Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bike Theft - Clonsilla

Options
  • 25-03-2013 11:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hi All,

Living in Clonsilla, Dublin just over 1 year now and my fiance bought me a brand new fold up Bike for Christmas for communting to work. I was disgusted and angry to come back and find that it was stolen from Clonsilla train station, the bike had two chains around it and was under the cameras and yet thieves still managed to get passed the watchful eyes of the staff in the train station...

If anybody is aware of any black and silver foldup bikes being sold second hand in the clonsilla/clonee area please keep me informed. Statement has been made to the Gardai ... Just becareful leaving bikes in Clonsilla station.

Gutted

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

A lot of commuter stations like that are hotspots for it. Front wheel of my bike got knicked out by cool mine last year. Wouldn't recommend locking bikes out there at all. There's been a few others that have been broken up because they couldn't get through the locks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Not wanting to sound nasty about this but this post has totally puzzled me - the whole idea behind fold up bikes is surely that you ride them to the station, fold them up and bring them on the train with you? I'm sorry for your loss OP

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

The only way some scumbag won't try to steal something is if they don't see it.

So I'd also recommend bringing it with you on the train.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭travist

I remember I saw some fella trying to rob a bike at Clonsilla station. He failed then got on the train (ticketless!) and got off at Broombridge, that was about a year ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭Surveyor11

I know it's too late, but you can hire secure bike lockers at Coolmine station, they're dedicated lockups for individual bikes. No way I'd leave a bike of any description at any station in Dublin - too many scumbags who, if they cant nick it, will gladly render your bike useless by robbing the saddle or some other form of pointless vandalism.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 GerWoods

The only reason I parked the bike at the station was due to the weather.. I got the bus from Docklands to work.

My question is, why are there so many bike thefts in the Stations in Dublin.. obviously Irish Rail are aware that this is happening however nothing seems to being done about it.. More than sure the attitude of the employee is "I don't get paid for that part"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

GerWoods wrote: »
    The only reason I parked the bike at the station was due to the weather.. I got the bus from Docklands to work.

My question is, why are there so many bike thefts in the Stations in Dublin.. obviously Irish Rail are aware that this is happening however nothing seems to being done about it.. More than sure the attitude of the employee is "I don't get paid for that part"
    Could you not have folded it and brought it on the train? That's what folding bikes are designed for

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭Surveyor11

why are there so many bike thefts in the Stations in Dublin.. obviously Irish Rail are aware that this is happening however nothing seems to being done about it.. More than sure the attitude of the employee is "I don't get paid for that part"

Because there's a market for it, my brother had a Scott road bike stolen in Waterford - bought for €800 and sold at a cash converters place for €100 so that gives an indication of the market out there. Others say it's the more organised theft - I've heard anecdotally of vans pulling up to Clonsilla in the middle of the afternoon, using a angle grinder to remove the locks of 10 or so particular bikes at a time in broad daylight, leaving the older ones behind and heading off without a word being said at a manned station.

My advice is to scour gumtree / donedeal / adverts, this is where these scum bags off load stolen gear. It's a hard lesson to learn, but moral is leave a bike nowhere that it can be tampered it. It's sad that's the way it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,074 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Surveyor11 wrote: »
    Because there's a market for it, my brother had a Scott road bike stolen in Waterford - bought for €800 and sold at a cash converters place for €100 so that gives an indication of the market out there. Others say it's the more organised theft - I've heard anecdotally of vans pulling up to Clonsilla in the middle of the afternoon, using a angle grinder to remove the locks of 10 or so particular bikes at a time in broad daylight, leaving the older ones behind and heading off without a word being said at a manned station.

My advice is to scour gumtree / donedeal / adverts, this is where these scum bags off load stolen gear. It's a hard lesson to learn, but moral is leave a bike nowhere that it can be tampered it. It's sad that's the way it is.

Has this been reported? Anyone taking pictures when they see this sh1t going on? Its not going to stop by itself, the community guards and local Councillors need to be badgered about it. If it continues its only a matter of time until we see what went on at locations in Kildare, cars being lifted off the street on flatbed trucks at commuter parking locations to be stripped and sold as parts.

My advice to those cycling to the stations is to pick up the worse piece of cr*p ton weight of a granny bike for 40 quid to get you there and leave your Scotts and Bromptons at home for the weekends.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Hi All,

Living in Clonsilla, Dublin just over 1 year now and my fiance bought me a brand new fold up Bike for Christmas for communting to work. I was disgusted and angry to come back and find that it was stolen from Clonsilla train station, the bike had two chains around it and was under the cameras and yet thieves still managed to get passed the watchful eyes of the staff in the train station...

If anybody is aware of any black and silver foldup bikes being sold second hand in the clonsilla/clonee area please keep me informed. Statement has been made to the Gardai ... Just becareful leaving bikes in Clonsilla station.

Gutted

I would have a look at the likes of Done Deal, Gumtree etc as well. Sorry for your loss, hope you find it

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Surveyor11 wrote: »
    I know it's too late, but you can hire secure bike lockers at Coolmine station, they're dedicated lockups for individual bikes. No way I'd leave a bike of any description at any station in Dublin - too many scumbags who, if they cant nick it, will gladly render your bike useless by robbing the saddle or some other form of pointless vandalism.

They aren't avail for casual use. You have to either rent periodically, or purchase for the sole use of the locker.

Where bikes are locked up, they're exposed and out of view of anyone working in the station, if indeed they are still working in the station at the times of the thefts. Both Irish Rail and Qpark (who run any carparks) deny liability for vandalism and/or theft, meaning they aren't to bothered about putting up surveillance, other than for monitoring spaces in the event they need clampers sent out. People who have the time looking to steal bikes know of this.

Its an unfortunate case of, you need to be weary of where you lock up your bike. Along with the type of equipment you use to lock it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

They would be right. You leave your bike there at your own risk as Irish Rail dont have a Bike minding service.
    Did you mention it to the booking office that you bike was stolen?
    There may be a good chance that it was captured on camera as others have been before.

Advertisement