Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The grease/lubricant thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭sebastianlieken

I've seen aerosol cans of Silicone grease for €1 around. Is this the right stuff to be spraying on all my rubber bushes on the front end for a bit of preventative maintenance?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,222 ✭✭✭✭biko

Yeah silicone is fine on those.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭jharr100

I tried a few motor factors..( Halfords & dicksons) in Cork looking for some dielectric silicone grease for my Saab 95s DIC but no one seems to stock it or even know what I'm asking for.
    Anyone know of a seller in the Cork area?
    Thanks !

• Registered Users Posts: 13,620 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

I don't really think silicone grease is available in any ordinary shop here in Ireland. That's why I bought off ebay.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Any place that deals with O-rings should have it, electronic shops Maplins should have it over in the BP shopping centre.

• Advertisement

http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/maplin-silicone-grease-with-ptfe-200ml-n71an

Thanks for the replies. .
    is this the stuff?

No, the stuff I have is this stuff, pic is wrong but the description is correct.
    http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/servisol-multi-purpose-silicone-grease-50g-tube-re90x

Yes indeed ..
    In the shop now..
    Got a 50 tube ..
    Let's hope it helps!
    Thank you!

Hope it works for you.
    Merry Xmas!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

Hi Guys,

I have ordered a few bits to repair the rear brake caliper in my car and I have a question - where I can get a grease for the slide pins? I asked in the local motor factor, but with no success. Looks like they have no idea what I am talking about.

Any advice will be appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭316

Had they any red rubber grease?

316 wrote: »
    Had they any red rubber grease?
    No. Just the Copper Grease and a "Normal Grease" :) as they said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭316

Don't use the copper grease anyway even though alot of people do. Copper grease is anti sieze compound not a lubricant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭nd

When I was looking for the same I emailed Mintex about their ceratec. Asking was it suitable for the slide pins, including ones with rubber bushings. They said it was.

I used it (a few months ago) and it seemed very sticky to me. I haven't taken out the slide pins since to check them.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭landmarkjohn

I'm not a mechanic but I use sparingly Castrol LM, a high melting point grease on the slider pins..... had it for donkeys years..don't know if still available under that name.

I have read about "silicone grease" for this purpose.

I think a scrape of the copper grease on the back of the pad is a common practice to prevent squeel but modern pads don't seem to suffer as much.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭kkelly77

You need to use silcone paste/grease on the slide pins.

Copper grease will cause the rubber to perish.

kkelly77 wrote: »
    You need to use silcone paste/grease on the slide pins.

Copper grease will cause the rubber to perish.
    I have a bucket of copper grease. I would not use it obviously due to the above :).

The grease on MicksGarage looks good, but I would need it for tomorrow, so would love to source it locally.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭debabyjesus

Go to biggred.co.uk or to their ebay site and get some, just search slider grease on ebay. They used to send it in little tins but now they have little sachets. 1 satchet is enough for 2 calipers maybe a bit more, handy as you can order a few satchets and use as required. Motor factors just look at you like your mad for wanting fancy dan grease and can't fathom why you don't want to use copper grease on sliders, sure all the taxi men use copper grease buuuuddddd

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Audi-Fiat-Honda-Brake-caliper-Slider-Bolt-silicone-grease-sachets-2-x-RH10000-/271642431982?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item3f3f2691ee

Thanks for all suggestions, and just one more thing came to mind. I have found a sachet of some CV joint grease in my garage. I know it has its purpose, but it works in the rubber booth, so should be safe for the brake pin booth rubber also, which I am replacing tomorrow at a huge cost (main dealer prices). Until I get the right grease, would this grease be OK?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭nd

That's what johnboy said he uses and "he's never had a problem with it"

• Advertisement

I have a feeling that the rubber in the brake sliders and CV joints is not the same stuff, CV joint rubber is much more like polyurethane not natural rubber like the brake slider rubber.
    I may be wrong but I didn't take the chance, I bought a 500g tub of the red rubber grease from Ebay. Cost about 16 delivered.
    Probably enough for the rest of my lifetime.
    The thing with red rubber grease is that it can be used in contact with Brake fluid as well, lubricating the brake seals inside the caliper as well.
    Not sure if silicone grease is able to be used in that situation, probably a no-no if you are running DOT 5 as it may react.

CJhaughey wrote: »
    I have a feeling that the rubber in the brake sliders and CV joints is not the same stuff, CV joint rubber is much more like polyurethane not natural rubber like the brake slider rubber.
    I may be wrong but I didn't take the chance, I bought a 500g tub of the red rubber grease from Ebay. Cost about 16 delivered.
    Probably enough for the rest of my lifetime.
    The thing with red rubber grease is that it can be used in contact with Brake fluid as well, lubricating the brake seals inside the caliper as well.
    Not sure if silicone grease is able to be used in that situation, probably a no-no if you are running DOT 5 as it may react.
    Thanks CJ, makes sense. I wish you were based somewhere near me, so I could borrow some of your grease tomorrow, if that is not too much to ask :o? Otherwise I will order the stuff from eBay or Mick's.

Seweryn wrote: »
    Thanks CJ, makes sense. I wish you were based somewhere near me, so I could borrow some of your grease tomorrow, if that is not too much to ask :o? Otherwise I will order the stuff from eBay or Mick's.
    I am in Cork.

I am in Cork.
    Thanks CJ, a good bit away so.

I wonder what the main dealer's mechanics use for this kind of job?
    Ah, sure, never thought... They would replace the caliper with a new one if there was a problem...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Pov06

I bought a 500g tub of the red rubber grease from Ebay. Cost about 16 delivered.

Wow, a bit steep. You should have tried another motor factors. I usually go around to a few. Each one has their own good selection of products.

Is there any electrical wholesalers near you? They should carry silicone grease for electrical work, sometimes Plumbers have carry it as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Tony Beetroot

Are you near a halfords op?

Pov06 wrote: »
    Wow, a bit steep. You should have tried another motor factors. I usually go around to a few. Each one has their own good selection of products.
    Red rubber grease is not that common, even in good MF's they don't seem to carry it.
    Mail order is handy enough, for some things I could be traipsing around for a few hours looking in MFs and getting blank stares.

Are you near a halfords op?

Yes, we have them nearby.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Tony Beetroot

They should have the silicone grease anyway, might even have the red rubber grease. Try them and give an update later.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement