Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A Question for you RC People -Turnigy 1080

• 25-03-2013 9:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭

I need a high current 12VDC power supply for a car audio installation that I want to use in the house as I'm selling the car.

See this thread.

I'm considering the Turnigy 1080.

Have any of you experience with this power supply? Is it up to the job for powering an audio system without inducing any system noise?

Any advice or help appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,154 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

I don't have any personnel experience with this but the reviews don't seem to good. It is quite cheap though and the old saying "you gets what you pays for" comes to mind.

I don't know really seems a bit too dicey for my liking. You seem to be going to power some serious sound, would it not be better to get a high end PSU and be done with it? This thing might just hinder performance and you might end up regretting it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Thanks, T-Maxx.

I agree. I've read a few reviews myself and they raise a few questions. I'm looking at few other options too. I was hoping that someone on the model forum might have had experience with one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 283 ✭✭Mickb

Hi,

How much power do you need?
    (Do you know the peak amps it will be pulling?)
    Will it be pulling 60a all the time.

You could go something like this:

http://etronix-rc.com/power-accessories/etronix-energy-power-supply-25a-350w-2-output

or

http://www.cmldistribution.co.uk/cml_product.php?productId=0000004257

MiCk B. :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I'd probably get away with 60A but would prefer to have 70A or 80A just to be sure. Average current is estimated (at loud but not full volume) at around 50A at 13.8VDC. I intend to measure the current but I'm waiting on a friend to lend me his amp clamp.

Advertisement