Am on my second Sky router and still the same.. tried my old router and even that's unreliable so it's definitely poor service and not equipment.

Not impressed.. am sticking with them purely because it's cheap but am not particularly happy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Seamus1964

Now you've said it!

Very same here,been on it since the end of February (previously Vodafone)
    Morning to lunchtime 17mb - lunchtime to evening 7mb-8mb - evening to night 1mb-1.5mb
    Vodafone was at least 5mb stable speed 24/7

I seriously regret my decision to become Sky Broadband customer..

Seamus1964 wrote: »
    Now you've said it!

Morning to lunchtime 17mb - lunchtime to evening 7mb-8mb - evening to night 1mb-1.5mb

Yep, sorry to hear you've similar experiences Seamus.

If I wasn't paying a tenner a month, I'd have scrapped it.. but will live with it at that price hoping it improves. It's a big saving over a year so once the 12 months is up and they want to increase my bill to €50 or thereabouts, I'll be telling them where to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 tomwmurphy

Ive been with sky for just under a month and im going to cancel before my 30 day period is up - speeds during the day up to 9mb but after 7pm the best i get is 1.5mb - just not suitable for anything beyond email really.

Spoke to a helpful tech guy but he said there is nothing they could do. I was previously with UTV and never had any issues - constant 4-5mb any time - i was on an 8mb package - sky is supposed to be 12mb!

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭crustybread

I'm not in Sligo, living in Ratoath, Meath but have similar problems with Sky especially in relation to online gaming and downloading.

Moved to the broadband at end of January on the 10euro deal. At first it was great getting 10MB (told my line would support 12MB) but the past two weeks it's been terribly inconsistent.

I'm not sure if this is related but the problems started roughly around the time
    I bought a lot of games from the xbox live sale and these were 6gb downloads. I've noticed since then the speeds I'm getting in the evening are terrible (between 1-2.5 mb download.)

I've read a lot on the forums about Sky in the UK throttling speeds if your a heavy user. I wouldn't consider myself a heavy user. I was on to them last Thursday when I first noticed it dropping speed, there customer service is very helpful and to be fair it came back up to 10Mb the following day. But again the past two days the speed is dropping again. I asked about throttling and the customer service denied that they would throttle customer speeds.

I will be calling again in the morning to try get it fixed again. I was with Eircom for the past five years and never had to call them once. I'd consistently get 5-6MB and the speed was fine.

As Basq said the fact it's so cheap is keeping me with them but it's been a pain to be honest and I'm starting to think about trying to cancel the service and move back to eircom.

I wouldn't recommend them unless you've low usage and get a good deal on the price. :mad:

Well our broadband arrived yesterday morning. Plugged it in and checked speed was getting 10mb, great so of course started to download. That evening we went to stream a show and it was so slow checked speed again getting about 1mb. Checked speed this morning getting 10mb so downloading more will see what happens and if it slows down again. The person who signed me up said sky promise to never limit your speed like eircom does and that's what sold me, so if it keeps happening ill be able to cancel. Any idea why the speed would be dropping? Apart from sky doing it?

so if it keeps happening ill be able to cancel. Any idea why the speed would be dropping? Apart from sky doing it?
    I was convinced it was the Sky Hub / router they supplied.. but I managed to get the encrypted Sky username / password from the router (relatively easy, but not straightforward job!) and plug the settings my old reliable Netopia router and even that was unstable.

They've definitely done something to my profile.. and they can blame the "environment" / phone line as much as they want, but something's definitely fishy with the whole thing.

Tech support was good but kept relaying me back to the status area of the Sky router where the downstream was always what my lines support, but rarely close to the speed I was getting via various SpeedTest sites.

I'll stick with them at a tenner a month hoping it'll improve, but they're gonna lose paying customers quickly if something isn't done.

Just off the phone with them now. They said for the 1st 10 day they bombard the line with different speeds to try and determine the highest speed and once that's done we will have a consistent speed. Here's hoping they did assure me that they will never restrict my speed and if after 10 day we are having fluctuating speeds we can cancel no problem

• Advertisement

9:30pm - download speed 0.56mb :eek:
    Ah come on! Is this really broadband ??? More like dial up..

Why is this happening to me..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

We are with UTV broadband and can really recommend them.

Yes....I would have to agree. We were with them for years and found them to be excellent. We changed over to Sky about 2 months ago and have to say very happy with them. I just find it handier too just getting the one bill for TV phone and Internet.

magnumlady wrote: »

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭crustybread

Just a quick update. I have not had problems for the past week or so with the evening/nighttime throttling. Funnily enough the problems stopped when I gave them a rollicking and told them once the contract is up I would be moving to another provider if the service did not improve. Make of that what you will but I'm convinced they were throttling the broadband.

Sky did let me go (they can't do anything about my evening slow bb speed problems)
    No early termination fees, I do appreciate that move.

Sky has really friendly and mannered customer service staff...but that's not what I'm paying for..so time has come to move on.
    Previously been with vodafone but as them customer service is crappiest crappy crap (bunch of front screen zombie robots)- my next stop will be eircom ultimate bb package.

Hopefully it will work out

but

will see..

Hi there.

I'm with Sky and have had no issues.
    However if you are thinking of moving supplier I can certainly recommend UTV Connect. We were with them for years and found them excellent.
    Sky did let me go (they can't do anything about my evening slow bb speed problems)
    No early termination fees, I do appreciate that move.

Sky has really friendly and mannered customer service staff...but that's not what I'm paying for..so time has come to move on.
    Previously been with vodafone but as them customer service is crappiest crappy crap (bunch of front screen zombie robots)- my next stop will be eircom ultimate bb package.

Hopefully it will work out

but

will see..

magnumlady wrote: »

How much are you paying with UTV, what is the speed like and is it unlimited download? Thanks :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭wesf

Just a quick update. I have not had problems for the past week or so with the evening/nighttime throttling. Funnily enough the problems stopped when I gave them a rollicking and told them once the contract is up I would be moving to another provider if the service did not improve. Make of that what you will but I'm convinced they were throttling the broadband.
    i will be doing this tomorrow. fed up of this rubbish, less than 1mb in the evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 maxedw

Now you've said it!

Mine's exactly the same. It's basically useless when I need it i.e after 6.00 pm. Getting up on 12/14 MB during the day 9 mid-week.

Though Sky sent me a link to a trouble shooting guide which involves repeatedly rebooting the router, restarting the computer and changing your socks which results in a jump to around 3 MB download which lasts about 10 mins before it drops back to 1.5MB or so.

Just waiting for a youtube video to load now...Might do a Novena to pass the time.:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 fitzyo

We have it in Cobh since Feb 13 and up until recently everything has been fine and we were getting a fairly consistent 10mb download. However last week it started plummeting to under 1mb at about 5pm every day and weekends (peak times). The issue has been escalated so we are waiting to see what they do to resolve the issue. I'll keep you informed.

Advertisement