Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how tight should a wetsuit be?

Options
  • 25-03-2013 10:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭

noob to the swim part of swim bike run.
    I have a wetsuit thats my size but feeling its a tight fit on the first time of trying it on!
    is this normal?
    any good instructional vids out there on how to get a tri wetsuit on and off for noobs?
    thanks in advance!
    john

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Yes it should feel tight. No folds or spaces. Not restrictive either. To get on easily, plastic bag over hand and foot. Getting off is easier if you put Vaseline on your ankles and forearms. Pull down to your ankles and step it off. Don't rub the inside of your goggle after applying has though :)

Or like this lass :)► 4:17► 4:17
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWrB2hu0ZBo

• Registered Users Posts: 44 enzeder

On a somewhat related note, does anyone know if it's possible to make a wetsuit tighter? I got my wetsuit a couple of years ago but have lost a little weight and changed shape a bit since then and now a fold or two has started to develop in the suit. I know that I should geta new suit but that won't be happening this season for financial reasons. Anyone know of a way I could make the current one a better fit in the meantime?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

enzeder wrote: »
    On a somewhat related note, does anyone know if it's possible to make a wetsuit tighter? I got my wetsuit a couple of years ago but have lost a little weight and changed shape a bit since then and now a fold or two has started to develop in the suit. I know that I should geta new suit but that won't be happening this season for financial reasons. Anyone know of a way I could make the current one a better fit in the meantime?

Haribo

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

I am sure some people put on weight and would exchange wetsuits.

Ps different folks different strokes but my wetsuit would be way tighter when i put them on before i go into the water they would be almost a little bit restricing, once i let some water through and straighten it up it would be very smugg. its like a 2nd skin for me and I never get chaving. I hate it if only the slighetest bit of water comes into my wetsuit so i really want it tight and no wrinkles. and they do strech once you hit the water and her suit would be way to lose. ( i assume for demo reasons it was the right wetsuit )
    if you feel hyperventalating and get nervous in tris, a loser chest aerea like hers would be good but for speed she woud be better of with a tighter fitting wetsuit
    wrinkles in wetsuits give me the creps given that hydrodynamics in swimming is huge.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

I was under the impression that Vaseline was bad for neoprene?

That's how I came to find myself in a field full of strangers smearing my extremities in KY-Jelly...honestly Guard...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭richiek67

enzeder wrote: »

Well, you could try an under arm..er that they use while playing football matches. These are quite tight normally and it would take up some slack I would say...My kids wear them, so does my wife...to keep warm!!

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭rooneyjm

cjt156 wrote: »

That's how I came to find myself in a field full of strangers smearing my extremities in KY-Jelly...honestly Guard...

I think its just something they say, i put it on the neck of a surfing wet suit and if never had any negative effect. What ever it does it cant be as bad as dancing on it to get it off.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

cjt156 wrote: »

Petroleum based product on rubber will cause the coated neoprene to break down over time. How much time depends on use, I suppose.

Suit juice and BodyGlide are better for slipping the suit on and off. Some use washing up liquid or baby oil (wouldn't recommend the baby oil).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭miller82

(wouldn't recommend the baby oil).

why so ?
    i've always used this and found it good

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

miller82 wrote: »
    why so ?
    i've always used this and found it good

Two reasons, oil - neoprene and most importantly if we ever get sunshine, you will be crispy in very sensitive areas neck, wrists, lower legs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭martin6651

As a scuba diver of many years i have always used talc for a tight fitting suit and vaseline will damage neoprene over time. The suit should be a tight snug fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

A wise but particularly hairy man once told me that if you can zip up your own suit then it's too big. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10 coper848

I just bought a chest-zip surfing wetsuit and tried it on for the first time last night, I got it on but was terrified I'd rip the seams holding the zips while I put it over my shoulders, I needed help for that part... There is also a gap at my lower back but I think that's because it's stretched.

Will the wetsuit loosen up or should I just send it back and get the larger size??

Thanks,

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

I have the same issue with a wetsuit that did fit me but now I've lost some weight is too big, there was a tonne of water in it last nite

Advertisement