Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iPhone 4S to 5

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37 garyingalway

I went from 4s to 5, way better then expected.got the white one,
    It's much lighter, and although the screen is not that much bigger it makes a big difference for video. Also the Internet speed is much faster 3G and Wifi. Half debating wether to with 5s this summer or hold out for 6 next year.. Will wait to see what 4G plans are available!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Bigcheeze wrote: »
    I'd imagine the network symbol is something transmitted by the cell and probably not enabled until official launch.

It's because the iPhone 5 can support DC-HSPA+ (3G technology) which is implemented on some Irish networks and can in theory deliver over 40mbit/s - in reality more like 10-20 mbit/s in real world scenarios.

There are no LTE networks on air in Ireland at present and if your phone were connected to one, it would display the symbol.

It also has a faster processor, so it's possible things just seem 'snappier'.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭princemuzzy

ironclaw wrote: »
    Agreed. They won't launch two in the same year.

My hunch would be a refresh in June with the 5S and the introduction of the cheaper iPhone as per the old schedule. Or the cheap iPhone in June and the 5S in October.

I was all set to buy the 5, having owned an original iPhone and then a 4 since launch day, but when it came out I finally said €680 is too much for a phone. I'm waiting til I'm in the States and I'll buy whatever is out then. My advice to anyone buying Apple is to leap frog i.e

iPhone 1 > iPhone 3GS > iPhone 4S > iPhone 5S

Its pointless buying the incremental upgrades as that's all they are, incremental.

the s's are the incremental upgrades no?

i had a 3gs then a 4 saw no pint in going to 4s and then went to 5.

difference from 4 to 4s didnt seem huge and id imagine that 4s to 5 wasnt that huge for some

i think if you were to spend forever waiting on the new one you'd never get one there will always be something better around the corner thats technology for ya

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

the s's are the incremental upgrades no?

i had a 3gs then a 4 saw no pint in going to 4s and then went to 5.

difference from 4 to 4s didnt seem huge and id imagine that 4s to 5 wasnt that huge for some

i think if you were to spend forever waiting on the new one you'd never get one there will always be something better around the corner thats technology for ya

The s is the incremental alright. But what I was trying to say is leap frog i.e. Don't go from the 4 to the 4s to the 5. Your always better off going a generation, take the iPad for example, assuming you started at 1:

iPad 1 to iPad 3, avoiding the 2.

Your 'loss' from depreciation will be hugely offset as you'll have a much better device in the 3 than you would have had by buying a 2 and then going to the 3 (Having suffered major depreciation twice as opposed to once)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,931 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

Bigcheeze wrote: »
    I'd imagine the network symbol is something transmitted by the cell and probably not enabled until official launch.

Apple needs to approve each network provider's 4G/LTE system first.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,931 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

I went from 4s to 5, way better then expected.got the white one,
    It's much lighter, and although the screen is not that much bigger it makes a big difference for video. Also the Internet speed is much faster 3G and Wifi. Half debating wether to with 5s this summer or hold out for 6 next year.. Will wait to see what 4G plans are available!

The 5S won't be out this summer as iOS 7 is rumoured to be behind schedule and will be in beta for a few months before release.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Aodhagan wrote: »
    The 5S won't be out this summer as iOS 7 is rumoured to be behind schedule and will be in beta for a few months before release.

I'm not so sure. I think you could see an iOS 7 unveil in June and a device in August / September. I'm a developer myself and builds can be very ad-hoc to say the least. GM builds have been false indicators in the past.

Advertisement