Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The grease/lubricant thread

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

They should have the silicone grease anyway, might even have the red rubber grease. Try them and give an update later.

OK, I will actually. However, I have checked their website, but didn't see anything like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

OK, so I have an update already... My OH collected the new slide pin and the rubber boot for the brake caliper from the dealer today, and received a sachet of grease as she asked for. Was told this this is not a copper grease or any multipurpose grease, just the right stuff for the job. I hope to get my hands dirty this evening on the task, so will see what it is.

Thanks again for your advise.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

Been using this the last week or two. Penetration into rusty bolts and other seized parts is amazing. Seems to do in 30 seconds what wd40 does overnight.
    aerpr4001.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭crasy dash

Where did you pick it up interslice what the cost?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

crasy dash wrote: »
    Where did you pick it up interslice what the cost?

My mate imports into work from the north. 3 quid a can. Haven't seen it in any motor factors here yet.

Have it here in caufields. http://www.caulfieldindustrial.com/citec-pocket-rocket-lubricating-spray/p-226239pd.html

Plusgas is supposed to be good to, haven't used it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

I couldn't really see any definitive answer here, so was wondering if anyone else had suggestions?

I've been having trouble with the rear brakes on my '12 Prius, and turns out one of the guide pins was completely seized. Toyota seem to suggest "lithium soap grease" though I'm not entirely sure of the specs - is that pretty much what the generic "multipurpose grease" from the likes of Comma and Carlube is? The Comma stuff claims to be good up to 120 degrees C - is that good enough for brake-related items? I ordered some Mintex Cera Tec which seems to be lube specific for brakes (incl. guide pins), will see how it goes. Whatever grease Toyota had was over €30 so I didn't bother with that (new pin was only €9!).

For any other hybrid/EV owners (with rear disc brakes): Definitely worth inspecting your rear guide pins at least every 2 years or so as the rear brakes get used so infrequently and they are well known to cause trouble if ignored, especially in areas where roads are salted a lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭Stravos Murphy

Red rubber grease not copper grease what 99.98% use.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

zilog_jones, I moved your post to a newer thread that deals specifically with grease

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement