Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards.ie Hyperlinks

Options
  • 25-03-2013 11:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭

I've noticed just today that boards seems to be automatically creating hyperlinks on posts to particular words. E.g. the word 'woman' has linked me to slimming classes and 'meet' to Real Russian Women.

I could do with the slimming classes to be fair but I don't think my woman would appreciate a Real Russian Woman landing on our doorstep. :eek:
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,437 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

As far as I remember, that's a virus type thing on your computer. It happened me before and it's a pain in the ass. It's called "Text Enhance".
    If you Google it, you should find out how to remove it. Or run a scan on your computer if you have anti-virus protection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Check out http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056843233 this thread here. Its more to do with your end of things than Boards end. If you run chrome or firefox the answer is in that thread.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Haven't seen it happening myself and I don't think anyone else has reported it, but I'll move this thread to Site Development and mark it as a bug for the tech guys.

EDIT: Ignore all that, just seen the posts above

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

I'll look in to it this end so - thanks folks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Boards.ie: Danny

As explained already Boards does not (and will not) run software that creates advertisements on key words in your posts. There are two possiblities for what you're experiencing:

1) An advertisement has surreptitiously included some dodgy javascript on your page which is responsible for the keyword advertising. This can be tested by refreshing the page so you have a different ad. If this fixes the problem then the next time it appears please report the two ads so we can verify they are dodgy and get them removed.

2) The much more likely cause is that some malware has been installed on your machine at which point there's not a lot we can do for you except recommend you follow ken's advice and scan/remove the offending software.

Danny

• Advertisement
Advertisement