Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky broadband

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6 fitzyo

Somebody from their technical team just called to say that the reason for the speed plummeting is contention on the line and they have no plans to fix it any time soon. He basically said that they will give us the UAN and if we want to leave there will be no penalties for breaking contract. I'm amazed that Sky have entered the market with such a poor product as they will get a very bad reputation. Before we moved to sky we were with Home Vision and got over 8mb constantly without fail.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 cluttrell

I'm currently just out of contract with Vodafone Home BB and am shopping around. Sky's Unlimited BB + Anytime phone for €47.50 is extremely tempting but I'm glad I read through this thread and now have major concerns. Vodafone was extremely reliable, they've been doing BB for a long a while having taken over BT before them.

If you're reading this and are a Sky BB customer I'd really appreciate a very quick reply quoting my post and just say "Recommended :)" or "Not Recommended - Stay clear :(". Elaborate further if you would like!

I'm looking for an unlimited (or the max GB allowance available) package that's reliable at the best price I can get. A static IP would be a huge + as well, for various reasons.

So far I'm thinking it may be best to stick to what I know.
    Vodafone have offered 49euro pm for 300GB, they won't budge on a €3.99 pm static IP charge. If anyone has a better contract I'd love to hear about it.

Cheers all

• Registered Users Posts: 12 maxedw

fitzyo wrote: »
    Somebody from their technical team just called to say that the reason for the speed plummeting is contention on the line and they have no plans to fix it any time soon. He basically said that they will give us the UAN and if we want to leave there will be no penalties for breaking contract. I'm amazed that Sky have entered the market with such a poor product as they will get a very bad reputation. Before we moved to sky we were with Home Vision and got over 8mb constantly without fail.

Thanks for letting us know. I asked for their ( Sky Ireland ) return address for the modem today .They said it should be on the modem box but if it isn't give them a call. I said it isn't on the box so for yous who want to stop paying for sh1te heres the return address:
    Sky Ireland,
    1 Burlington Plaza,
    Burlington Road,

Dublin 4. Don't forget to cancel your DD directly with your bank. Don't ask them to cancel it for you cos they won't.

Eating humble pie and heading back to Eircom's no sharing-whatever speed I can get - broadband.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Bit unrelated...but just wondering do Sky have a call out fee if your TV reception is on blink?....ours has been coming and going for last few weeks on the 2nd tv in house,is fine on main tv.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭wesf

After lots of trouble shooting with sky I was told today that my crap speed is due to congestion, which I knew already, and there isn't a thing they can do about it. They gave me my UAN to move providers, didn't even have to ask for it!
    It goes from 10-12mb during the day the .6-1mb at night. Yes I did say point 6!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 AngryGoldfish

I'm with Vodafone at the moment. We're still using the old lines, and it's highly congested at peak times. I've been dealing with this for four years now. Roughly 4MB during the day and throughout the night; 0.5-1MB in the evening. No matter what I did to correct this, it was never fixed. Someone told me that Sky was satellite broadband, using masts rather than the phone lines, so I was excited to hear about it. It appears, though, that congestion is still a serious problem. I'll probably just stick with Vodafone until UPC or Eircom upgrade our lines, something I imagine won't happen for another five years.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 fitzyo

Sky use the normal phone lines just like the other providers. I think Nail Quinn's company uses Satellite so that might be worth looking into. Can't remember the name but you can Google it I'm sure... that is if you have enough speed :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

fitzyo wrote: »
    Sky use the normal phone lines just like the other providers. I think Nail Quinn's company uses Satellite so that might be worth looking into. Can't remember the name but you can Google it I'm sure... that is if you have enough speed :)
    Q-sat is Niall Quinns Co. They have download limits, so be careful.

just did a speedtest and got 3mb download, plugged in using an ethernet cable and got 11mb! changed the channel on the router and got 11mb wirelessly, hopefully that solved my problem!

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭crustybread

wesf wrote: »
    just did a speedtest and got 3mb download, plugged in using an ethernet cable and got 11mb! changed the channel on the router and got 11mb wirelessly, hopefully that solved my problem!

That worked for me first time I had the problem. But it started acting up again the next day. It's a very poor offering. I think i'll be going back to eircom, although I only ever got 5-6 at least it was consistent. Sky is shocking... No one will touch them once there cheap offer runs out. Its a shame because a few different options would have been nice. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭Hobbitfeet

Well we have it about 3 weeks now and find it good, yeah there is times with really crap speed but we get 10-11mbs during the day getting 6.5 now. €40 for unlimited download is great we download lots during the day.
    The evening had worst speed but its fine for just browsing Internet. I'd recommend it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭T-Bird

I get about 2.5 here in Grange, only problem I have is buffering in youtube. Not looked into it yet as I dont watch it much. We watch netflix quite a bit from an android mini tv mk808 and there are no buffering problems at all.

Just off the phone to sky for the 4th time. Basically told they don't provide uncongested broadband and the speed I get is it (1-2mb). Was given my UAN and will be changing provider asap.
    Moral of the story, stay away from Sky broadband until they sort themselves out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

Mine is doing okay. Had it a few weeks now.

2665108792.png

EDIT:

That was a couple of hours ago. This is now.

2665243844.png

Day time:

2666564800.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

Does location become a factor for broadband speed?
    On WiMAX and looking to find an alternative. I Was wondering if being in the town would be the reason it can be congested in the evenings

10.18 speed at the minute. I know there is some quite negative reviews here but I'm really happy with sky so far and would definitely recommend it. Getting rid of our sky tv so saving money too :)
    Also seems like sky customer care are pretty good and are willing to cancel contract when speeds are bad, so it's worth a try in my opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭steps_3314

Switched over to sky and started using the service 4 days ago. Getting between 0.32 and 0.81 all day ( morning/afternoon/evening).

Have rang Sky who have escalated. But after reading this forum it seems I will be moving provider. Is there a cooling off period in the contract?

Was previously with Vodafone and getting 4.5Mb 24/7.never had an issue in 4 years. Why would sky roll out such a poor service and risk losing their tv customers.

Very very disappointed as this has being a disruptive process. :mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

steps_3314 wrote: »
    Switched over to sky and started using the service 4 days ago. Getting between 0.32 and 0.81 all day ( morning/afternoon/evening).

Have rang Sky who have escalated. But after reading this forum it seems I will be moving provider. Is there a cooling off period in the contract?

Was previously with Vodafone and getting 4.5Mb 24/7.never had an issue in 4 years. Why would sky roll out such a poor service and risk losing their tv customers.

Very very disappointed as this has being a disruptive process. :mad::mad:

What did Sky say? (I do'nt understand the bit in bold :o)

red sean wrote: »
    What did Sky say? (I do'nt understand the bit in bold :o)

Sky have escalated to their technical team to check the settings. Sounds promising...not

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭johnire

Hi there.

I've read your post with great interest as I'm experiencing the exact same problem
    For the last week it's been getting progressively worse until last night when it basically packed in altogether.
    I rang them and like yourself it's been escalated.
    They are obviously having major issues and if they're not sorted out then I' line leaving them.

I was with UTV Connect prior to this and rarely had any problems with them.
    steps_3314 wrote: »
    Sky have escalated to their technical team to check the settings. Sounds promising...not

• Advertisement

Am I the only one happy with sky? We have great speeds between 6-12mb, occasionally it drops lower than 6 but this is rare. Wonder why I'm getting such good speeds and everyone else seems to get really poor service??

I thought the same until a few days ago but don't be surprised if yours ends up going the same way. Sky definitely have issues with their speed delivery as I had no problems whatsoever with my previous provider....so it stands to reason that the problem lies with Sky.
    Hobbitfeet wrote: »
    Am I the only one happy with sky? We have great speeds between 6-12mb, occasionally it drops lower than 6 but this is rare. Wonder why I'm getting such good speeds and everyone else seems to get really poor service??

Hmm.. We'll see it's been about 2 months now since it was connected. I hope it says as is :)

New low this morning.... 0.19Mb...how can Sky allow this to get this bad. Seems like a lot more people having issues

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Sligored

I am getting 25 mbps on the new horizon upc box

Do you mind me asking could you let me know the general area you are living in?
    Also was the external installation process easy?
    Sligored wrote: »
    I am getting 25 mbps on the new horizon upc box

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Sligored

living in tonaphubble , up past race course , there was no external installation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 grassypeg

My Sky broadband arrived this morning. After reading the posts on this I was vary of my decision to go with sky.
    However so far today I have been getting speeds of 10mb...hope this continues!

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭JoeCole26

Hey all,

Recently switched my parents over to Sky Broadband from Eircom and they Sky box came yesterday but they are telling me that Sky said it will be next week until its activated. A week?? Anyone having the same issues? Can they not use the Eircom service up until then?

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭T-Bird

JoeCole26 wrote: »
    Hey all,

Recently switched my parents over to Sky Broadband from Eircom and they Sky box came yesterday but they are telling me that Sky said it will be next week until its activated. A week?? Anyone having the same issues? Can they not use the Eircom service up until then?

Thanks

yes they can use eircom until the date given by sky. at least I did

Advertisement