Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repeating leaving cert to do vet med

Options
  • 25-03-2013 10:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi,

I'm 29 in 2 days and have finally decided I could actually do veterinary medicine! (I didn't work hard enough for my leaving and had a habit of self doubt and avoiding anything hard when I was younger)

I've been researching my options and it looks as thought repeating my leaving I'd the best one. I have an arts degree and a post grad but not science related and don't think I'd get into the grad program as the places are so limited.

I was wondering if someone could explain to me the repeating of the leaving...I got 445 first time so not enough and I didn't do chemistry so I definitely need to do that but am unsure about other subjects about how points are calculated etc do I need to repeat 6 subjects (including chemistry) or how would it work?

Any help would be great...my head is melted from trying to figure out how to finally give my dream a shot!!

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

Hi aislinnd.
    aislinnd wrote: »
    I've been researching my options and it looks as thought repeating my leaving I'd the best one. I have an arts degree and a post grad but not science related and don't think I'd get into the grad program as the places are so limited.

You could apply for the 5 year grad entry for those with a non science degree:
    The four year graduate entry programme is open to applicants who:
    hold an honours degree (NFQ Level 8) in a biological/ biomedical/animal science discipline at the level of a 2.2 Honours or above, a master’s degree or a PhD. (Graduates of any discipline are welcome to apply for entry to the five year MVB programme. Up to five places will be made available in DN300.)
    Candidates also need to be EU applicants (i.e. not deemed ‘overseas’ applicants for purposes of fees).
    Graduate entry candidates will be assessed on a combination of:
    • GAMSAT score
    • educational performance and
    • a personal statement outlining their motivation to study veterinary medicine.
    https://myucd.ucd.ie/program.do?programID=53
    aislinnd wrote: »
    I was wondering if someone could explain to me the repeating of the leaving...I got 445 first time so not enough and I didn't do chemistry so I definitely need to do that but am unsure about other subjects about how points are calculated etc do I need to repeat 6 subjects (including chemistry) or how would it work?

Points are calculated on your six best subjects from one sitting of the Leaving Cert. So with points for MVB being a minimum of 580 realistically you are looking at having to do all six subjects with approximately 5 at higher level. If you have covered the specific subjects looked for in your original Leaving Cert they can be counted towards the subject requirements but not the points if you are planning on using the points from your 2nd sitting of the LC.

I would suggest giving the college a ring to look at your options and see what they would suggest.

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Wisco

You would be eligible to apply for 5 yr grad entry, but keep in mind that it's almost €6000 more per year compared to the leaving cert route, so resitting the LC may be better.
    I know some of the grads are having a tough time funding it since fees are so high and the banks aren't being very helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭dtfo

Good luck!!!! Youre the same age I was when I decided to go back to get the points for Medicine. I didnt have a great leaving cert like you do and Im on track to get the points so it should be easy for you :)

If theres anything I can help you with dont hesitate to pm me

• Registered Users Posts: 23 khaki

Ive just turned 22 and planning on doing the same :-) I don't have a great leaving cert and only have one HC3, the course asks for 2. They also ask for passes in English irish and maths which I have from first time around.(hoping not to repeat these!)
    Does anyone know if I could use my passes from English irish and maths from my first leaving cert, and use my points and 2x HC3s from second time around? Not sure how combining results work!!
    Sorry for butting in on the thread, but it's the most recent one that I could find about repeating for veterinary!

• Registered Users Posts: 21 knock83

khaki wrote: »
    Ive just turned 22 and planning on doing the same :-) I don't have a great leaving cert and only have one HC3, the course asks for 2. They also ask for passes in English irish and maths which I have from first time around.(hoping not to repeat these!)
    Does anyone know if I could use my passes from English irish and maths from my first leaving cert, and use my points and 2x HC3s from second time around? Not sure how combining results work!!
    Sorry for butting in on the thread, but it's the most recent one that I could find about repeating for veterinary!
    As far as I know you can only use the points from one sitting of the LC unfortunately. I am open to stand corrected on this?

• Advertisement

You can combine subjects from more than one sitting of the Leaving Cert to make up the combination of subjects required for the course

However you can only use the points from one sitting of the Leaving Cert.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 imperial dovahkiin

Hi folks, I know this thread has been quiet for a while, but if you get a chance, maybe you could reply. I just to clarify what paperclip 2 was saying about subjects carrying over.

I've already done the LC, passed Irish and French and have maximum desire to repeat to gain more points, but no desire to repeat to a language, as I'd find it too difficult to study in my own time, especially with the new oral exams which are in place.

Am I right in thinking that I could go back and sit six subjects that I love in order to maximize points, and since I've already passed two languages, they dont have to be any of these six? For example, if I wanted to apply to University (which requires a pass in Irish and a foreign Language), that my original passes in these languages would suffice and I could use six different subjects to make up the points?

Hi folks, I know this thread has been quiet for a while, but if you get a chance, maybe you could reply. I just to clarify what paperclip 2 was saying about subjects carrying over.

I've already done the LC, passed Irish and French and have maximum desire to repeat to gain more points, but no desire to repeat to a language, as I'd find it too difficult to study in my own time, especially with the new oral exams which are in place.

Am I right in thinking that I could go back and sit six subjects that I love in order to maximize points, and since I've already passed two languages, they dont have to be any of these six? For example, if I wanted to apply to University (which requires a pass in Irish and a foreign Language), that my original passes in these languages would suffice and I could use six different subjects to make up the points?

Yes. You don't have to repeat the languages. You can chase the points by selecting the subjects you are best at seeing as you have already met the minimum language requirements.

Its simple really
    You can combine subjects over more than one LC for the subject entry requirements
    You cannot combine points from more than one LC, ie points are based on a single sitting of the LC.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 imperial dovahkiin

Thanks for thar paperclip 2, makes much more sense now :)

Seriously thinking about going for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Aru

As long as you have the Core they want...chem pass maths and english done etc you can do whatever combo you want.

I dropped english irish and math when I repeated to do vet(and got it second time round)...I did geography, chemistry, biology home ec, german and art to get the points. Its do able and the leaving cert is the easier route in!Though the points do seem to be skyrocketing in the last few years :(

However be very very sure that this is what you actually want..see experience with some vets in all areas if you can before you commit to the course.Its all well and good only wanting to do say large or smallies or horses but in reality its not that easy to get jobs in the areas you want when you qualify so you will need to be considering the fact you can end up on a 1 in 2 rota(working every second night and weekend plus everyday) in an area you didn't plan to ever touch in order to get experience and have a job. Jobs are not as easy to come by as they were either....I'm qualified a year now....i think there are roughly 10 out of a class of 80 working in Ireland...

• Advertisement

Aru, I'm curious to know where most if your class is working, if you know? Is it mostly UK or farther afield? I know most of the 4 yr grads in my class are from North America, so I assume they'll go back, but I'm interested to hear where the Irish end up.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Aru

The UK has most of my year.
    Lots in wales and england. Theres a good scatter in the north as well...though the pay can be low enough up there you do get accommodation and a car.
    One in oz,one to the Caymans for a while, 3 of the boys went to canada...I think 2 or 3 did the American match and were working as interns in the states as far as I've heard so far anyway..........and I think all bar one whos working in the uk (has an Irish/british passport) of the north americans went back to canada and the states.

Thanks, interesting to hear. Hve couple years to go, but already worried about prospects! Good to know they're working, even if its all over the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Diddlina

Hi anymore updates in this thread? i'm in the same position as the original poster. I want to go back to do Veterinary but I've no Chemistry. I've Irish, English, Maths and German requirments from the first time round. So I just need to get my points on my repeat leaving.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭diograis

you know the 2nd round's gone ya?

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Diddlina

I meant 2nd round of me doing the leaving. I've edited my post so it's not to be confused with cao offers :)

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭diograis

ahhh. best of luck :D

Advertisement